Confused-please Explain

Look at the button on the dash, it will be labelled appropriatly. If I recall ESP is an optional extra, so if you didnt specify it your car will have ASR.

Thanks Manny.... :thumbup: ....I have found some old posts on the subject. I have ASR on the dash so I presume thats all I have. All must have MSR then :confused:

OK mine has ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and ASR (traction control) but there is only one button on the dash which is labelled ESP, ESP and ASR work together so switch one off and the other one is off by default.

Yeah, ASR and MSR are standard, ESP is an option. ASR (Automatic Skid Reduction) is basic traction control, which helps stop wheelspin (but not if only one wheel is spinning like when you need to get out if a junction quickly, in my experience). MSR (Motor Skid Reduction) just prevents you skidding from engine braking if you change down to too low a gear by mistake (dunno how, though... :confused: ) I think it's standard on all Fabias, and you can't turn it off, so there isn't a button. ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) is kind of 'Traction Control Plus'. As well as helping to stop wheelspin by limiting the power going to the front wheels, it can supposedly stop you sliding sideways into things if you go round corners too fast by selectively braking one or more wheels independently. It's probably only worthwhile getting it if you drive really fast on dodgy public roads (I'm not saying you should drive really fast on dodgy public roads ;) ). For those who like to drive fast on track days, I imagine that it (and the ASR) would be switched off by most people... TBH, as mentioned above, I've found that ASR isn't foolproof anyway, and there's no substitute for a bit of discipline with the ol' Right Foot ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why EDL was left off the vRS Furby when it's on all the other 1.9 TDi's?

Really helps prevent one wheel spinning the torque away.

Cheers

Lee

ESP coordinates ASR' date=' MSR and ABS for optimized driving on slippery roads.

When deactivating ESP or one other, the rest is not coordinated.[/quote']

Sounds convincing but not quite true. Esp works by braking selected wheels and reducing engine power. It is not just co oridinating the other systems, the ability to actively brake wheels is unique to esp equipped cars. The system works under all road conditions to deal with manouvres where loss of control may occur - not just slippery roads.