How To Replace A Coolant Sensor

hendy6661988

These are pretty straightforward to change, but must be done on a stone cold engine! (i did my first one approx 4 hours after the car had been driven and the coolant was still ##kin hot!)

Tools needed:

Medium sized phillips/pozi drive screwdriver,

Small flat blade screwdriver

Pliers (possibly)

A 10 year old child or SWMBO who has small hands and forearms! (or be prepeared for some loss of skin on you arms or arms!)

Parts needed:

1x S059919501A temperature sender (sensor)

1x N90316802 O ring

SG012A8GM1 G12 coolant (you will loose some coolant when you remover the sensor, how much will depend on how quick you are!)

Possibly also a replacement horseshoe clip (i didn't buy one) if you snap the old one getting it out - more likely in the winter when the plastic clip will be brittle.

Skin graft, plasters, bandages!

Im not going to do a full walk through as there are numerous available on the internet already (search for 'coolant sensor replacement' for any of the VAG marques)

But on a MKI (1.9 TDi 130 PD) Superb / Passat they are located here:

oh5w9j.jpg20961rr.jpg

You can see the (new green) sensor circled above, the old sensor will be black if it hasn't been changed before)

Remove the two caps marked 1 and remove the two phillips screws underneath, then pull the whole cover upwards. Then you 'just' :rofl: need to slip your arm down the side of the engine (from the front), unplug the wire, remove the 'horeshoe' retaining clip (pulls down), remove the old sensor - note the O ring will probably not come out with the sensor so poke your finger in the hole :o and remove the old one, then push the new sensor (with a new O ring already fitted onto the sensor) into the hole, refit the clip and push the plug back on ......... simples!! :giggle:

Now what you will struggle to find info on is how to remove the wiring plug from the sensor, this is a piece of cake when you know how, but a bas###d when you don't!

What was that?

Oh you want to know how they come off? :giggle:

Simply push the plug onto the sensor a bit more whilst inserting a small flat bladed screwdriver into the rectangular hole of the plug and lift this tab AWAY from the sensor (towards the wires) and it will pop off easily.

HTH

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Removing the airfilter box (10mm bolt to the wing, disconnect the MAF electrical connection, the large ~100mm hose to the MAF and the small ~10mm hose to the back of the air filter box, plus the assosciated intake plastic pipes) makes this job much easier.  

I think on an auto like mine it is impossible without doing this, as the EGR cooler and its hoses further block access from the side.

I just changed my Ed100 CTS a couple of weeks ago, took no more than 10 mins from start to finish.

Removing the airfilter box (10mm bolt to the wing, disconnect the MAF electrical connection, the large ~100mm hose to the MAF and the small ~10mm hose to the back of the air filter box, plus the assosciated intake plastic pipes) makes this job much easier.  

By the time I had removed those bits it would have been changed and the bonnet closed  :D

• Like 1

Yours is manual though, right?  Not sure what you were complaining about in your original post, then - I could drive a bus down there without the honking great big EGR cooler in the way... :-p

Yes correct it’s a manual, don’t get me wrong there is certainly a knack to it as your arm is fully stretched to reach the sensor, but it is doable.

No idea on the Tiptronic though!

• 1 year later...