DSG lurch

Has anyone with a DSG ever had the car lurch forward with a loud clunk when starting the car in park? It almost feels like the car is in gear and the clunk is quite loud. Noticed it mostly in very cold whether. Have started putting the car into neutral to start instead of park. Should I have always been doing this? Was taught to drive in a manual where you obviously start the car in neutral but I thought starting in park was ok ?

Edited by timjfw

It shouldn't lurch in Park. It's odd that it's ok In N though, as P is essentially neutral with a mechanical lock to the output.

Edited by cjb

My DSG is new (3 weeks old) and about 700 miles. Certainly no symptoms like that. No clunks, no lurches, utterly smooth at all times - including stop/start traffic. I always start it in Park position.

I may be wrong, but haven't I read in our german forum that there is some software update available curing this? Mind you , I don't have DSG so I didn't read this too carefully.....but I am pretty certain it was to to with jumping and clunking during acceleration.....

I found that if you park up and put in in park and then dont apply the handbrake it rests on the gears, then when you take it out of park into drive you get a clunk. Park and then Handbrake to take the strain helped me.

Apparently there are some 35,000 DSG gearboxes across the VAG group with problems,on Skoda's this effect the Octavia II and Superb II.Your main dealer should know about this.Normally the symptoms of gearbox problems are that you're driving along and the gearbox engages into neautral on it's own.Part of th gearbox called the mechatronic unit needs to be replaced,see one today,quite a big expensive lump full of valves and solenoids,if you are having problems go to your dealer to have it rectified as there is quite a demand for this part and you could be in on the waiting list.

Rough shifting and clunking from the box MIGHT be the mechatronics unit. VW DSG boxed cars in the USA have been subject to a recall over this. What year is your car? I think this only affects 2007-2009 cars.

Loss of drive is a very different issue. This is also subject to a recall in the US, and also to a limited number of Octavia II and Superbs II's in the UK (see VOSA site). This has nothing to do with the mechatronics box - its due to faulty temperature sensors.

Your dealer will be able to check if your car is subject to a recall for item (2) and hopefully to test for (1).

Edited by Minimoke