Marshal Tyres

Just went to have a puncture fixed (thought it would be a new tyre but local expert fixed it good). While nattering I mentioned the forum and asked him if he did Falkens. He said they were not easy to get locally (Brighton) but in any case recommended Marshal for my car (Octy 2 1.8TSi hatch).

I'd never heard of Marshal. Has anyone got anything to report on them? Value, noise, wear, handling etc.?

Same stable as Kumho - sometimes branded Marshal for the UK market (sounds more English apparently !) KU31 is a pretty decent tyre, similar in price and performance to the Falken FK452. Protyre (Micheldever Tyres) stock Falken, try their website. Competitive prices and plenty of branches around the UK, sure there must be one close to you. www.protyre.co.uk

Just went to have a puncture fixed (thought it would be a new tyre but local expert fixed it good). While nattering I mentioned the forum and asked him if he did Falkens. He said they were not easy to get locally (Brighton) but in any case recommended Marshal for my car (Octy 2 1.8TSi hatch).

I'd never heard of Marshal. Has anyone got anything to report on them? Value, noise, wear, handling etc.?

I had a Marshal tyre blow out on the back of my van today.

I normally put Michelins on as they last 20000miles but this one must have been done by the garage at a service. don't plan on using them again.

Try blackcircles.co.uk

As said, Marshal are a brand name of Kumho tyre Co. They sit at the top of the budget brands. I have used the Kumho KU31's and found them to be an excellent tyre and they have good ratings in the German ADAC tyre tests and actually beat some of the premium brands. I'm not sure whether Marshal are the lower-spec versions of Kumho tyres - might be worth just going straight for a Kumho.

As said, Marshal are a brand name of Kumho tyre Co. They sit at the top of the budget brands. I have used the Kumho KU31's and found them to be an excellent tyre and they have good ratings in the German ADAC tyre tests and actually beat some of the premium brands. I'm not sure whether Marshal are the lower-spec versions of Kumho tyres - might be worth just going straight for a Kumho.

try www.camskill.co.uk great company to use and some real good prices. they stock falkens as well, I had them on my VXR and no complaints for the price but make sure you get the FK452's as mentioned ;)

Repeating myself here.........Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta. Accept no substitute.

Personally I think if you fit cheap crap like Marshall Ditchfinders you lack self preservation and possess scant regard for other road users. Do everybody a favour and fit something that actually provides some friction between your and the road surface!

One of the junior guys at work who to be fair not very well paid had two Marshall and two Federal something or others on his Honda Civic and asked me if I would take a drive as he though he had a gearbox issue. I scared myself silly the first time I braked. I actually thought there was something wrong with the brakes as the wheels locked up so easily but no, it was just the ****e tyres! I suggested he should fit something a little better, especially as he carried his little'un in the car and to his credit, he replaced two at the MOT because they were borderline and another two a couple of months later. Fitted some cheapish Pirelli's but they were in a completely different league to the ditchfinders.

Seriously until you actually experience cheap tyres after using decent ones its not necessarily apparent how bad they are and there are so many cheap and nasty tyres out there with sexy tread patterns aimed at Clio Boy that sometimes its hard to tell them apart.

Definately look for some decent tyres. IMO the worst tyre ever is the Federal. I had them on the Focus, but they were so bad I had them replace with Firestones before they were even part worn. With me it wasnt braking, it was dry road grip. I even managed to get stuck in a country lane passing pace in Cornwall at one point!!

The guy is asking about Marshal, not Federal. I have never driven on a Marshal, but if they are anything like the Kumho KU31 they are fine, and certainly not a 'ditchfinder'. If you look at the Autoexpress test they outperformed Yokohama C-Drive and the Pirelli's, so not exactly 'crap'. My experience of the KU31's is very good indeed and I would certainly buy them again.

The problem with tyres is that there are so many opinions. I currently have Continentals on the vRS and the Sessantas on the Golf GTi. IMHO the Conti's are the better tyre. They are wearing quicker but grip is better. In last year's ADAC Summer tyre test the Sessantas scored 84%, not brilliant/ Weak point was dry braking performance. I'm not knocking anyone for buying Sessantas, but I'll not be buying them again.

I've not used marshall, but i used to use Federal SS595's on the front of the Astra Coupe Turbo.

They never had any harsh undesirable effects and gripped quite well for the price, by no means are they a superior tyre. They use to break traction pretty gradually rather than snatching.

But they really showed up the cak Maxxis MA-V1's that the previous owner had on the back.

I should have taken notice the first time around when the back end got twitchy in cold conditions.

Im actually tempted to buy some more Federal SS595's for the front of the Octy, as at 8k my Sessanta's up front are just about worn out on the insides (camber from lowering springs, mixed in with some hard accelerating).

Edited by Browny_37

Repeating myself here.........Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta. Accept no substitute.

Personally I think if you fit cheap crap like Marshall Ditchfinders you lack self preservation and possess scant regard for other road users. Do everybody a favour and fit something that actually provides some friction between your and the road surface!

One of the junior guys at work who to be fair not very well paid had two Marshall and two Federal something or others on his Honda Civic and asked me if I would take a drive as he though he had a gearbox issue. I scared myself silly the first time I braked. I actually thought there was something wrong with the brakes as the wheels locked up so easily but no, it was just the ****e tyres! I suggested he should fit something a little better, especially as he carried his little'un in the car and to his credit, he replaced two at the MOT because they were borderline and another two a couple of months later. Fitted some cheapish Pirelli's but they were in a completely different league to the ditchfinders.

Seriously until you actually experience cheap tyres after using decent ones its not necessarily apparent how bad they are and there are so many cheap and nasty tyres out there with sexy tread patterns aimed at Clio Boy that sometimes its hard to tell them apart.

I'm not fitting anything. My car has only done 8600 miles so it should be awhile.

I only mentioned this topic because I'd not heard of Marshal and my puncture repairer reckoned they were a good buy. On my last Octy I had 4 Falken 452s fitted at about 25000 miles, and I was very happy with them. Cost a little under £70 each if I remember correctly.