Picking Up New Vrs On Friday Advice Needed Please.

leon

Just about to join the ranks of the secret underground VRS army. Picking up a new Vrs on friday and wondered if you could all answer me some simple questions.

Firstly I read from some of the forums that the stereo is a bit poor and I was wondering if this fault lies in the head unit or the speakers or even worse both??

If it's the headunit is there a way I can keep the autochanger and upgrade the headunit?

secondly does anyone know how much it'll cost me to get a centre arm rest installed? As mine hasn't got one.

Can't wait to get it and your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on joining the most exclusive club in motoring, its called tons of fun without an empty wallet.

Cant help with the questions as I drive a 4x4 (more exclusive IMO) just thought I'd say welcome although with the centre arm rest if it comes in expensive try a breaker, there cant be a lot of demand for them & you may get it cheap. personaly I find it a pain as it gets in the way when changing gear in a sporty manner & mine tends to spend all its time in the raised position. Is it available for the RS?

Stuart

Hi and welcome!

generally speaking the HU is fine the speakers are crap; check out the ICE forum for compatibility. I've changed my HU as I wanted MP3 capability and the flashy blue and red display.:D

As for arm rest if you want a leather one it'll cost around

I've recently spoken to the dealer re: the armrest. He's meant to be getting back to me with a price / availability although I'm sure it won't be cheap. He did have some doubt whether Skoda actually do an armrest that's in a reasonable colour to complement the vRS interior - Black must be a popular choice:)

I did have a thought about nicking the armrest out of my wife's A4 but it's grey and will look cack. It might be worth seeing if Audi / VW do one that would fit. looks a universal fit.

I haven't done a poll but from members' comments about the armrest it seems that those that have one don't particularly want it, and those that haven't do. I find mine useful for storage - eg phone charger and car park change - but it gets in the way of gear changing when down so I rarely use it in that position. I wouldn't remotely consider spending

ok, so I'm the only one that uses it??

Love it, even when driving hard, angled slightly down it provides great support, leaving only my wrist \ hand to move unsupported on the shift.

Plus of course it's great for phones, especially as it's above the 12v socket.

Welcome to Briskoda!

Confession time. I changed the speakers for Infinity at the front and Sony at the back. I raved about the huge improvement in sound at the time but I drove my wifes new Polo over the weekend and the standard stereo made mine sound pants. I think I must have got used to how mine sounded so my advice is change the lot. Lets face it, you've only spent

leon

Welcome to Briskoda. The armrest-you should be able to order it from your Skoda dealer as it is an official option on the RS in every country apart from the UK (just like side airbags and xenon lights). I had one on my last Octavia (pre facelift 1.8T Slxi) and I never used it. Personally I'd save the cash and use it for your speaker upgrades!

Armrest - use it on long, boring motorway runs. Move it up in town, as it does get in the way when shifting.

Ian: so how do you shift? For me, the Octavia's gearshift is too long for my lower arm to stay immobile on the armrest, with just the hand flicking it in gear. I keep rubbing the arm on the armrest until I'm well and truly irritated!

Congratulations on buying your RS. If I was you I wouldn't bother trying to purchase an arm rest for your Skoda as they are a complete and utter waste of time. I have one and never use it, if the rest is down you haven't got enough width to drive properly.

With regards to your stereo, why don't you run the car and get used to the sound before you think of upgrading.

Regards

Martin (elegance tdi driver from Blackpool)

:bttt:

Centre armrest is standard over here as is blaupunkt head unit in place of skoda unit. i agree with nearly everyone, speakers aren't great. Don't all the big names in speakers do uprated direct replacements for standard speakers??????

Originally posted by day tripper in this post

i think ill be picking my vrs next week, can someone please advise what happens on the day of collection as ive never bought a new car before.

It should all be pretty painless - the dealer should have taxed the car already (assuming you got him your insurance in time), any balance due needs to be paid (if he's got any sense the dealer will have a 'cleared funds' only policy) and you sign the finance docs - you will also need to provide proof of address and signature to keep the finance company happy - usually a driving licence will suffice.

The dealer should then offer to spend as much time as you want going throught the handbook pack, warranty details and the car itself - I've known customers spend hours going through all this, others just want to grab their keys and go and play - it's up to you, you're paying!

Make sure you check the car over for damage because the last thing the dealer will ask you to do is sign a form confirming you are happy with everything - coming back in a week's time to complain about a stone chip that you are sure was there when you picked it up will probably not work!

Have fun!

By the sounds of it, nearly everyone who has an armrest doesn't like it - so why don't you sell one to leon? :D

When I picked my car up the "junior" salesman (there were only 2 at the dealer when I got the fab 18 or so months ago), went through a fairly thorough tour of what everything did. Explained how to do things like lock and unlock the doors (with and w/o deadlocking), how to remove the aerial when going through a carwash, showed me what was in the manual, etc.

In fairness, although it was obviously his standard handover, it covered the basics, and all the tiny little things that you'd never remember to ask :D

Car was taxed, but i don't remember showing any insurance - as the dealer went and got it (or something...!) before I handed over the bankers draft, it was down to him to organise it?

All in all, everything went fine - although it was a bit like a trip to see the doctor... despite them explaining everything, i still forgot most of it :D Apart from the running in period - was torture having to poodle around!

Lastly - as others have already said - welcome to Briskoda and enjoy the ride :D

(Although fabias are clearly better than any vRS, yellow or not... :evil: )

Oh - if possible, check that the dealer registered the car probably - quite a few of us have had the logbook turn up with the wrong engine type or size on it... mine was a 75bhp automatic to start with...

Originally posted by Stimps in this post

Car was taxed, but i don't remember showing any insurance - as the dealer went and got it (or something...!) before I handed over the bankers draft, it was down to him to organise it?

If the garage owns the car and have some kind of insurance on

it they'll be able to tax it. If the garage doesn't own it (ie. it

just sits on their forecourt without their name on the V5) then

they'll need your insurance documents to get tax on it.

Or, it might've still had tax left over from the previous owner

depending how long it's been sitting around... :D

Rob.

Armrest - my gf has one in her Golf - forget it, really is no use except when sitting in fifth on the M'way.

Window closers - already fitted as standard so I don't understand this one - all you have to do is lock the car with the key instead of the remote and hold it in the "lock" position for a couple of seconds.

Head unit / speakers - I agree that they're not the best - but in the ICE forums there are tips to improve the sound by removing some of the polyethylene inside the doors - gonna try that !

Yellow is really nice BUT I went for black cos the dead flies make a real mess of the yellow in the summer. Although admittedly the black gets pretty filthy. My gf had a yellow S40 and other than the dead flies it's actually pretty easy to keep clean.

Finally, go to Halfords and spend

Leon / day tripper - Stimps' comment re: the logbook is a good one - an awful lot of RS owners on here were driving around on TDi Ambientes according to the DVLA documentation! Not sure if Skoda have fixed this with the DVLA yet but to save yourself hassle make sure you check and, if wrong, get them to write the letter to DVLA then & there. Have fun and remember the RS wave :wave: (sorry Dennis couldn't resist :p )

Originally posted by robmawer in this post

If the garage owns the car and have some kind of insurance on

it they'll be able to tax it. If the garage doesn't own it (ie. it

just sits on their forecourt without their name on the V5) then

they'll need your insurance documents to get tax on it.

Or, it might've still had tax left over from the previous owner

depending how long it's been sitting around... :D

Rob.

This may have changed recently, but it always used to be the case that if the garage registered it, they were then shown as a previous keeper, so your brand new car would be shown as having two owners when you came to sell it. Most people prefer to keep the number of keepers to a minimum and so are happy to supply their own insurance docs to the garage and have it registered/taxed in their own name.