W8 Light Installation Tutorial

Ok now Complete.

Apologies for the state of the car. It's getting cleaned tomorrow hopefully.

Firstly this is a few pics of the preparation. The light is normally light grey so i used Halfords Matt black spray paint to spray it. I masked up vital bits and put bluetac over the LED's

bb202004.jpg

d895f0d6.jpg

dc99574c.jpg

Now this is the trim tool i have which i got from halrauds some time ago iirc cost about £8

P1010099.jpg

Using this tool remove the Plastic Bulb cover

P1010100.jpg

Once inside undo the 2 screws (careful you don't drop them)

P1010101.jpg

Gently using the trim tool remove the Light unit and undo the electrical connector you can see on the left. The other wire is the Mic for the FISCON kit.

P1010102.jpg

Next remove the Trim from the A Pillar by firmly but slowly pulling it away. Dont yank as its only held in by 4 white plastic lugs.

P1010103.jpg

Then remove the fuse box cover

P1010104.jpg

Then remove the light switch by pushing in, turning to the sidelight position and pulling out.

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

Now connect the wire loom to the original lighting loom.

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

Next run the wire along the top of the windscreen and down A Pillar then behind the fuses until you have the wire poking through the hole which the headlight switch normally sits. Ive left it sticking out for the picture just tuck it in along the headlining

P1010112.jpg

Now you need to find a Permanent live feed (in my case the blue and grey wire) to get the LED's to work

P1010107.jpg

I used a Scotchlock connector to save chopping wires

P1010113.jpg

Check all is working

P1010115.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Then put the unit back in the hole in the roof. It will fit and also take note that the screws cant be used as the holes don't marry up. But trust me its a tight fit so it aint gonna fall out.

And fully fitted

P1010117.jpg

Apologies not as detailed as normal but i had a bit of a mare trying to find which wire was perm live.

Any comments or questions feel free

Carl :thumbup:

Edited by vRSCarl
  • Like 1

Basically you get the "Cat-Vision" LED lighting.

So at night you get the Soft red glow in the Cabin a la Passat W8 and other cars these days

It's not intrusive and you don't notice it (apart from you can see to get the change for the toll :giggle: )

Im just doing loads of cosmetic mods lately. So far done or doing

Drivers Seat Storage Box

Door Handle LED's

W8 Light

Shark Fin Antenna

A few more to come.

Plus because your night vision is now maintained you can drive quicker at night and the red led's add 20bhp & 30lb/ft each to the car :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Edited by vRSCarl

Is that the toe rag mirror? I thought you can get these in black too?

EDIT: ah you're using the light version, you know you can get the mirror from the toerag with the LED's? It's plug and play too. But maybe you don't have the auto mirror?

Edited by Micky 32

OK, how did you mask off the symbols on the switches to allow the backlighting then or are you just going to scrape carefully with a knife blade one the paint is dry?!

Also, the Towrag mirror - is it >really< plug and play? I#'ve got an auto dip mirror and would just luuuurve to fit the Touareg unit.........assuming I could find one that is. If it >is< plug and play then it would save a lot of buggering about!

OK, how did you mask off the symbols on the switches to allow the backlighting then or are you just going to scrape carefully with a knife blade one the paint is dry?!

Also, the Towrag mirror - is it >really< plug and play? I#'ve got an auto dip mirror and would just luuuurve to fit the Touareg unit.........assuming I could find one that is. If it >is< plug and play then it would save a lot of buggering about!

Yep totally plug and play. They use the exact same mirror. If you look at the bottom of your vRS auto mirror you can see blanks where the LED's would be.

I haven't masked off the buttons as the ones on the vRS aren't lit normally so not too bothered. I had a go with a pin and knife etc but buggered it up so just resprayed it and will leave them black. It wad the Catvision I was after.

Great job! Looks great!

I am looking into making the same mod.

Though I am between getting the W8 light or the rear view mirror of a Touareg which I read it's plug and play!

Does the touareg rear view mirror require wiring also?

At the moment I have the auto dimming rear view mirror.

any ideas?

Next remove the Trim from the A Pillar by firmly but slowly pulling it away. Dont yank as its only held in by 4 white plastic lugs.

If you have curtain airbags fitted, your see the little AirBag badge on the pillar cover - you need to remove this (it just pops off), and remove the screw underneath before pulling the cover off.

You'll also need to take extra care when routing the cable so not to interfere with the airbag - a but of tape helps fix it to the body work. What ever you do, don't cable tie it to the airbag emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Edited by No Waiting

I'm gonna be doing this for my car, but i've managed to track down the part number for the Superb version if anyone's interested.

3U0 947 105 2EN I gave that to the dealer and it came up with the grey one, i just had to ask for beige instead. Should be here Tuesday.

3U0947105F2EN.jpg

Hope that helps someone.

Rob

• Like 1

Yep, I'll be looking for the grey Superb one when I get round to it. Just think it looks a bit more suitable, with the green backlighting for the other functions.

Steve

I've read things about connecting the 12v power feed to the dimmer rather than the light switch. makes sense, although i had a look and couldnt work out how to get the dimmer out!

anyone done it this way before or have any idea of how to?

You dont need to go anywhere near the dimmer. The grey and blue cable to the light switch is a dimmed feed from the lighting controller and runs the illuminated symbols on the switch itself that respond to the dimmer command. The dimmer isn't really a dimmer as such, it's all to do with duty cycling because all of the interior night lighting is LED driven. You'll notice they all flicker slightly when set low.

Don't go hooking up a 'raw' 12v feed to the dimmer - you could do some expensive damage.

Edited by dstev2000

You dont need to go anywhere near the dimmer. The grey and blue cable to the light switch is a dimmed feed from the lighting controller and runs the illuminated symbols on the switch itself that respond to the dimmer command. The dimmer isn't really a dimmer as such, it's all to do with duty cycling because all of the interior night lighting is LED driven. You'll notice they all flicker slightly when set low.

Don't go hooking up a 'raw' 12v feed to the dimmer - you could do some expensive damage.

I'm somewhat glad i asked the question now! Thanks for clearing that up... blue and grey wire it is!

Just can't wait for the light and loom to arrive now :D

You can get the screws to go back in they go in at an angle, push one through the hole in the holder and look over the top and guide the screw into the hole the second one goes in no problem after that :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the superb unit ever came with a sunroof control on it? My mk1 Octy has a sunroof so a normal W8 panel won't cut the mustard. In the past I've just modified the existing unit and put LEDs into it, but I quite like the backlit buttons on the superb unit. :) I presume it is just plug and play too with the superb unit, removing the need to attach the wires to anything?

P.S., in the past I've used a power feed off the sunroof for my LEDs - perfect really as it is only ever powered when the ignition is on and removes the need to take a seperate feed from anywhere else.

Rob's got a Skoda again! When did that happen? :)

Yes, I do believe there was a Catvision Sunroof model. Was going to get one when I had my last Fab (with a sunroof). Remember the quote being quite pricey though - £80ish?

Steve