Octavia I vRS stalling after replacing air mass flow meter

My mk 1 vrs estate had been running a bit lumpy for some time and after looking at the symptons on this forum i decided to disconnect the air mass flow meter to see if it ran better on the factory settings. It did, so i bought a replacement (bosch) which i have just fitted. Once it was all reconnected i turned the engine over which ran fine for a few seconds but then it coughed and spluttered and finally stalled. So i disconnected the new air mass meter and it runs fine again!!! Can anyone shed a bit of light as to what might be wrong?

Welcome to Briskoda. I have moved your query to the Octavia I forum where it is more likely to get an informed response.

You mention that you fitted a Bosch MAF. Did you buy it from a Skoda dealer or elsewhere, and is it the same part number as the original MAF - assuming that the original one had not already been replaced?

Welcome to Briskoda. I have moved your query to the Octavia I forum where it is more likely to get an informed response.

You mention that you fitted a Bosch MAF. Did you buy it from a Skoda dealer or elsewhere, and is it the same part number as the original MAF - assuming that the original one had not already been replaced?

Thanks for moving the the quetsion. I bought it from a reputable car parts company. I checked the part number with the one i replaced before swapping them over.

you may need to get the codes reset so that the "learned values" or Adaptation gets refreshed ?

Thanks for the feed back. I have a mate popping round sometime who has all the diagnostics so will see if it shows any fault codes. Will let you know the outcome,

Guest westallc

wouldnt be the first brand new one thats failed out of the box not uncommon with these units

deffo sounds like it take maf back and get another

Edited by westallc

If putting the old one back on gets the car running again, then i would certainly say there's an issue with the replacement MAF.

Putting the old one back does the same as the new one! Its when you disconnect the maf and it runs on the factory settings that it runs absolutely fine!

Got Bosco to pop around to mine last night and put his original MAF on my vrs and all was good, not one problem?

Soon as we put it back on his car, splutter splutter and then stalled, disconnect it and his can runs fine again!

Any ideas as its not the MAF, cables? something else?

Do you have a copy of Vag-com?

Clear any fault codes if so, sometimes just replacing the part won't fix it if it still has a stored fault code.

You can also log the MAF values with Vag-Com as well. At full chat (redline in 3rd or 4th) a VRS should show a MAF value of around 150, if it's much less than that then the MAF is faulty.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Do you have a copy of Vag-com?

Clear any fault codes if so, sometimes just replacing the part won't fix it if it still has a stored fault code.

You can also log the MAF values with Vag-Com as well. At full chat (redline in 3rd or 4th) a VRS should show a MAF value of around 150, if it's much less than that then the MAF is faulty.

Car getting looked at this week by a mate who has diagnostics so should hopefully know more at the end of the week. Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated as its starting to do my head in!

Got Bosco to pop around to mine last night and put his original MAF on my vrs and all was good, not one problem?

Soon as we put it back on his car, splutter splutter and then stalled, disconnect it and his can runs fine again!

Any ideas as its not the MAF, cables? something else?

Thanks for the use of your pride and joy fella! Glad i didn't knacker it!!!

Finally got the car sorted on saturday! Mate popped round with diagnostics, plugged her in, cleared the fault and all was good. A very pleased owner slipped a twenty his way and everyone was happy! Seems to be running better than before so far!!! :D

Finally got the car sorted on saturday! Mate popped round with diagnostics, plugged her in, cleared the fault and all was good. A very pleased owner slipped a twenty his way and everyone was happy! Seems to be running better than before so far!!! :D

This is what I found just last week when I cleaned out my throttle body then the MAF, still had a rough idle problem. But when I cleared the codes with VAG-COM, it was fine again