Octavia 2 VRS Ice Recommendations

:smirk: I have an 09 Octavia VRS with the Columbus system but i am left disappointed with the sound quality - i like to listen to my music fairly loud with a bit of bass - not too much but the sounds i had in my Cooper S before was miles better ie trying to get any volume at the present results in f.rting from the speakers

Could someone please advice what i should go for ie Amp,replacement speakers and sub? I dont want to lose to much space in the boot as i need as much space as possible - i have searched the threads and got a few ideas , complete novice on these sort of things so will most likely pay someone to do the work

Many thanks for any help :thumbup:

Edited by Jezbiker

:smirk: I have an 09 Octavia VRS with the Columbus system but i am left disappointed with the sound quality - i like to listen to my music fairly loud with a bit of bass - not too much but the sounds i had in my Cooper S before was miles better ie trying to get any volume at the present results in f.rting from the speakers

Could someone please advice what i should go for ie Amp,replacement speakers and sub? I dont want to lose to much space in the boot as i need as much space as possible - i have searched the threads and got a few ideas , complete novice on these sort of things so will most likely pay someone to do the work

Many thanks for any help :thumbup:

I fitted a line level converter to my headunit, installed a sub and turned the bass on the head unit down so the speakers focus on the midrange / treble, and am more than happy with the results, in fact it sounds epic with the right song!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont want to lose to much space in the boot as i need as much space as possible - i have searched the threads and got a few ideas , complete novice on these sort of things so will most likely pay someone to do the work

In case you hadn't come across mine you don't have to lose any boot space at all. I've put a 15" JBL in my spare wheel well and this works very well.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/108647-subwoofers-1-x-15inch-vs-2-x-12s/page__view__findpost__p__1640915

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to amp the speakers. I am more for filtering the bass out and fitting a small sub somewhere. I would like to use one of the rear storage spaces and a 10" sub, or even a small box/tube under a seat? Then just fit a bass/level adjuster in the car for the sub.

I find the standard system is over bright, the bass is ok but flaps with any sort of volume. The midrange is a bit thing as well though. I wouldn't say the sound quality is great, it can be engaging on a few tracks, but on the hole its fairly harsh tbh.

Any recommendations on a sub that would work in a small enclosure?

I've been thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to amp the speakers. I am more for filtering the bass out and fitting a small sub somewhere. I would like to use one of the rear storage spaces and a 10" sub, or even a small box/tube under a seat? Then just fit a bass/level adjuster in the car for the sub.

I find the standard system is over bright, the bass is ok but flaps with any sort of volume. The midrange is a bit thing as well though. I wouldn't say the sound quality is great, it can be engaging on a few tracks, but on the hole its fairly harsh tbh.

Any recommendations on a sub that would work in a small enclosure?

Always a bit of a science trying to get the best low frequency sound from a pint pot sized enclosure but if one man can help you its Arnot Francis (formerly of AF Electrics Longton) who is an authority on the subject and is always willing to impart relevant info to guide you on your path to audio nirvana! Can be found on the Audemex website.:0)

Just noticed this intrepid device!

www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=849&Itemid=88

Edited by swordstoke

Always a bit of a science trying to get the best low frequency sound from a pint pot sized enclosure but if one man can help you its Arnot Francis (formerly of AF Electrics Longton) who is an authority on the subject and is always willing to impart relevant info to guide you on your path to audio nirvana! Can be found on the Audemex website.:0)

Just noticed this intrepid device!

Haha, that looks fantastic and just the kind of thing I am after. I'll see how much they cost and who sells them. Looks like they might have not been relased yet though.

I fitted a line level converter to my headunit, installed a sub and turned the bass on the head unit down so the speakers focus on the midrange / treble, and am more than happy with the results, in fact it sounds epic with the right song!

Complete novice here, so whats a line level convertor? Did you add an amp to power the sub independently?

Edited by Pagey1255

Complete novice here, so whats a line level convertor? Did you add an amp to power the sub independently?

I don't really know a great deal. I believe the line level convertor allows you to control the volume of the sub? And that amp is active and has an inbuilt amp I believe.

I don't really know a great deal. I believe the line level convertor allows you to control the volume of the sub? And that amp is active and has an inbuilt amp I believe.

Essentially some head units(not sure of Bolero etc) dont have a Pre-out(connects to an external amp) so one way of attaching an separate amp is to use the existing speaker cables coming from your head unit and connect

one pair into the 'Line level' converter(built in to active sub etc) which lowers the voltage and allows you direct conection to an amp which in turn can be connected to other speakers/sub and ability to control its output from your head unit.

Usually you have a 'Gain control' (on ext amp)which increases/decreases sensitivity to the rest of system so you can achieve a good balance of volume between existing speakers and new additions.

Hmmmmm glad im able to simplify it LOL!

Have to admit it's been a while since i was in the world of incar hifi!

Essentially some head units(not sure of Bolero etc) dont have a Pre-out(connects to an external amp) so one way of attaching an separate amp is to use the existing speaker cables coming from your head unit and connect

one pair into the 'Line level' converter(built in to active sub etc) which lowers the voltage and allows you direct conection to an amp which in turn can be connected to other speakers/sub and ability to control its output from your head unit.

Usually you have a 'Gain control' (on ext amp)which increases/decreases sensitivity to the rest of system so you can achieve a good balance of volume between existing speakers and new additions.

Hmmmmm glad im able to simplify it LOL!

Have to admit it's been a while since i was in the world of incar hifi!

I kind of get it!! :S I know he to call on when I want to tinker! :thumbup:

And for those of us who prefer to carry a spare wheel in the spare wheel well? Any suggestions?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing, I have the Bolero in my car, and was wondering if just changing the speakers would get the sound to a half decent level or do I need to go the whole hog and get amps etc sorted?

Suggestions (preferably sensibly priced ones) welcome emoticon-0148-yes.gif

And for those of us who prefer to carry a spare wheel in the spare wheel well? Any suggestions?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing, I have the Bolero in my car, and was wondering if just changing the speakers would get the sound to a half decent level or do I need to go the whole hog and get amps etc sorted?

Suggestions (preferably sensibly priced ones) welcome emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The beauty of the Pioneer system is that it can fit inside your spare wheel and is easy to take out.

Getting my Octy today and if the system is as poor as folk say I will be upgrading it.

Ive got some old test cd's(frequency sweep, that sort of thing etc) to check system performance to see if its as obvious as poor speakers or from the Bolero itself. :)

The beauty of the Pioneer system is that it can fit inside your spare wheel and is easy to take out.

Getting my Octy today and if the system is as poor as folk say I will be upgrading it.

Ive got some old test cd's(frequency sweep, that sort of thing etc) to check system performance to see if its as obvious as poor speakers or from the Bolero itself. :)

My gut feeling is the Bolero is ok and it's the speakers that are not great and are placed stupidly. But I'm not an audiophile so can't be certain. I just know the standard ICE stuggles when playing AC/DC at high volume emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

The system seems to produce enough bass, but the sound is harsh and lacking midrange imo. It does distort fairly easily as well. I am tempted by the sub so I can drop all the bass out of the components and still get a nice balance to the overall sound. I'm not sure the Bolero is amazing, or if the the unit with the Satnav is any better?

The system seems to produce enough bass, but the sound is harsh and lacking midrange imo. It does distort fairly easily as well. I am tempted by the sub so I can drop all the bass out of the components and still get a nice balance to the overall sound. I'm not sure the Bolero is amazing, or if the the unit with the Satnav is any better?

I've asked in the past and general feeling is the sound quality is about the same on the two units. Having never heard a Columbus I couldn't tell you but as they are both made by Continental then I wouldn't be surprised if the sound circuitry is the same...

It's the midrange I struggle with too but I can't afford to do much on the car at the moment...

I've asked in the past and general feeling is the sound quality is about the same on the two units. Having never heard a Columbus I couldn't tell you but as they are both made by Continental then I wouldn't be surprised if the sound circuitry is the same...

It's the midrange I struggle with too but I can't afford to do much on the car at the moment...

Fair comment. I just find the sound lacking any involvement. I take it the components are 6"? I might have to invest in a set of rainbows and the sub and see if I can get a nice sound out of it.

Fair comment. I just find the sound lacking any involvement. I take it the components are 6"? I might have to invest in a set of rainbows and the sub and see if I can get a nice sound out of it.

Do you feel this applies to all sources on the unit?

Reason I ask is using the cd player produced some impresive sounds on the newly aquired VRS today(Bolero) and that was wound up to at least 80% on the vol control.

Ok it is subjective but I like a good clear well balanced sound like the next man and if it can rattle the windows every now and then even better!

Have often found it is down to poorly recorded music or low bit rate if youre using MP3 etc.

Admittedy its early days for me and the Touran I had before benefited from larger drive units and being bigger in volume made a good sound indeed.

Be interesting to see what the long term opinion will be! :yes:

Reason I ask is using the cd player produced some impresive sounds on the newly aquired VRS today(Bolero) and that was wound up to at least 80% on the vol control.

Ok it is subjective but I like a good clear well balanced sound like the next man and if it can rattle the windows every now and then even better!

Have often found it is down to poorly recorded music or low bit rate if youre using MP3 etc.

Admittedy its early days for me and the Touran I had before benefited from larger drive units and being bigger in volume made a good sound indeed.

Might have to see if the ex will let me have my CDs back then...

I've a feeling the mp3s I've got are mostly 192 for the bit rate so may be worth re-encoding at a higher rate at trying again

I agree the first time I heard the stereo I thought it sounded good. Then after a while of listening to it I started to find the flaws. It appears the system has been designed to trick the ear to me. It can and does produce a fair amount of bass and this can be mistaken for good quality sound imo. The tweeters are bleeting and make the overall sound very bright. I have tried, 320mbs mp3. FM stereo and CD and all sound very similar. I run my HU at Bass +5 (or 4 if its distorting) Mid 0 and Treble - 2. I wasn't happy with the lack of midrange, but when increased on the HU not alot changed, other than the quality of sound appearerd to deteriorate.

I'd like to run Bass 0/+1 Mid 0 and Treb 0 with nice components and a sub.

I agree the first time I heard the stereo I thought it sounded good. Then after a while of listening to it I started to find the flaws. It appears the system has been designed to trick the ear to me. It can and does produce a fair amount of bass and this can be mistaken for good quality sound imo. The tweeters are bleeting and make the overall sound very bright. I have tried, 320mbs mp3. FM stereo and CD and all sound very similar. I run my HU at Bass +5 (or 4 if its distorting) Mid 0 and Treble - 2. I wasn't happy with the lack of midrange, but when increased on the HU not alot changed, other than the quality of sound appearerd to deteriorate.

I'd like to run Bass 0/+1 Mid 0 and Treb 0 with nice components and a sub.

Listening to the Radio this morning at a low volume level does indeed reveal a massive hole in the mid range integration of tweeter&bass/mid drivers!

Turning it up does improve the situation but methinks you soon begin to realise they have put the Bass/mid driver in the wrong location!

Being Bass/mid it needs to be in as close proximity to the tweeter especially in a car(worst place for proper listening).

Might be a simple case of purchasing a quality Uni Q driver(tweeter mounted in centre of bass unit) and disconnecting the tweeter all together.

Going to do a bit more research into this ! ;)

Listening to the Radio this morning at a low volume level does indeed reveal a massive hole in the mid range integration of tweeter&bass/mid drivers!

Turning it up does improve the situation but methinks you soon begin to realise they have put the Bass/mid driver in the wrong location!

Being Bass/mid it needs to be in as close proximity to the tweeter especially in a car(worst place for proper listening).

Might be a simple case of purchasing a quality Uni Q driver(tweeter mounted in centre of bass unit) and disconnecting the tweeter all together.

Going to do a bit more research into this ! ;)

I'm glad we are on the same trail of thought. Let me know what your findings. Cheers.

The Octy II stereo uses as filter capacitor (too crude to call it a 'crossover') in series with the tweeter. The cap is c. 8uF. I simply popped out my tweeters and replaced these caps with 3.3uF. This means that more of the midrange now ends up with the main door speakers and stops the tweeters struggling to reproduce frequencies they were not designed to handle. This mod takes less than an hour (to do all 4 doors) and costs pennies. The result is noticably improved sound.

• Like 1