Fabia 1.2 6v 54bhp feel reaaally slow?

My Fabia 1.4 16v 100 bhp and finally died and I've been given a 7 year old Fabia 1.2 6v 54bhp with only 11k on the clock. I'm worried about how slow this car is though. Does it feel painfully slow to drive? Because I used to own a really slow Fiesta and it drove me mad to constantly have ppl tailgating me cause my car was so slow.

My Fabia 1.4 16v 100 bhp and finally died and I've been given a 7 year old Fabia 1.2 6v 54bhp with only 11k on the clock. I'm worried about how slow this car is though. Does it feel painfully slow to drive? Because I used to own a really slow Fiesta and it drove me mad to constantly have ppl tailgating me cause my car was so slow.

So..... you loose nearly half your BHP and you feel it may be a bit slow?

If your worried, do something about it.

So..... you loose nearly half your BHP and you feel it may be a bit slow?

If your worried, do something about it.

Cant afford another car yet and I'm guessing theres no point tuning a car like this. Filters, chipping and new exhausts will add almost no power gains at this bhp from what I've read.

lol dont dis the 1.2 this engine was designed esp for the fabia , and was so good it was the used in the polo and ibiza....... apparently lol

Well on the basis of my experience with the (VW) 1.4 16v engine, VW probably pinched the Skoda 1.2 engine because VW's own engines are so crap!

Edited by tag1_uk

The 54bhp engine is incredibly slow, there is no other way to describe it. I don't know why anyone buys a Fabia with that engine, the more powerful version is more economical!

You're right though, there is no point tuning it at all.

The 70bhp 1.2 is much better than the prehistoric 1.4. Still not exactly sprightly though. I owned one..... got rid after 4 months because I couldn't stand how slow it was any more.

depends on what you want from a car, if you buy a car with 60ish bhp then you have to kinda accept that its going to be a bit sluggish sometimes. for the majority of people that buy one of the 1.2's, weather it is the 54 or the 64 then it will do the job just fine. i had the 1.2 64bhp for about 18 months, was a good little motor for what it was. Just wasnt that good after it got immersed in water one night going home!

I'm trying, and failing to be happy about having this car. My wife doesn't want the stress of looking for another used car and just wants to take this one for nothing off her grandad. I can understand that but its very hard for me to pretend I'm happy about it. Need to find a way of getting excited about it for my wifes sake.

Cant afford another car yet

If this is the case, then there's not a lot of choice. Slow transport is better than none at all. You would probably be best to take the free car, at least until you can save up for something better.

Despite my previous comments there isn't really a lot wrong with the 1.2 54hp. SWMBO has one and she's quite happy with it. I tend to try and avoid driving it because you really notice the lack of power when you switch from a vRS. If you are worried about people tailgating you then there are two possibilities:

i) They are seriously impatient round where you live - the Fabia isn't that slow.

ii) You need to learn to anticipate traffic better, allowing for the lower performance. Don't pull out in front of people and expect to speed up because if you don't it will annoy them.

I can see why its bothering you, however the 1.4 isn't the quickest.

If it were me i'd keep it until I could afford a better car, better than no car!

well... my previous cars where mostly fiestas from mk1 to mk 5 in 1litre to 1.3 and then to a 98 ibiza 1.4..... I have to say im more than happy with the performance of my 6v ...... it all depends what you are used to, I have always drove low powered cars because insurance costs in Northern Ireland have always been stupid for some reason.....

I thought the 1.2 was a 12v engine?

And 3 cylinders? Which is one cylinder short of an engine :rofl:

they do a 6v and 12v

54 and 64 bhp then later tuned to 60 and 70bhp respectively

Edited by fabia55

Recently bought a 6v version for my lad to learn to drive in as it's cheap insurance and surprisingly the Fabia was his choice :)

OK it's no pocket rocket but I've been pleasantly surprised how well it performs on a cross country run, even managed overtaking stuff with little drama; find third gear gets it going.

Owned a 12v version about 4 years ago, which from memory was marginally more sprightly; drove that one to Euro Disney :)

Regards,

TP

Owned a 12v version about 4 years ago, which from memory was marginally more sprightly; drove that one to Euro Disney :)

I've got the 12v 64bhp Fabia. I'm perfectly happy with it, but I didn't buy it to break any land speed records. Having said that though, it is quite sprightly....had it up to 90mph briefly on the motorway and the engine had plenty more to give.

The car suits my style of driving, but I don't think I would want to step down to anything less powerful.

:rofl: put a baby on board sign on it will or should make people back off abit

I put mine on and people are usualy generous giving you way :thumbup: but when im alone I take it off coz I do the bullying if im provoked :giggle:

Edited by REDFABVRS

i had a mark 1 with the 1.2 12v 64brake and it cruised nicely at 80mph. The 70brake version feels similar in the lighter mark 2.

i think the fact that maximum torque is only at 3000 revs is quite low compared to other petrol engines means u don't need to rev very high to get it going. I sometimes have to brake if I'm following other cars up hill. I just take a run at the bottom of the hill and keep at around 3000revs. no need to rev too high or labour the engine.

of course that's on my own, i would need to down a gear if fully laden to 3rd.

Edited by fabia55

I had a 1.2 12v courtesy car once and found it very nippy around town, I loved the nose it made, like a V6, especially if you revved it and got 40 mpg out of it as well. :thumbup:

The only thing was, out of town, you put your foot down and it just made a noise and not much else!! :thumbdown: I was very glad to get my vRS back afterwards.

I had a 1.2 12v courtesy car once and found it very nippy around town, I loved the nose it made, like a V6, especially if you revved it and got 40 mpg out of it as well. :thumbup:

The only thing was, out of town, you put your foot down and it just made a noise and not much else!! :thumbdown: I was very glad to get my vRS back afterwards.

I have got the Fabia 1.2 now and if nothing else I find it comical with the noises it makes and the harsh brakes. Oddly I find that it being a bright blue colour as opposed to the silver colour of my last Fabia seems to mean that our car get noticed more and people seem to give way more. 3rd gear seems to get the job done but when my wife has to do a gig and needs to load up the car with instruments and a case full of music Im not sure how the car will cope.

Having said that though we are going to buy another car in 3 or 4 months. Maybe a VW passat or an Octavia. Something that has room in the boot for a cello and for a pushchair (our first child 'Chloe' is due in 6 weeks) and will cope with a heavy load of instuments and music and passangers.

Edited by paratus

My 1.4mpi befitted from induction kit. freed up the rev range and gave me better low down torque not much mind but enough. loaded up its still drasticly slow

• 4 months later...

Cant afford another car yet and I'm guessing theres no point tuning a car like this. Filters, chipping and new exhausts will add almost no power gains at this bhp from what I've read.

hay i did all of this 2 my skoda & made a gain is power & speed & i did a decat & only have 1 exhaust box on the bk top speed went up from 90mph 2 115mph even get a pop & flames from exhaust wem goin from 1st to 2nd wiv the decat lol not sure wot bhp its runin at but a lot better from wen i got it scotty

Edited by skoda scott