toyo proxes t1 R

scrutineer

I had Conti's on a previous car.... the most expensive tyres I ever bought as it happens. I only got 10k out of them, and cant say they gave better grip than the Firestones I replaced them with.

I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Primacy on the Octy, and although they are expensive tyres, I have gotten great wear out of them (20k from fronts, 37k from rears), and have been happy with their performance.

Only use Continental tyres myself. Skoda fit them for a reason.

They get a big discount for a job lot......why else would they then fit Dunlop SPS on them after they Conti ran out? ;)

I hear what you're saying though...some manfacturer have tyres developed specifically for them......don't think Skoda falls into this category though.

well after a days testing - or was it work? i've got a bit more idea about them:

I have only got one negative comment so far i that on high speed cornering on what was a pretty greasy road surface they felt a bit light and were starting to let go but all other situations today they were better or the same as before.

the conditions were a mixture of dry and greasy.

In the traditional "dartford tunnel sprint" after the toll booths they were very impressive

:D

just need heavy rain amd some snow to complete the testing :D ...and possibly gravel as well

My understanding is that, for your average car/ driver, it is better to have the most tread at the rear of the car.

100% Correct, If the backs are low you stand a chance of the back breaking away & thats hard to catch. If the fronts are low all you are likely to suffer is understeer in the wet which is fairly easy to control.

Its especially true on Front Wheel Drive cars, a lot of FWD cars are bent following the rear end breaking away when someone enters a corner to quickly, panics, lifts off, the weight is transfered to the front which digs in & the back breaks away & you spin.

If youve never expewrienced it try going round a large roundabout FAIRLY QUICKLY in the wet with the power on & suddenly lift off, you will feel the car turn in tighter, Dont go TOO FAST or you might experience the Oh **** Moment.

I believe its something that rally drivers in FWD cars actually use to get the car facing the right way in a quick corner. Enter the corner, lift/break to gett the back coming round & then accelerate when its facing the way they want it to go

100% Correct' date=' If the backs are low you stand a chance of the back breaking away & thats hard to catch. If the fronts are low all you are likely to suffer is understeer in the wet which is fairly easy to control.

Its especially true on Front Wheel Drive cars, a lot of FWD cars are bent following the rear end breaking away when someone enters a corner to quickly, panics, lifts off, the weight is transfered to the front which digs in & the back breaks away & you spin.

If youve never expewrienced it try going round a large roundabout FAIRLY QUICKLY in the wet with the power on & suddenly lift off, you will feel the car turn in tighter, Dont go TOO FAST or you might experience the Oh **** Moment.

I believe its something that rally drivers in FWD cars actually use to get the car facing the right way in a quick corner. Enter the corner, lift/break to gett the back coming round & then accelerate when its facing the way they want it to go[/quote']

its always an entertaining way to go round a roundabout :D

for even more adrenaline.....turn off the asr as well :D

then the nextr stage is the "scandanavian flick" as you lift off turn the wheel briefly and sharply to the right to unsettle the car even more then apply opposite lock and power again ,get the right combination of power and lock to acheive the perfect sideways exit of roundabout :D:D

dont try this at home kids...or on a crowded road

its a good and serious point from both Stuart and Simon though,I've watched the test video and now some tyre companies refuse to put new tyres on the front only because of it!

Less tread on the front means easier aquaplaning.. which can mean a loss of control.. Also in the wet the fronts clear a channel for the rears to run thru..

Never understood this putting new tyres on the rear...

Daz

Less tread on the front means easier aquaplaning.. which can mean a loss of control.. Also in the wet the fronts clear a channel for the rears to run thru..

Daz

That assumes that aqualpaning will only ever happen in a straight line. Having the back end step out in a fwd car on worn rear tyres is not a pleasant experience. No matter how good you are, if you're not expecting it to go, you'll not catch it.

In the dry through new tyres have less grip than nearly worn outs on the front. Or if the road is damp or greasy then tread depth does'nt have any effect other than reducing the rubber contacting the road...

cheers

Dazz

If I've put new tyres on they have alway gone on the front....

Never had an uncontrollable oversteery moment.. Well unless there was snow and a deserted car park ..... :D

Daz

Probably true but Aquaplaining & Understeer whilst at times exciting are usually survivable for Mr Average with his natural reaction to come off the power.

A rear end breakaway is rare but more likely to be terminal & is made worse by lifting off, how many Novas & Pugs are trashed by little Jimmy Max Power loosing it on a bend or a Roundabout when they lift off.

Let's just say the TopGear tests where they did tests with worn out fronts OR rears, fronts AND rears, in the combinations, showed clearly that worn out rears are far harder to stay in control of during heavy breaking.

The limits in the UK for thread are very low compared to what is the law in The Netherlands, not sure why the required thread here is so low considering the amount of rain you get in the UK really.

As for the fronts clearing the water for the rears - imho that only works on a straight line anyway ;) less likely to work if you actually hit a puddle that's deep enough to cause that aquaplaning feeling hehehe.

I replace my tires when I get a bad feeling about them (or when they are not legal) - as it happens during the summer you don't usually have issues so I guess I tend to run the tires until the winter kicks in, when every bit of wet-grip can matter on those backroads :D

• 1 month later...

Thinking of buying the Toyos for my Fabia vrs, but which dealers fit them. Local dealers can't seem to ghet hold of them or are disinterested :( I can get them off the web (Blackcircles), but they seem more expensive as you have to pay for the guy to call round to fit them.

Any ideas?

Re the debate about having better tyres / more grip on the front or rear, I'm now an advocate for saying having the better ones on the back.

Comments about lift off oversteer, rear end snapping out being difficult to recover is only too true. I paid the ultimate price :(

If ever you drive in harsh conditions or push the car, imho, tyre life has no weight compared to grip levels. I'd rather have paid a lot more for tyres that only had half the life but much better grip than the ones I fit to the rear end of my furby. You may ask yourself why bother spending an extra

Exactly. For driving on the road, always go for more grip at the back. The number of people who give it the "oh i can catch it when the back goes" *******s is astonding. Yes, i can catch the back end when i know it's going to go and i'm ready for it, but when it just does it in the middle of a corner at half past midnight on a soaking wet december night then i defy anyone not to make a complete dogs breakfast of it.

Lift off oversteer is quite the most frightening thing that you can get, short of having a lorry steaming towards you on the wring side of the road, becuase it happens so quickly and the natural instinct to brake will only make it worse.

Yes, i can catch the back end when i know it's going to go and i'm ready for it, but when it just does it in the middle of a corner at half past midnight on a soaking wet december night then i defy anyone not to make a complete dogs breakfast of it.
Did you read my old post or are you psychic ?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Lift off oversteer is quite the most frightening thing that you can get, short of having a lorry steaming towards you on the wring side of the road, becuase it happens so quickly and the natural instinct to brake will only make it worse.
:thumbup: or rather I agree. If going round a bend too fast, it's far too easy to induce it by letting go of the throttle too!

When I get my new motor, I'd like to find a massive empty car park and really learn how the car behaves when you start going to fast round a bend, causing rear end to step out, which as you say instinctively makes you let go off the gas / brake which just makes things worse. :(

Just replaced my Michelin fronts on the Fabia vRS with the Toyo's and first impressions are good. Good grip and quieter than the Michelins. Haven't seen the best of them yet as the roads round here are covered in crap from farmers right now :(

Out of interest, what pressures are people running the Toyo's at? Standard pressure / a bit higher / bit lower ?

I stuck proxi tsr on late october after my dunlops were on the limit at 23K thought that was really good mileage. I had t1s on my last car an ibiza cupra and they helped it stick to the road much better than the previous originals then falcons and yoko A539s, thats why i went for t1r the spec is 20% up on the old t1s so even better all round.

I know i wont get 23k out of them thinking i'll get about 15 18K only but definitely worth it.

Evo magazine tested t1s and only got bet by goodyear eagle in the tyre test against conti/dunys/pirelli/bridgestone/avon/mich so t1r should be even closer to the