Octavia II 2l TDI - Diesel accumulating on top of Fuel Filter Housing

Hi All

Just checked my oil and ending up mopping up diesel from the top of the fuel filter housing. Can't find any obvius signs of cracked or dameged hoses. Any other ideas? Have any of you experienced this? What is the best solution (replase all hoses and top of filter housing?

Thanks

Hi All

Just checked my oil and ending up mopping up diesel from the top of the fuel filter housing. Can't find any obvius signs of cracked or dameged hoses. Any other ideas? Have any of you experienced this? What is the best solution (replase all hoses and top of filter housing?

Thanks

Are you sure it's fuel and not water as the bonnet/wing meet just above the filter.

Are you sure it's fuel and not water as the bonnet/wing meet just above the filter.

Yep its diesel - hands were covered in it afterwards. If I had just washed the car I would understand. Also it has just done 80 miles of dual carriageway driving in nice blue sky. I notice that the metal pipe from the top of one part of the filter going into a hose toward the front of the engine is slightly rusty looking. I am wondering if if could just be some corrosion causing the fuel to spray out on top of the housing?

Anyway washed it, dried it and will now monitor - fingers are crossed.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Done a fuel filter change last weekend and ended up with the same problem but to a greater extent (F*&%king Diesel everywhere) and ended up loosing half a tank over a one day work run (40 miles). Turns out the large "main" sealing ring inside the housing had been wrongly situated into the housing (as thats where it was found when first cracked open). Infact it is supposed to be streched around section of the lid which goes into the housing and not just slipped onto the ridge inside the housing. As obvious at it sounds (and looks) it took a bit of digging on the internet to see this job done when it soon became apparent where we went wrong. Although you may not have tampered with your fuel filter there may be a chance the seal has either perished or slipped down slightly. If this is the case there is a small gap at the top of the filter housing where a screw driver (or a fancy key of some sorts) is used to prize the lid off if there is still a vacume in the housing, if the seal has slipped fuel can (and will) pee from this gap and is easily detectable by simply turning the key to start the fuel pump up (no need to crank the engine). i've been told by a friend that diesel around this area can by dodgy as the cam belt is located under the fuel filter housing and the diesel acts as a lubricant causing the belt to either "slip" or perish. I don't mean to worry you or sound too negative towards your situation but if can help you or anyone else in the future it's worth checking (if only for the £30 worth of diesel if nothiong else).

After finding more fuel on top of the fuel filter housing I have now found the cause. After running the engine at idle and then turning it off I could hear a small syphon type sound coming from one of the hoses attached the to the top of the fuel filter housing. The metal pipe the hose goes onto is slightly corroded. When I squeezed the hose around the metal pipe the noise stopped. I think it basically means that top of the fuel filter housing needs replacing and the hose does as well. I could probably clean up the corroded part of the metal - but I fear the same would happen in months to come. Any idea of the cost of the fuel filter housing and hose for a BKD (2.0 TDI engine)?

After finding more fuel on top of the fuel filter housing I have now found the cause. After running the engine at idle and then turning it off I could hear a small syphon type sound coming from one of the hoses attached the to the top of the fuel filter housing. The metal pipe the hose goes onto is slightly corroded. When I squeezed the hose around the metal pipe the noise stopped. I think it basically means that top of the fuel filter housing needs replacing and the hose does as well. I could probably clean up the corroded part of the metal - but I fear the same would happen in months to come. Any idea of the cost of the fuel filter housing and hose for a BKD (2.0 TDI engine)?

I found it was well worth painting some kurust or similar on top of the filter housing lid, purely because water regularly collects in there and can cause rust. The kurust basically forms a rust proof barrier and reduces problems.

As well as Kurust, you can also use some of the bilt hamber products and they actually do ones that can take rusted metal back to clean metal before treating it with their products.

• 2 weeks later...

An update - replaced the hose clip after cutting the hose slightly shorter - still leaked diesel but found that sucking air noise had gone. Problem appeared to be the washer on the vent screw - it has corroded from the outside edge in to the middle. Replaced it and hey presto no more leak - I never would have thought it could have been that!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

An update - replaced the hose clip after cutting the hose slightly shorter - still leaked diesel but found that sucking air noise had gone. Problem appeared to be the washer on the vent screw - it has corroded from the outside edge in to the middle. Replaced it and hey presto no more leak - I never would have thought it could have been that!!!!!!!!!!

I'm correct in thinking you're talking about the small metal washer, that lives between the bleed screw on the top yes?

Got a little bit of scuzz on mine, so will replace that at the next filter change I think.