Superb Remapped

Well it had to be done, my Superb 2 PD140 DSG DPF is now remapped.

I was at the Shark Performance open day on May day bank holiday and took Ben up on his open day discount.

The car now feels so much more responsive, and better still on long runs the fuel economy seems to have improved. The DSG is letting the sides down a bit and perhaps not changing gear at the best time, eg. to soon. but driving in manual or sport mode gets over that to a degree. I am really impressed with the result, the car just feels better, the long distance run to Blandford Forum and back this week was so much more enjoyable than the same trip 2 weeks ago,.

Not sure on figures, but to me its how it drives thats important but it is estimated at around 175ish BHP.

If it changes gear too soon doesn't this create a lag where the motor has a hard time keeping up. Also a change in the configuration must effect the warrenty or does it?

The remap itself has not affected the gear changes, its just the way it always has been. Of course warranty is affected, unless you have a friendly dealer handy.

I don't understand the logic. Correct me if I am wrong, but If you are only getting 175 BHP ish after the remap, wouldn,t it have been just as well to have got the 168 BHP version of the engine in the first place?

You would have paid a little more but would have avoided any DSG programming mismatch and any warranty problems and, if I recall, would have been getting better mpg and CO2 figures than the 140 DSG anyway. You would also have had the smoother and quieter CR engine.

I don't understand the logic. Correct me if I am wrong, but If you are only getting 175 BHP ish after the remap, wouldn,t it have been just as well to have got the 168 BHP version of the engine in the first place?

You would have paid a little more but would have avoided any DSG programming mismatch and any warranty problems and, if I recall, would have been getting better mpg and CO2 figures than the 140 DSG anyway. You would also have had the smoother and quieter CR engine.

I prefer the way the PD delivers its power, and in the Superb the PD engine is almost inaudible from inside the cabin and even with the cost of the remap added to the purchase price of the car its still a lot less than buying a CR170 DSG of this spec. The remap is both DSG and DPF friendly, so no problems there. The CR170 DSG puts more torque through the same transmission, as does the 3.6 petrol. Fuel economy is now much improved now, and perhaps maybe how the superb should have been.

Had I got the CR170 I would have needed to have that remapped so that it delivered power the way I wanted, which for the CR costs considerably more than the PD version.

I have the 105 TDi Superb 2, which really did need a little external assistance ... this was provided last week by Awesome Gti and the car is sooooo much better to drive, now delivering 138.9 bhp but the big thing is pre remap 100 bhp arrived @ 3000 bhp up to 105 bhp @ 3700 bhp now I have 130 bhp @ 2500 revs peaking at 139 bhp @ 3000 revs holding 130 bhp through to 3900 revs - a much broader range

but

the fun is in the torque ....

pre map delivered 204 lbs at 1800 revs but it was a very very narrow delivery by 2500 revs dropping to 180 lbs

now at 1800 revs I have 240 lbs climbing to peak torque of over 261 lbs @ 2700 revs dropping gradually back to 240 lbs @ 3200 revs

the power delivery is smooth and constant and exactly where you want it for smooth motorway overtaking

Awesome did a great job (I am not affiliated in any way) and I can recommend them.

before everybody tells me I should have bought the 140 to start with... I used what budget I had then to add sat nav and the full rolling road remap cost me less than £300 ....

I have always wondered how people have courage to power up cars that have factory guarantee ? I know that these firms have their own guarantees, but how well do they work ? Because the fact is, that all those changes can be seen by the dealer`s service if something goes wrong... emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Hi,

Just wanted to add my opinion about these remaps.

Factory design engine to run like: 140 or 105 or 170.

It is calculated nominal working BHP So basically they know that engine can easily survive the warranty period and all parts it is calculated to these BHP

So basically why factory done like that they can easy do more BHP BUT NOT:

1) It is cost - more power more better (stronger) part need to make and fit

2) More power does not come from nowhere So more BHP on engine it is more hard turbine must work As in my opinion most remaps comes on Turbine boost + engine fuel correction as they correction ECU as after boost black smoke can come So need to correct fuel infections. Relevant to boost

3) Does it garage or call Remap people care about you engine or clutch or turbine

The ANSWER NO THEY DON’T CARE AS IT IS WILL BE YOUR PROBLEM AFTER THEY FAILL

4) PLEASE PEOPLE STOP SAYING FULL ECONOMY - Yes I agree maybe 20 % or something like that – BUT WHAT ABOUT COST ON REMAP it self DID YOU THINK 300 Pound someone pay for Remap when these fuels saving will save 300 Pounds ------- after 4 Years or …?

5) WHAT ABOUT CLUTCH COST + TYRES COST + TURBINE FAILURE 50 % MORE GEARBOX FAILURE ? AND SKODA WARANTY VOID?

DID SOMEONE INCLUDE THESE COST AFTER REMAP

WHAT ABOUT INSURANCE LET SAY ACSIDENT AND YOU CAR RIP OFF NEED AND LATER ISRANCE TO KNOW THAT YOU CAR WAS REMAPED

SO CAN YOU IMAGINE WHATS CAN BE

I HAVE 105 BHP AND IT IS MORE THAN I NEED

DOES IT MATER THESE BHP I CHANGE MY DRIVING STYLE TO COMFORT DRIVING AND LESS COST DRIVING AND IM LOOKING WITH SMILE ON THESE PEOPLE WHO GET SPEED TICKETS AND LATER CRYING HOW MANY POINTS THEY HAVE

SO I GLAD TO HAVE 105 BHP :rofl::thumbup:

Edited by Incognito

3) Does it garage or call Remap people care about you engine or clutch or turbine

Excuse me, but don't tar us all with the same brush. We do care about longevity (as do many other reputable remappers) and as our customers will tell you, we have a smooth and progressive style of mapping. Customer satisfaction is our top priority, as satisfaction means recommendations, which in turn means a good reputation and therefore repeat business.

It is my belief that there are many reputable companies who produce balanced remaps.

"Remappers" should not be immediately confused with power hungry teenagers,

My Remap company offered advice regarding thresholds and warranty, rolling road remaps, reflashes & chips

The main characteristic of my remap is not about sheer POWER but about where that power is delivered and making my car more responsive to my requirements and needs.

I have a CR 170 re mapped to 222 bhp and 325 lb/ft. Goes like stink. :yes:

Hi, where did you get the map done and was it RR'd ??

Excuse me, but don't tar us all with the same brush. We do care about longevity (as do many other reputable remappers) and as our customers will tell you, we have a smooth and progressive style of mapping. Customer satisfaction is our top priority, as satisfaction means recommendations, which in turn means a good reputation and therefore repeat business.

Here, Here Ben. I have now driven the car more than 700 miles since the remap and I must say that I am impressed with the map that Ben has installed. Ben has a great reputation on this forum, and I am another very satisfied customer.

This is the second car I have had remapped, and the first although done by a different tuner was still running perfectly 4 years after being mapped and that car was driven hard on many track days and the nurburgring.

Let's face it. In many cases, a remap will void engine and transmission warranties. This is a way for the manufacturer to protect themselves.

Differences in engine power may, however, also be a marketing issue. The mechanical parts may be identical and any differences in power and torque are done by a manufacturer's own software only "remap".

I'm not saying that it is the case here, but it is a possibility, since it has been done by VAG before.

Edited by warthog66

I have always wondered how people have courage to power up cars that have factory guarantee ? I know that these firms have their own guarantees, but how well do they work ? Because the fact is, that all those changes can be seen by the dealer`s service if something goes wrong... :o

Hi,

Just wanted to add my opinion about these remaps.

Factory design engine to run like: 140 or 105 or 170.

It is calculated nominal working BHP So basically they know that engine can easily survive the warranty period and all parts it is calculated to these BHP

So basically why factory done like that they can easy do more BHP BUT NOT:

1) It is cost - more power more better (stronger) part need to make and fit

2) More power does not come from nowhere So more BHP on engine it is more hard turbine must work As in my opinion most remaps comes on Turbine boost + engine fuel correction as they correction ECU as after boost black smoke can come So need to correct fuel infections. Relevant to boost

4) PLEASE PEOPLE STOP SAYING FULL ECONOMY - Yes I agree maybe 20 % or something like that – BUT WHAT ABOUT COST ON REMAP it self DID YOU THINK 300 Pound someone pay for Remap when these fuels saving will save 300 Pounds ------- after 4 Years or …?

5) WHAT ABOUT CLUTCH COST + TYRES COST + TURBINE FAILURE 50 % MORE GEARBOX FAILURE ? AND SKODA WARANTY VOID?

DID SOMEONE INCLUDE THESE COST AFTER REMAP

WHAT ABOUT INSURANCE LET SAY ACSIDENT AND YOU CAR RIP OFF NEED AND LATER ISRANCE TO KNOW THAT YOU CAR WAS REMAPED

SO CAN YOU IMAGINE WHATS CAN BE

I HAVE 105 BHP AND IT IS MORE THAN I NEED

DOES IT MATER THESE BHP I CHANGE MY DRIVING STYLE TO COMFORT DRIVING AND LESS COST DRIVING AND IM LOOKING WITH SMILE ON THESE PEOPLE WHO GET SPEED TICKETS AND LATER CRYING HOW MANY POINTS THEY HAVE

SO I GLAD TO HAVE 105 BHP :rofl::thumbup:

Remaps do not void engine and transmission warranties at all

I had my clutch replaced under warranty due to a spring failing despite the fact i was quite obviously modified. Only the warranty on the ECU is Void as thats what has been altered

I had my Car remapped at 5k miles and i am now at stage 2+

I have had the following done under warranty

Clutch replaced (which subsequently went again so i opted out of choice for a Sachs Clutch & Flywheel)

Windscreen Replaced due to De Lamination (Shock horror the dealer didnt try and claim it was due to the fact the car can accelerate quicker :dull: )

New Air Con Compressor

2 Front Wheel Bearings - Despite having Koni FSD's, Eibach Springs, Eibach Front & Rear ARB and Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

New DV replaced twice - now that could be attributed to the Map but as they are prone to fail on a standard car it was covered.

All of the work above was carried out by 4 different dealers across the country so it's not as if i was lucky and got a Mod Friendly Dealer.

My car is now at almost 59k miles and i have had no Major Engine/Transmission Failure (touches wood).

It's all about the delivery of the power and how you look after the car. My Map is progressive and Smooth so it doesn't overly stress anything. From what i have seen from RR Logs Ben's (Shark Performance) maps are the same.

But at the end of the day people who map their vehicles do so of their own choice knowing full well the risk they take. That is up to them nobody forces them to do it. Just as nobody forces anyone not to remap.

To add to all this, I would like to say that although in many cases hardware will be the same between the different power variants of a turbodiesel engine, in many cases it isn't. For example, on a less powerful version, they might have gone for a smaller turbocharger, or even same sized turbocharger and different "trim" compressor or turbine wheels that are perfectly good for say 105 PS and give quick spool up and good drivability. But, once you turn the fuelling up, the mass flow through them goes up, and they overspeed and lose efficiency. Also overspeed turbochargers drastically reduces their useful life, blades fatigue, fall off, get ingested into the engine, etc. A simple turbo failure can write off an engine. As the very least, I would consider having a periodic inspection of turbo wheels for fatigue. Or just make sure you have a higher power spec turbo on there, especially if you plan on sustained high power delivery, say a vehicle spending a lot of time doing high speed motorway runs.

And I would NEVER remap a DPF car, as this will just clog up the DPF regularly and don't think it is a good idea in the long term as it it likely to mess up the DPF regeneration strategy.

Remaps do not void engine and transmission warranties at all

I had my clutch replaced under warranty due to a spring failing despite the fact i was quite obviously modified. Only the warranty on the ECU is Void as thats what has been altered

I had my Car remapped at 5k miles and i am now at stage 2+

I have had the following done under warranty

Clutch replaced (which subsequently went again so i opted out of choice for a Sachs Clutch & Flywheel)

Windscreen Replaced due to De Lamination (Shock horror the dealer didnt try and claim it was due to the fact the car can accelerate quicker :dull: )

New Air Con Compressor

2 Front Wheel Bearings - Despite having Koni FSD's, Eibach Springs, Eibach Front & Rear ARB and Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

New DV replaced twice - now that could be attributed to the Map but as they are prone to fail on a standard car it was covered.

All of the work above was carried out by 4 different dealers across the country so it's not as if i was lucky and got a Mod Friendly Dealer.

My car is now at almost 59k miles and i have had no Major Engine/Transmission Failure (touches wood).

It's all about the delivery of the power and how you look after the car. My Map is progressive and Smooth so it doesn't overly stress anything. From what i have seen from RR Logs Ben's (Shark Performance) maps are the same.

But at the end of the day people who map their vehicles do so of their own choice knowing full well the risk they take. That is up to them nobody forces them to do it. Just as nobody forces anyone not to remap.

Good for you. But I`m still not convinced....one case is not enough to say that warranty stays on everywhere, in every case.

At the end of 2005 VW UK wrote to all dealerships about increasing power output by manipulating engine and/or gearbox management (chip tuning), ie performance-enhancing packages. The letter stated in part that 'the installation of such packages leads to an inadmissible increase in both power and torque, and in some cases the engine speed limit set by the factory....Interference of any type whatsoever by third parties in order to increase performance is not supported or encouraged by Volkswagen. Not only will this invalidate the warranty, it is likely that the overall vehicle safety will be compromised.

The increase in performance provided by these modifications is not only likely to increase fuel consumtion and impair the overall running quality of the engine, but is also likely to provide levels of performance over and above those approved safe by Volkswagen for the running gear, brakes and chassis. (VW) cannot be held liable for any damage caused as a result of these unsupported modifications. (VW) warranty obligations do not apply if defects or damage occur as a result of modifications, which (VW) have not approved. The liability risk for the consequences of using performance-enhancing packages passes to whoever installed the package onto the vehicle.

In this context (dealers) are obliged to inform their customers that performance-enhancing modifications, including the manipulation of the engine management system or the use of a third party engine control, will invalidate the warranty to the extent mentioned above.....'

Doubtless that letter has been updated since and applies equally to other VAG UK marques.

As long-term members will know, I thought long and hard before opting to have my Octavia 4X4 remapped about halfway into the warranty period. I don't regret having done so because it transformed the nature of the car.

(VW) cannot be held liable for any damage caused as a result of these unsupported modifications. (VW) warranty obligations do not apply if defects or damage occur as a result of modifications, which (VW) have not approved. The liability risk for the consequences of using performance-enhancing packages passes to whoever installed the package onto the vehicle.

That's what they have to prove. But equally you also have to prove the modification didn't cause the problem.

But as i said earlier it's up to the individual if they choose to alter the car whilst it's in it's warranty period.

I did mine and like DGW don't regret one minute of it. Not only did it transform the car. It also made it better on fuel. I can now get nearly 42mpg whilst on a motorway cruise. Before the remap the best i could manage was about 34mpg. So for me it was win win all the way :)

I have the 105 TDi Superb 2, which really did need a little external assistance ... this was provided last week by Awesome Gti and the car is sooooo much better to drive, now delivering 138.9 bhp but the big thing is pre remap 100 bhp arrived @ 3000 bhp up to 105 bhp @ 3700 bhp now I have 130 bhp @ 2500 revs peaking at 139 bhp @ 3000 revs holding 130 bhp through to 3900 revs - a much broader range

but

the fun is in the torque ....

pre map delivered 204 lbs at 1800 revs but it was a very very narrow delivery by 2500 revs dropping to 180 lbs

now at 1800 revs I have 240 lbs climbing to peak torque of over 261 lbs @ 2700 revs dropping gradually back to 240 lbs @ 3200 revs

the power delivery is smooth and constant and exactly where you want it for smooth motorway overtaking

Awesome did a great job (I am not affiliated in any way) and I can recommend them.

before everybody tells me I should have bought the 140 to start with... I used what budget I had then to add sat nav and the full rolling road remap cost me less than £300 ....

I speak from experience when I recommend remapping of the 1.9TDi 105, which transforms the driving experience.

The fuel economy is improved by about 10%, as I can drive at the same pace with less throttle. Over 4 years and 120,000 miles I estimate a fuel saving of £1,200, less the remap cost of £275 equals £925.

As for warranty, my local Skoda dealer openly advertise Superchips and in terms of the factory warranty, my Superb has only 16,000 miles remaining, this will be swallowed up in 6 months.

I would speculate that more cars suffer engine damage as a result of owners neglecting to undertake regular fluid (oil/water) checks, than due to the consequences of remapping.

Imagine how nice it would be to drive with 180 hp and heaps more torque. Less gear changes, better fuel consumption and a lot less TED whilst overtaking. Safety first lads........safety first !

Imagine how nice it would be to drive with 180 hp and heaps more torque. Less gear changes, better fuel consumption and a lot less TED whilst overtaking. Safety first lads........safety first !

TED ?

And my gear changes are done by the automatic transmissin, so who cares ? And safety is probably the worst excuse to remap a car, unless it has very little power to begin with... :giggle: If you need remapping to overtake a car, then you better learn how to drive ! Sorry, I had to... :)