What oil ?

My 07 L&K oil light has just come on which I find strange as it's no where near due a service. Is this normal, if so what's the best oil to use?

Mine is a diesel 1.9 tdi

Paul

Edited by The Hat

Having looked at the manual it may well be oil level as the manual states if it was the pressure then the macidot would tell me it's the pressure. Just checked the level and it is a little low. Now I need to find if mine is on fixed servicing or not. How do I tell ?

Orange = Level

Red = Pressure

Basically, if you're unsure then for a TDI you can use VW507.00 oil and it will be ok.

This is the easiest to get hold of and certain to be right.

If you have a DPF you must use VW507 oil.

If you don't have a DPF you can use VW507.0, VW506.1 for variable or these and I think also ( but do check with a dealer first) VW505.1 for fixed.

HTH

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Cheers for the advice Cheezemonkhai.

Ive no idea what a DPF is or if my car has one. How do i find if my car is on fixed servicing or variable. The dealer i bought it from stated that it was every 2 years or when the mdf told me.

Thanks

Paul

Orange = Level

Red = Pressure

Basically, if you're unsure then for a TDI you can use VW507.00 oil and it will be ok.

This is the easiest to get hold of and certain to be right.

If you have a DPF you must use VW507 oil.

If you don't have a DPF you can use VW507.0, VW506.1 for variable or these and I think also ( but do check with a dealer first) VW505.1 for fixed.

HTH

1.9 TDi does not have a DPF, so the use of 507 oil is not necessary.

Oil level should be checked regularly, the VAG PD engines are well known for using oil between services.

Fixed/Variable, look at the service history, if its been serviced every 10k then its fixed, otherwise its variable. All Octys are supplied from the factory on variable, but can be changed at anytime during the cars life between fixed and variable.

errrmmm...yes it would be if he was on variable, which from what I read, he is.

Come on guys, lets get the facts straight before giving out advice, please.

Oil level should be checked regularly, the VAG PD engines are well known for using oil between services.

Fixed/Variable, look at the service history, if its been serviced every 10k then its fixed, otherwise its variable. All Octys are supplied from the factory on variable, but can be changed at anytime during the cars life between fixed and variable.

errrmmm...yes it would be if he was on variable, which from what I read, he is.

Come on guys, lets get the facts straight before giving out advice, please.

The 507.00 is the "all diesel standards" suitable oil, which can be used by most TDI engined cars (except a few powerful ones) for all service types.

The 507.00 is cheaper than the VW506.1 oil and won't damage a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

As per Mannyo's comments, I'd be very surprised if you had a DPF on a 1.9, but was just being cautious with my advice.

From the 2 years/whenever you car tells you, it sounds like you're on variable interval servicing, so in that case I'd get a bottle of VW507 oil and top up with that.

Easy to get hold of options I know of for that are:

- Quantum Longlife III (Dealers)

- Mobil1 ESP (5w-30 VW507 marked bottles)

- Castrol Edge (5w-30 VW507 marked version)

- Millers longlife oil (5w-30 VW507 marked)

- Halfords own VW507 marked oil

Obviously there are others out there, just make sure they say they are VW507 approved.

When it comes to your next service you can discuss with your dealer your mileage and driving type/style and decide which service type suits your needs best.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I'm suprised that any one can still get hold of VW 506.01 oil as this has been superseded by vw 507 spec. Why recommend an oil that is not widely available and if it is available, costs more than a higher spec oil ?

However, putting 507 in an old tractor like an SDi would hardly be worth it and also possibly way too thin.

Once again, thanks for the advice guys. I got some Mobil 1 ESP from Halfords 5w 30. It's the type the dealer recommended and you have obvioulsy aswell.

£17 for 1 litre is a bit on the steep side though.

Paul

I'm suprised that any one can still get hold of VW 506.01 oil as this has been superseded by vw 507 spec. Why recommend an oil that is not widely available and if it is available, costs more than a higher spec oil ?

However, putting 507 in an old tractor like an SDi would hardly be worth it and also possibly way too thin.

VW506.1 is required for some engines still (V10 TDI is one I seem to remember).

I think this is because it's a 0w not a 5w oil, so thinner when cold.

You can still get it from some dealers as a quantum oil, but I have to admit it's pretty hard to find it elsewhere.

FWIW if asda have that offer on still, then it's well worth picking a bottle up, as that's a very good price.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

It's not unusual for the 1.9TDI to use oil and need topping up between services - I had to top mine up twice before it's first service at 2 years. Used half a litre each time.