VW could order Skoda to "withdraw from Western markets and move production east"

hmmmm, VW just need to make better cars to be fair! Skoda have picked themselves up along with VW's help... its now VW that needs to up their game maybe? :dull:

It will be a sad day if Skoda's sales are no longer going to be in europe :(

bringing up your own child that succeeds better than what you do? its still taking profit in for the group though....

The margins on the VW are better because you get less kit and less car for a higher price.

I was considering a superb 2 as my next car; however if skoda were to be moved out of the UK, then I think VW are deluded if they think I'd be buying anything else from the VAG group.

It would most likely be off to Ford or back to Citroen for me or if I had the money, I'd go up to a BMW/Mercedes

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Having thought about this a bit more, I can't really see it happening. Would they really just bin all the infrastructure and customer loyalty they have in place for Skoda in Western Europe?

Probably more likely is that they force Skoda to de-posh their cars as has already been suggested by VAG bosses recently.

Honestly I think they're playing a dangerous game. Skoda are a profitable manufacturer and have been for a number of years now. Why mess with a winning formula?

Is there any evidence to support the view that people buy Skoda cars instead of VWs.

If VW were to ban Skoda from western markets, there is no evidence to support the view that those people who would have bought Skoda would go and buy a VW instead. Its far more likely that they would buy another budget priced quality car.

With regard to moving production east. Are they further suggesting that Skoda cars would not be produced in the Czech Republic. I would think that Czech politicians would have a lot to say about that given the employment implications.

John

If VW were to ban Skoda from western markets, there is no evidence to support the view that those people who would have bought Skoda would go and buy a VW instead. Its far more likely that they would buy another budget priced quality car.

John

personally i would not spend the premium price for a vw, if i was spending that premium amount i'd consider going more for a bmw or merc, skodas are a completely different price band and affordability

Is there any evidence to support the view that people buy Skoda cars instead of VWs.

personally i would not spend the premium price for a vw, if i was spending that premium amount i'd consider going more for a bmw or merc, skodas are a completely different price band and affordability

Exactly. :thumbup:

I upgraded from a VW Golf to a Skoda Fabia, so why would I want to downgrade again?

If VAG think buyers will automatically go for another VAG brand if Skoda (and the SEAT brand seem to be in trouble) were not available to us, they had better think again. The same kind off Brand deleting and switching happened before with British Leyland and Rover, look what happened to them. It wasn't all to do with quality and investment.