Has anyone installed a cigarette socket in the top dash box?

Anyone? I want to have one installed then put a USB adaptor into it so I can power my Garmin Satnav from there. I'm not sure if there's room or not?

Pictures would be great if you have 'em B)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone? I want to have one installed then put a USB adaptor into it so I can power my Garmin Satnav from there. I'm not sure if there's room or not?

I'm thinking about doing something similar. I might hide the gubbins to go from 12v to 5v under the box and just put a flush fit USB showing in the top box. Might be tidier that way?

I'm thinking about doing something similar. I might hide the gubbins to go from 12v to 5v under the box and just put a flush fit USB showing in the top box. Might be tidier that way?

I've been trying to find a flush fit usb connection with the step down gubbins for 12 - 5v but can't find one. So I plan to use this tiny USB adapter here -

a50jk.jpg

I've been trying to find a flush fit usb connection with the step down gubbins for 12 - 5v but can't find one. So I plan to use this tiny USB adapter here -

a50jk.jpg

I don't suppose it would be that hard to take out the gubbins from a cheapy cigarette lighter USB thingy and rewire the terminals directly to a standard usb socket designed for flush mounting.

I bought one of those USB charger things (a Belkin), but unfortunately when I use it with my Garmin Nuvi SatNav it thinks it's plugged into a PC, so it will charge but you can't actually use it.

In the end I just bought a cigarette adapter for the original Garmin charger and wired it into the fusebox.

Do you mean like I have don ?

IMG_5360.jpg

Edited by vrs_viking

I was hoping to have the cigarette lighter socked mounted flush, just like the OEM one is in the centre console.

I know it it’s not the most OEM install but I didn’t bother doing it cleaner sins it wouldn’t be visible under the tomtom docking station I have made.

But I serves it purpose by applying power to the unit ;)

IMG_5479.jpg

Edited by vrs_viking

I know it it’s not the most OEM install but I didn’t bother doing it cleaner sins it wouldn’t be visible under the tomtom docking station I have made.

IMG_5479.jpg

Now that is nice! Good job :)

That's awesome. I was just thinking about doing something similar myself!

What model tomtom is that? Does it switch on/off with the ignition [like the oem nav] or do you still have to hit the switch manually?

That's awesome. I was just thinking about doing something similar myself!

What model tomtom is that? Does it switch on/off with the ignition [like the oem nav] or do you still have to hit the switch manually?

It’s a tomtom GO 960T.

Sadly I have to switch it on manually. But at least I don’t have to be bothered with all the wires hanging around

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

And here is my startup picture

splashw.jpg

can I ask what you manfatured the dockings station out off ? looks realy good :thumbup: was thinking of doing something similar myself

and can you tell me how to remove the vents and tray from the dash without breaking it :thumbup:

Edited by chorsley

a50jk.jpg

:thumbup: Bought one of these from Maplins last night (last one left)... excelent buy ....fit in nicely flush with the top and the green light matches the ones on the climate control

Edited by a_Duncan

IMG_5479.jpg

Now that's F***ing brilliant, Let me buy you a beer

• 3 weeks later...

a50jk.jpg

These are now £5.99 at Maplins, I bought 2 :thumbup:

Hi all,

I've finally had the work done, the Cigarette adaptor has tapped into a switched live so the unit will prompt you for if you want it to turn off when you turn igntion off. It will also power up automatically when you turn the key.

First picture is of the storage box open, you'll see the new cigarette socket installed in lower right, space is tight but I had a resolution for that. Also, upper right you can see the disk that came with my Garmin 1690 and I've attached it to the underside of the storage box.

CigAdapt.jpg

Next is a picture of the tiny right angle USB extender that I will use to get access to the socket micro USB (from Maplin).

lead.jpg

Here is that same lead now connected to the Maplin micro USB adapter that I have fitted to the cigarette socket.

USB.jpg

And finally, in situ. The Sat Nav is at just the right height and much closer to the steering wheel that it would be if mounted on the screen. The disk holds it securely, but if all else fails and it falls off, it won't go far because it's attached by the USB cable.

Satnav.jpg

I'm quite happy with this, I didn't do the electrics myself by the way, I used an auto electrician recommended by my Skoda dealer :thumbup:

Very nice indeed - do you know where the switched live connection was taken from? Was it taken off the radio?

Very nice indeed - do you know where the switched live connection was taken from? Was it taken off the radio?

I've sent a text message to the sparky that did it with just that question! At first he said swtiched live might be tricky due to the CAN on these cars. I imagine he trailed a wire to the fuse box but when I know for sure I'll let you all know.