DSG failures

Y4YETI

I was torn between trading my Yeti in for a Superb with DSG and no 4WD or a nearly new Freelander HSE Auto.

Here is a copy of our letter to Skoda Czech Republic concerning the lighting issue and letting them know our reasons for changing our brand loyalty.

Dear Pavel Volf,

Thank you for this update.

Unfortunately Crawley Down Garage from whom we purchased our Yeti have not replied to a letter and they were aware we were were not receiving emails that they said they had sent us.

We have not received printed copies of the emails, said to be sent, or the requested information about the properties of the lost emails so we can check with our ISP what has gone wrong.

We would thank Paul Cox of Birchwood Skoda Limited, Worthing for trying to recover our long standing loyalty as Skoda customers but unfortunately he was unable to supply a suitable replacement vehicle i.e a 4WD Automatic TD Superb or Yeti or a goodwill contribution from Skoda for accepting the alternatives he had to offer.

A non-Skoda dealer has recognised our potential brand loyalty and offered us £1000 more in part exchange value than Paul was able to put forward for a new Skoda Superb without 4WD.

We researched the dealer comments concerning DSG for the Superb and found there seemed to be the same complacency about sensor problems here as we found with with sensor warnings for the malfunction of the Xenon headlights on our new Yeti.

The following article and other postings on the internet have led us to decide to opt out of a Skoda with DSG

http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/08/31/news/recalls-tsbs/vw-dsg-reader-stories-round-3-flash-of-death-woes-lead-to-brand-new-recall/

We have today ordered a nearly new Land Rover Freelander HSE Auto and hope that this provides us with the comfort, quietnesss , smoothness of ride and ease of use of our previous automatic Superb. It will of course have the 4WD ability for those days when added traction is needed and off road performance when needed.

Yours sincerely

Finally thanks to all on the Yeti forum who have provided useful comment and advice on our sometimes contentious threads and we have been on a steep learning curve here.

Wishing all Yeti owners here every happiness with their choice of vehicle.

Blame our unhappiness on the superb quality of the Superb that the Yeti replaced :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the frying pan into the fire :)

Well at least they have had since 2007 to sort that one out!!

Why so much grief for Toyota when life threatening issues are dealt with so complacently by other manufacturers too?

I did look up recall information for Freelander and your link (unlike the DSG VW one) has no mention of recall.

Edited by Y4YETI

... and wishing all Freelander 2 forums every happiness with their new member. By the way, have you seen this?

http://www.whatcustomercare.co.uk/?p=3

Of course he's seen it - he wrote it !

But seriously, I had a Freelander 2.2 diesel auto on hire in Ireland (choice of that or an Octavia). Within 2 hours it had drunk all its cooling fluid. Put me off their cars.

OMG - you are buying a Freelander as you are worried about skoda quality and reliability?! :giggle: Surely not. :no:

I know of three people that have owned Freelanders - all have had 'issues'. One of them had two as Land Rover finally agreed rejection of the first one after the engine needed total replacement at 16,000 miles; iirc if was a fuel pump failure or similar. The newer one proved no more reliable and had all the niggles the first had. Did the engine let go at 16,000 like the first one? Not sure as she sold it after 11,000 miles due to reliability issues and lack of dealer support!!

Good luck. :thumbup:

I'm sorry, I did say I was finished with this forum after being "bullied out" by the mod mob but this is just too good not have a second go. Let's get this straight... you've traded in your Yeti because:

1.) You found out after the purchase, you couldn't fit snow chains to your model.

2.) There's a niggly lighting issue when in "Auto" mode that, in all probability, will require a 5 minute software upgrade fix if it hasn't been fixed already.

3.) There have been recalls on a batch of DSG gearboxes, one of which is NOT fitted to your manual gearboxed Yeti which you chose to have in the first place.

Great!!!!!

Good luck with the Freelander... I reckon you'll need it.

Have to 'stick up' for the Freelander. Owned one for 2 years and found it to be excellent. Ok it went wrong once, power steering pump, the dealer dealt with it with fantastic efficiency and customer service even going out of his way to arrange a temporary Land Rover for me and dropping the fixed vehicle back to my home while I was on holiday.

They are excellent vehicles.

Sure there are bad ones I guess but not ours and you can only go from personal experience.

I did look up recall information for Freelander and your link (unlike the DSG VW one) has no mention of recall.

Try here... :peek:

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/land_rover/landrover_freelander.htm

My younger sister had a Freelande,r the same time we had our Honda CRV, and it was in and out the garage back at the dealers more often than it was at her house :o . She couldn't wait to get rid of it!!

Goodbye :hi: & Good Luck!

p.s.

I note that the VW dsg recall info thread you have been looking at was on a website described as...

" News for the certified car nut" :angel:

p.p.s.

Dave- don't go away again- stay and play with us Yeti Lovers :yes:

EDIT ADDITION:

These recalls look even more serious :o

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=AC&modelName=Freelander+2&makeName=Land+Rover&makeId=C3

Edited by Lady Penelope

Have to 'stick up' for the Freelander. Owned one for 2 years and found it to be excellent. Ok it went wrong once, power steering pump, the dealer dealt with it with fantastic efficiency and customer service even going out of his way to arrange a temporary Land Rover for me and dropping the fixed vehicle back to my home while I was on holiday.

They are excellent vehicles.

Sure there are bad ones I guess but not ours and you can only go from personal experience.

I'm not saying the Freelanders are rubbish here. I love Land Rovers (had a Defender 90 for 3 years and considered a Freelander against the Yeti ) I'm more implying that any car can have problems and you have to be a little lucky to own one that is completely devoid of any faults throughout its lifetime.

PS. Thanks for your kind words Lady P. I just might!!! emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Edited by davecarter

i agree with dave here getting rid of a car cos of a simple auto lighting fix'..and some dsg gearbox fault that doesnt affect you seems harsh' in my 26 years of driving i can tell u loads of horror stories concerning BIG FAULTS on certain cars ive owned( all full dealer serviced may i add).....non were on skoda's and ive had a few mainly the older ones as well( estelle,rapid, felicia)....ive had lots of issues with fords!!....anyways goodluck with the f'lander

[Exit with tears in eyes singing] "Tata, tata I wish you all a last tata"

Reckon we will be able to make it to the local take away curry whatever the weather and whatever the location?

As a Yeti DSG owner, the thread title "DSG Failures" obviously worries me. Y4YETI, have you experiences a DSG failure in a Yeti, and if so, what symptoms should I look out for on my Yeti DSG?

My understanding is that the DSG7 gearbox fitted to the Yeti is different to the DSG6 gearboxes that are the subject of the VW/Audi recalls in the US. Different clutches as well I think. Is that correct?

Seat France have just issued a recall for DSG equipped cars made between 09 2008 and 07 2009, temperature sensor giving false reading, causes the box to go into 'protection mode'. 142 cars involved.

Checking the VOSA recalls database, this appears to affect only the DSG6 gearbox, so those fitted with wet clutches. Can anyone clarify if the same fault affects the Yeti's DSG7 gearbox with dry clutches?

Vehicle Details

Reference : R/2009/124

Manufacturer Ref : 37F2

Make: SKODA

Model : Octavia II & Superb II (with 6 speed DSG)

Launch Date : 14/12/2009

Numbers Involved : 494

Build Start Date : 01/09/2008

Build End Date : 31/08/2009

Recall Details

Concern : CLUTCH MAY OPERATE INADVERTENTLY WITH UNEXPECTED LOSS OF DRIVE

Description : In rare cases an incorrect interpretation of the clutch temperature can occur which results in the clutch opening unexpectedly with loss of drive.

Remedial Action : Recall affected vehicles and update/reprogramme gearbox control unit.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=B86ED30248824F0E8025765C0031A74F&freeText=Blank&tx=VOSA

Edited by tarbat

As a Yeti DSG owner, the thread title "DSG Failures" obviously worries me. Y4YETI, have you experiences a DSG failure in a Yeti, and if so, what symptoms should I look out for on my Yeti DSG?

My understanding is that the DSG7 gearbox fitted to the Yeti is different to the DSG6 gearboxes that are the subject of the VW/Audi recalls in the US. Different clutches as well I think. Is that correct?

It is possible that the problem has now been resolved but what seems at issue here is failure to take prompt action to properly inform and advise owners and rectify a potentially serious defect.

The lighting l fault was not just a minor intermittent and false warning light malfunction. There was a possiblity of losing normal main and dipped beam and it was only through local knowledge I was able to avoid a serious incident when I only illumination to three to four car lengths ahead.

I did not have DSG on the Yeti but the auto transmission on my older Superb was perfect. The failure to address the DSG problems as set out in the link seemed to follow the failure to deal with known potentially dangerous lighting faults promptly.

As you say it is important to sort out exactly what models were and could still be affected

It is possible that the problem has now been resolved but what seems at issue here is failure to take prompt action to properly inform and advise owners and rectify a potentially serious defect.

Looks like Skoda UK have taken prompt action through the VOSA recalls process to recall all the DSG cars affected. What more are you suggesting they should have done?

I did not have DSG on the Yeti

So why on earth is this thread posted in the Yeti section, with a thread title "DSG Failures". Looks like scaremongering to me - have there been any DSG failures on the Yeti?

Edited by tarbat

Seat France have just issued a recall for DSG equipped cars made between 09 2008 and 07 2009, temperature sensor giving false reading, causes the box to go into 'protection mode'. 142 cars involved.

My original link was dated August 2009 and it is now April 2010

http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/08/31/news/recalls-tsbs/vw-dsg-reader-stories-round-3-flash-of-death-woes-lead-to-brand-new-recall/

It refers to this as a known issue in 2007!

Tarbat...relax and chill and enjoy your DSG without any worries B)

It's just Y4YETI wanting to go out with a big bang :giggle::party: (I was hoping for some fireworks at his forum leaving party :angel:

I'm sorry, I did say I was finished with this forum after being "bullied out" by the mod mob but this is just too good not have a second go. Let's get this straight... you've traded in your Yeti because:

1.) You found out after the purchase, you couldn't fit snow chains to your model.

2.) There's a niggly lighting issue when in "Auto" mode that, in all probability, will require a 5 minute software upgrade fix if it hasn't been fixed already.

3.) There have been recalls on a batch of DSG gearboxes, one of which is NOT fitted to your manual gearboxed Yeti which you chose to have in the first place.

Great!!!!!

Good luck with the Freelander... I reckon you'll need it.

Every point well made!! I drove this last winter on the so called "summer" tyres, the Goodyear Excellence. With care and the Off-Road button it was a total non happening. I may go for a set of winter tyres before the end of the year. (Still waiting for "GlobalWarming" to happen)

No Niggles with Halogen!!! LOL

DSG? I would have nothing to waggle with an Auto!! All automatics have given trouble in the past BUT these problems are normally solved with time.

Why do "British" companies have so many problems making cars? (Example British Leyland) I have issues with Nissan Customer Care (a contradiction in terms) BUT I have had two Terranos and one X-Trail and the second two cars went to 90000 miles without a jot of trouble.

<snip>

So why on earth is this thread posted in the Yeti section, with a thread title "DSG Failures". Looks like scaremongering to me - have there been any DSG failures on the Yeti?

This seems to be a long standing problem running across numerous brands within the same group and also different models.

As a long standing a loyal Skoda customer it seems reasonable to set out reasons for both selling the Yeti and not purchasing a replacement Skoda.

My impression is that over the years I have been fortunate to enjoy most aspects of Volkswagen quality and much reduced prices but now this could be changing. There is a thread about the concerns of VW about Skoda's market targets affecting sales of their higher priced vehicles thus affecting overall group turnover.

Okay thanks Lady Penelope. I don't follow all the posts here, so didn't know that Y4YETI was leaving. Just don't like someone implying that the YETI has DSG Failures, when I've not seen any reports of such failures from Yeti DSG owners. In my experience so far, the DSG7 gearbox in the Yeti is brilliant. Just hope it lasts longer than the automatic in my son's BMW MINI, that destroyed itself twice in less than 3 years - now that was a badly engineered gearbox.

Edited by tarbat

Bye Bye Y4Yeti, and I hope you enjoy your FL2. It is a good vehicle whatever people say, and most of the recall notices and faults mentioned here were actually about the FL1, in which over 2 vehicles I have done in excess of 100k miles and had NO problems other than age related niggles.

Unfotunately the interweb has resulted in it being very easy for the disgruntaled owner to get his views known. If you look at nearly every car based forum you can think of the majority of posts will be from people with PROBLEMS and rarely will the happy customer bother to post. This then gives a very unbalanced view, but of course people don't take that into account!!

Good luck in the future.

I wouldn't touch a Freelander with a barge pole!

I know plenty who are attracted by owning a 'proper' Landrover and then go on to regret it.

A lighting problem that affected the first Elegance models to be imported that has since been resolved and an apparent problem with DSGs that has not been recognised to affect the Yeti at all, will pale into insignificance against the experiences I have heard about with LR vehicles.

How about total electrical failure on a 6 month old Discovery 2 at 70 mph, in the outside lane of three on the A12, at night and in heavy traffic. Luckily the work colleague who was driving is a very experienced Police driver and admits that he felt very fortunate to only need to visit the launderette on the way home.

Best of luck - you may need it!

And has anyone just watched Watchdog and the problem with Vauxhall Astra's (& Zafira's) with horns that don't work when the lights are on?

Trevor, I can probably find you similar stories about Mercs, BMW's, Subaru's, etc. NO car has ever been built that is perfect, even Rollers, but as I said you only ever here about the FEW problems and not the THOUSANDS of owners who never have a problem.