Rear Park Assist not switching off when trailer hitched

grahamar

Hi,

I have the factory fitted tow bar electrics and dealer fitted towbar from new.. I've noticed that the electrics connector is 7 pin ( the book says it will be 13 pin don't know if this is relevant)

Just had the first opportunity to hook up a trailer to the towbar and test.

Whilst the lights all work o.k. I notice that when I put the car in reverse the parking sensors do not deactivate - there is a continuous beelp and the display shows one orange bar around the bumper and all the blue lines are shown too.

Am I doing something wron here - I thought that the sensors where suppose to switch off when the electrics were connected, perhaps I am mistaken.

Any views from fellow Yeti owners who tow?

Many Thanks

Graham

They should have fitted the 13pin electrics socket which has a pin to turn off the rear sensors. There is no point in having the factory prep if the dealer then goes and fits a 7 pin socket. :no:

Edited by fuzzybunny

Thinking about it, the Skoda part is a 13 pin socket, so either they have used a spurious part or cut the proper bit off. I think you have a good case to insist that the job is domne again PROPERLY.

I was in the position of not having had a factory prep and a 7 pin socket fitted rather than the 13 pin I had specified from the dealer. A full twin electric dedicated harness has now been fitted with a 13 pin socket and I am about to have the download. I have been told that all the "stability" and "lighting" functions will all work perfectly but the reversing sensors will not disable.

No doubt a patch/switch will be available in the coming months/years!!

Let us know how you get on.

Thinking about it, the Skoda part is a 13 pin socket, so either they have used a spurious part or cut the proper bit off. I think you have a good case to insist that the job is domne again PROPERLY.

The question is what is the connection required to Pin 12 to activate the switching of the rear sensors?

For example if I replaced my 7 Pin plug on my trailer with a 13 Pin, what connection needs to be carried out to pin 12. Examples:-

Short to earth?

12v to the pin?

I've not had my tow bar fitted yet but I wonder if its such a big deal if the rear sensors are left on.

I mean the bleeping when you switch to reverse would remind you there was a trailer connected, just in case you forgot as some of these little garden trailers can't be seen from the rear window anyway.

Just an alternative view. :)

I've not had my tow bar fitted yet but I wonder if its such a big deal if the rear sensors are left on.

I mean the bleeping when you switch to reverse would remind you there was a trailer connected, just in case you forgot as some of these little garden trailers can't be seen from the rear window anyway.

You are right fuzzy - the buzzing when you reverse with a trailer or caravan hitched up isn't a real problem in view of the few minutes - hopefully- most of us will reverse during our lives.:rofl:

The other functions which are missing when the download (which is part of Skoda spec) is not done are much more important.

I am still in middle of picking up the pieces of my tow bar installation but will post again when all resolved. GB

Hi,

thanks for all the comments,

The tow bar and fittings are all Westfalia - pukka fit for the Skoad I think.. I don't know why a seven pin socket was fitted and didn't realise the relevance of it until I've gone and tried to hitch up the trailer.

What is this "download" that is needed?

I'm pretty certain the dealer didn't do this, as the reversing sensors weren't working after the towbar was fitted and I fixed that myself by finding and fitting the connector that was off one of the sensors.

For me the beeping is an irritant when reversing - it takes away your concentration when trying to reverse.

I'll give the dealer a call on Tuesday and see what they say.

Thanks again!

Graham

Edited by grahamar

Well it seems pretty clear to me that having the factory prep tow bar fitted is no guarantee of getting a decent tow bar fitting. Certainly you get a proper cover for the detachable tow bar but there is no guarantee that the third party tow bar fitter will actually use the specially fitted wiring harness. Seems to me they just use the standard scotch lock connections especially in this case where the cheaper 7 pin socket was fitted. The dealer needs a good kick up the posterior to sort this out properly.

;)

Hi,

I have the factory fitted tow bar electrics and dealer fitted towbar from new.. I've noticed that the electrics connector is 7 pin ( the book says it will be 13 pin don't know if this is relevant)

Just had the first opportunity to hook up a trailer to the towbar and test.

Whilst the lights all work o.k. I notice that when I put the car in reverse the parking sensors do not deactivate - there is a continuous beelp and the display shows one orange bar around the bumper and all the blue lines are shown too.

Am I doing something wron here - I thought that the sensors where suppose to switch off when the electrics were connected, perhaps I am mistaken.

Any views from fellow Yeti owners who tow?

Many Thanks

Graham

I have the factory fitted tow bar. (all 4x4 in Sweden are supplied with Westfalia from factory)

When I hook up my caravan it looks like this in my Bolero. No beep from parkassistant.

The car has 13pin and I use a converter (13->7) for my caravan. [i will switch to 13 pin on caravan later]

bolerodisplay.jpg

I have the factory fitted tow bar. (all 4x4 in Sweden are supplied with Westfalia from factory)

When I hook up my caravan it looks like this in my Bolero. No beep from parkassistant.

The car has 13pin and I use a converter (13->7) for my caravan. [i will switch to 13 pin on caravan later]

bolerodisplay.jpg

Thanks for the picture - I look forward to seeing that!

For me I get the orange and blue bars as if you were about to reverse into somethng, and the continuos beep that warns you of the same.

Clearly the system isn't recognising the trailer is connected to the tow bar.

I'll speak to the dealer and see what they recommend.

Graham

• 1 month later...

Just to close off this thread.

The Dealer where I bought the car from - ( who subcontracted the tow bar fitting to another company ) - finally came to an "arrangement" with my now local Skoda garage on who should for foot the bill to put this right ( hint: it wasn't me!) :D

So today - care of those awfully good folks at Victoria Garage in Maud, I have the Skoda supplied/fitted towbar electrics with 13 pin socket ( and 7 pin adapter) and all is working as it should. B)

Thanks to al the tips/advise about this - and to Scunjee who recommended the Garage - excelent service.

Graham

I tow a caravan with my yeti and the reversing bleeper does come on on for the short amount of time I am trying to reverse the van, certainly no big deal , as my tow bar and twin plugs were supplied and fitted for £ 279 I wont lose any sleep over such a trivial matter !

I tow a caravan with my yeti and the reversing bleeper does come on on for the short amount of time I am trying to reverse the van, certainly no big deal , as my tow bar and twin plugs were supplied and fitted for £ 279 I wont lose any sleep over such a trivial matter !

Sure - that makes sense to me.

The difference in my case was that I had paid for:

1) factory fitted towbar electrics and

2) Dealer fitted towbar.

So given that scenario - I expected it to work as described/sold to me. Which it now does with the added benefit that I found a really good Garage to do the serviciing going forward too

rgds

Graham

Edited by grahamar

Sure - that makes sense to me.

The difference in my case was that I had paid for:

1) factory fitted towbar electrics and

2) Dealer fitted towbar.

So given that scenario - I expected it to work as described/sold to me. Which it now does with the added benefit that I found a really good Garage to do the serviciing going forward too

rgds

Graham

Hi , Take your point if you have the skoda 13 pin plug does it work with the standard caravan plugs ? With regard to my crappy caravan reversing I am thinking of getting a motor mover will not hear the bleeper at all then Cheers Melly Boy

We had a westfalia towbar fitted at Startin Skoda at Powick ( we did not have the factory tow bar prep) with 13 pin electrics and proper harness, very smart finish/cover etc...and very pleased with it ...but we were still left with the beeping when in reverse using the towbar...as we do not have the park assist feature where you can turn the rear sensors off.

I think... not sure where on here? but someone, not sure who? said there is an update which your dealer can do to the command/control system that will sort the noise out by enabling the 12th pin to do its designed job and stop the beeping when in reverse when towing!

However, on reflection and as we are not used to towing, we have decidied at the moment to stick with the beeping ...so we remember :giggle: we have either a trailer or the bike carrier on the back ...as I mainly use my side mirrors when reversing... and Parker is a little prone to forgetfulness :rofl: this would seem a sensible idea...:o