MDI Retro Fit

drbig

Yes, sorry http://lyxus.net/hdgu 36418 my error :( (Senior moment!)

You'll also need this part + an ipod/usb/3.5jack lead depending on your music source.

HTH :thumbup:

Thanks! Ah. So THAT is the expensive bit. This one is for an armrest? How does that work? And where does this bit sit in a European Yeti? Behind the storage area in front of the gear lever?

Thanks! Ah. So THAT is the expensive bit. This one is for an armrest? How does that work? And where does this bit sit in a European Yeti? Behind the storage area in front of the gear lever?

That part contains the MDI unit that is mounted in an arm rest adaptor for a VW it wont fit a Yeti

But you can remove the MDI from the arm rest adaptor to use

Edited by drbig

also the Ebay link is showing the part number as 5N0035341C of the MDI

Part number listed in ETKA is 5N0 035 342B

to correct this

5N0 035 342 B - MDI - to 30.05.2010

5N0 035 342 C - MDI - From 31.05.2010

Also listed is

5L0 971 199 - Adapter wiring set - This attaches to the MDI

So the part number on ebay should work if you have a later build

Edited by drbig

It is the 'C' version - designed for armrest - that was the one I could get the best price on!

Plan is to locate it behind the dash with flylead terminating in glovebox so everything is out of sight - that's how I did it on my last Golf. Once the ipod's in place there's no need to handle it until you remove it from the car.

Sorry if I've confused you - but it was never my intention for it to connect either in the dashtop box or the cubby hole by the gearlever - I like things away from prying eyes ;)

It is the 'C' version - designed for armrest - that was the one I could get the best price on!

Plan is to locate it behind the dash with flylead terminating in glovebox so everything is out of sight - that's how I did it on my last Golf. Once the ipod's in place there's no need to handle it until you remove it from the car.

Sorry if I've confused you - but it was never my intention for it to connect either in the dashtop box or the cubby hole by the gearlever - I like things away from prying eyes ;)

Ok understand. So this expensive bit can sit anywhere then and comes in different shapes but does the same job. I want to use my iPhone for this so would want it in the lower storage as per the standard factory fit. At some point I'll tackle this task. Yeti getting built next week so not long before I can start with these plans. But until I get around to this MDI I'll just have to make do with an old iPod to the 3,5 jack in the armrest, or my iPhone via Bluetooth.

I guess by the using the MDI, I could use my TomTom app on the iphone and it would play through the speakers and the traffic announcements via the radio would still come through over the top of the MDI, like it does when using CD/HDD etc.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Mike

or your iphone via 3.5mm jack.....

Mike

Indeed! Or an SD card, or MP3 files on a CD, so many options. But I have an old surplus iPod so this can just live in the car to be honest in the same way I think Merlinman is going to set his up. Mine will just need charging from time to time and won't be controlled via the radio. All in due course.

Ok understand. So this expensive bit can sit anywhere then and comes in different shapes but does the same job. I want to use my iPhone for this so would want it in the lower storage as per the standard factory fit. At some point I'll tackle this task. Yeti getting built next week so not long before I can start with these plans. But until I get around to this MDI I'll just have to make do with an old iPod to the 3,5 jack in the armrest, or my iPhone via Bluetooth.

You should be able to mount the unit easily where you like as there is plenty of room in and around the console area

You should be able to mount the unit easily where you like as there is plenty of room in and around the console area

So drbig: am I correct in saying that this picture shows the MDI unit covered in bubble wrap just dangling somewhere behind the radio and under the top tray?

4738320163_394cdd606a_b.jpg

Has it rattled? Is it fine left like that? Won't it overheat?

So drbig: am I correct in saying that this picture shows the MDI unit covered in bubble wrap just dangling somewhere behind the radio and under the top tray?

4738320163_394cdd606a_b.jpg

Has it rattled? Is it fine left like that? Won't it overheat?

I would not leave it like that it's ok for testing

Funny though it did not rattle or give any problems

I would not leave it like that it's ok for testing

Funny though it did not rattle or give any problems

Ok. So it is now just hanging back there sans the bubble wrap and all is fine? I wonder where the official Skoda one goes? Or does that also just dangle? The MDI unit does not seem to have anything on it to fix it to the car.

Ok. So it is now just hanging back there sans the bubble wrap and all is fine? I wonder where the official Skoda one goes? Or does that also just dangle? The MDI unit does not seem to have anything on it to fix it to the car.

No mine is strapped to the bottom of the top tray

There is a sort of fin on the unit from what I can tell the mounting point is some place behind the heater control.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I was picking up my Snow Yeti from the vets today having had a new shock absorber fitted I enquired about the MDI interface and they said the original part 5N0035342B has been superceeded by the 5N0035342C and they are priced at £155.14+VAT at the moment. not looked yet to see how it compares to anywhere else but its a start.

• 1 year later...

Hi, great post very helpful. Only had my Yeti one week and been looking at the Gateway 100 but reading all your posts it's looks like the wrong way to go. Only have one question will the MDI conversion work on my Swing radio?

Once again thanks for all your posts.

In case anyone doesn't want to go through all this - there's free "mp3 playlist creator" itunes scripts available online. I use one of these and just batch export all my playlists to folders on a big SD card. Never had any problems. Sure it's not the same but it's a lot less hassle. :)

In case anyone doesn't want to go through all this - there's free "mp3 playlist creator" itunes scripts available online. I use one of these and just batch export all my playlists to folders on a big SD card. Never had any problems. Sure it's not the same but it's a lot less hassle. :)

Thanks for this suggestion. Now I have a query if you can help please - I have found a Playlist Creator Script online (Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes), downloaded it and it now shows in the 'Scripts' drop down in iTunes.

Now I know nothing about scripts nor do I understand exactly how they operate. How do I now create a playlist to put on a SD card for use in the car. I am not quite sure of the correct procedure so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Peter

Hi, Peter,

I'm in the same boat as you [almost] was it straight forward to download that playlist creator ? Let's hope someone will help us with the rest of it, I thought the facillity of the SD card on the BOLERO was a great feature but I knew I would need help in being able to use it! :doh:

Ok - download this script here via the "external mirror" link:

http://mac.softpedia...load-66061.html

Create a playlist for exporting.

Select said playlist.

Start the script.

Choose a folder (or create a new one) in the pop-up menu to export to. You can do this straight onto the SD card also.

Wait for it to finish.

Done. :)

P.S. It asks you to delete all mp3 files from that folder. It means the destination folder as it will overwrite old playlists. Click yes. Because of this, it is best to create a folder for every playlist on your SD card. Easy peasy - enjoy the music. I have a 16GB SD card and it works perfectly.

Edited by carnivorous
  • Like 1

Ok - download this script here via the "external mirror" link:

http://mac.softpedia...load-66061.html

Create a playlist for exporting.

Select said playlist.

Start the script.

Choose a folder (or create a new one) in the pop-up menu to export to. You can do this straight onto the SD card also.

Wait for it to finish.

Done. :)

P.S. It asks you to delete all mp3 files from that folder. It means the destination folder as it will overwrite old playlists. Click yes. Because of this, it is best to create a folder for every playlist on your SD card. Easy peasy - enjoy the music. I have a 16GB SD card and it works perfectly.

Just done a quick trial. Works brilliantly - thank you very much for this information.

Great track to test the L - R balance capabilities of the Amundsen is 'The year of The Cat' by Al Stewart and it has reproduced it perfectly. Now all I need to do is select enough tracks to load onto my SD card.

Thanks once again.

Peter

EEERRR. Thanks Carnivorous, erm, i'm on windows, these downloads are for applemacs? is there any hope?

My Skoda dealer in Larnaca as quoted me 440 euros for the the MDI and you think you get ripped off in Great Britain. I can only find part number 5NO 035342B on the net not the updated part 5NO 035342C Any ideas where I can find one.