Octavia vRS Tyres

I'm on my second VAG group car with OE Contis and I'm massively underwhelmed with them. I had a Cupra TDI 150 before and replaced the Contis with Eagle F1 GSD3s, and they were a massive improvement - better grip in all situations and better life too. I am looking forward to my current tyres wearing out on my petrol vRS as the grip levels they offer are extremely poor in the wet and dry and they are very noisy to boot. Price is a consideration so considering the positive review I may plump for the Vreds when the time comes.

Well just been for a service and my tyres are worn out! Hurrah! Grip at last!

Struggling to find an online tyre place that sells my 3 top choices:

Michelin Primacy

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

Goodyear Hydragrip

225/40/18

Can find the odd one but it's not as easy as I thought!

You will struggle with two of those tyres, Michelin don't make the Primacy in that size and Goodyear don't make the Hydragrip anymore.

In that size you really want to be looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or 3, or the Exalto. In the Goodyear it's Eagle F1 Asymmetric, the older F1 Eagle GSD3 or maybe the Excellence.

Vredestein still make the Ultrace Sessanta and it has a lot of fans on here.

I have tried the Toyos on the front of my VRS and where OK for about 5K then very quickly lost any grip and my confidence. Now have Vreds on the front and a huge improvement on the Toyos and Contis. Will be replacing the Contis at the back with Vreds when the time comes.

Just had a pair of Vreds fitted on the front. Far too early to say about grip as the releasing agent is not even worn off but they are more compliant and quieter than the Contis. £120 a tyre was not the cheapest but they had them in and it was still cheaper than other brands. Apart from Wanli of course.

Just had a pair of Vreds fitted on the front. Far too early to say about grip as the releasing agent is not even worn off but they are more compliant and quieter than the Contis. £120 a tyre was not the cheapest but they had them in and it was still cheaper than other brands. Apart from Wanli of course.

You paid too much! £100 pound a corner is right:thumbup:

• Like 1

I've been using Avon ZV3 on my Galant and Avon ZZ3 on my Fiesta ST. Very impressed, particularly on ST where they are stressed a little more. Got 15k out of fronts, mostly commuting + driving on N Yorkshire potholes - sorry I meant lanes. Good in wet and dry and a little cheaper than mainstream brands.

I've just done the usual weekly-ish check of tyres pressures etc and noticed that my Falken FK452's are virtually worn out. I drove the car for the first time in ages on Friday (wife uses it mostly as baby transport) and the grip had gone off quite a bit. Only been on the car about 9,500 miles and now down to 3mm all over - at least they have worn evenly. Bit alarmed that I got such a small amount of miles out of them. The previous owner had fitted Michelin PS2's and claimed to have got circa 17-20k miles out of them. In which case pound-per-mile the Michelins would work out cheaper, which is quite suprising.

When I had the FK452's fitted the tyre fitter was running Kumho KU31's on his Octy vRS and was really pleased with them. So if anyone has any opinions on these and the likely mileage I'd be interested to know. Also I'd be interested what kind of mileage all you vred-heads get out of the Sessanta's (driven wheels) and mixed driving - say 50%/50% between motorways and town. Ideally I'd like to find a mid-price tyre that offers a good balance of grip and wear. Not interested in outright performance.

Time flies, looked through my receipts and i changed all vreds in June 2008, not last year and have 3 and half left on front done 9000 on them. .90% town miles though. Plenty left on rears :thumbup:

Have Conti's on at the mo....and they're OK, but have Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics on the Golf and would rate them higher...though come change time I just might give the Vreds a go as people seem to like them on here.

Yes they probably are very good in the wet ................

at finding ditches, hedges, trees!! :o so don't even think about them :no:

I've heard good things from the Vreds and the Goodyear F1As

Buying a new car and these tyres are on all 4 corners. Didn't think they were that bad, very wide grooves.

This is all good stuff guys.

I have been reading the reviews on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-PS2.htm for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and they sound extreamly good. Any one got anything to add?

Edited by benjamino

We went for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. Very Happy with them - they do feel much harder in the cold so we are considerring getting winter tyres for next year (better below 7 Centrigrade). We have 2 sets of wheels so thie will not be an isue.

Did not go out in the snow as we live on a big hill!

Previously had Toyo T1-R on 2 cars an Imprezza Turbo and MOndeo TDCi estate they worked well on both. Many Scooby owners are switching to Vreds from Toyos - I must say I reckon some is fashion. Dunlops Sport maXX (not TT) on the car when we bought it were really poor - always had traction light on when pulling away!

We paid just under £100 a corner for the vreds!

Just been quoted £423 all in for 4 Vred Sessantas in 225 40 18 92Y XL size, does that seem about right ? Some info regarding wear rates would be useful so I can make a meaningful comparison to Michelin PS2/3's and whether the additional £150 for the set of 4 is worth spending to get the extra miles ! If Sessanta's are only going to last say 10k miles on the driven wheels then the Michelin's will work out cheaper as info from a previous owner suggests I should get 17-20k from them.

I've just done the usual weekly-ish check of tyres pressures etc and noticed that my Falken FK452's are virtually worn out. I drove the car for the first time in ages on Friday (wife uses it mostly as baby transport) and the grip had gone off quite a bit. Only been on the car about 9,500 miles and now down to 3mm all over - at least they have worn evenly. Bit alarmed that I got such a small amount of miles out of them. The previous owner had fitted Michelin PS2's and claimed to have got circa 17-20k miles out of them. In which case pound-per-mile the Michelins would work out cheaper, which is quite suprising.

When I had the FK452's fitted the tyre fitter was running Kumho KU31's on his Octy vRS and was really pleased with them. So if anyone has any opinions on these and the likely mileage I'd be interested to know. Also I'd be interested what kind of mileage all you vred-heads get out of the Sessanta's (driven wheels) and mixed driving - say 50%/50% between motorways and town. Ideally I'd like to find a mid-price tyre that offers a good balance of grip and wear. Not interested in outright performance.

My FK452s have lasted about 9k and are down to 2mm on the front and 5mm at the rear. They're all wearing very unevenly though and are all verging on illegal at the moment so they're all being replaced with Sessantas and getting 4 wheel laser alignment, no doubt at great expense. A mate has Sessantas on his scooby and says theyre the best tyres he's ever had (and he's had a few performance cars with 'premium tyres'), so they can't be bad.

I found Sessantas on ebay for £86 a corner new including postage. (225/40/R18)

Edited by DangerMouse

Out of interest, does anyone have a copy of EVO magazine from around September 2007 (issue no 110) that has the tyre test in it - when Sessanta's came in 2nd I think ? Would anyone be able to scan / pdf and email the tyre test article to me ? Bit of a long shot, but worth an ask I guess ! Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update.

I have ordered, and received, a pair of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225/40/18 92Y XL tyres from http://www.elitedirect.com/ for £86.95 a corner, delivered. They also have a shop on eBay. I ordered on Sunday eve and they arrived Tue am, excellent. Getting them fitted at the weekend at my local ATS for a tenner each. Makes them £96.95 a corner, which if I'm right makes them a BLOODY good price!

Just had to replace 4 tyres on mine. Sadly couldnt afford to blow 500 quid on some branded tyres so i went for 4 Maxxis for 260 all in.

For the price im pretty happy with them. Road noise is much less than the Dunlops that were on there and grip isnt too bad either.

• 1 year later...

THREAD RESSURECTION!

Well I thought this might be worth ressurecting the thread for.

I'm replacing my fronts again which were Vreds with some more of the same. Got 15,000 miles out of the original set of tyres the car came with and 15,000 out of the Vreds too, although there's still 1mm left I suppose.

Can def recommend the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta after the 18 months or so I've had them!

Edited by ardandy

I'm a Falken fan ... brilliant tyres.

If they are good enough for my Impreza Turbo, they are good enough for anything.

I replaced my contisport 3 with Falken(half price BTW £75 a corner)

And found they are just as good as Conti and wear down a lot slower!