An antidote to colour-coded grilles Pt 2 - the pictures

Glad to hear that -- but I'm dreading going to Stretton and seeing those Calitos in red :'(

I'll leave them silver, just for you :thumbup:

(Then do my spare set red :rofl: )

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say the whole front end look a lot less offensive now you've painted the surround black and got rid of the rainbow effect, but it's still like comparing Bernard Manning to Roy Chubby Brown

Your wish................ :thumbup:

Light was fading when I took these - I'll get some better ones tomorrow

P1100448.jpg

im going to colour code the grill on my black vrs, all i want to do is get rid of the chrome and go for the stealth look, could i just spray the chrome with either a matt black or would i have to match it up with the same colour of the grill {wotever colour it is} how easy is it do, and would i also have to spray the grill to get it all to match up :smirk:

Edited by studmuffin

im going to colour code the grill on my black vrs, all i want to do is get rid of the chrome and go for the stealth look, could i just spray the chrome with either a matt black or would i have to match it up with the same colour of the grill {wotever colour it is} how easy is it do, and would i also have to spray the grill to get it all to match up :smirk:

If only it were that easy.

You need to either seriously rub the chrome down, or apparently (not that I've tried it) put it in a bleach bath to get rid of it.

Then apply a good primer - I used an etching primer from Halfords (£11.99 a can), then a matt black finish on top (Plastikote Super Matt from Wilkinsons). Decided not to go for the black magic colour code this time.

P1100628.jpg

If only it were that easy.

You need to either seriously rub the chrome down, or apparently (not that I've tried it) put it in a bleach bath to get rid of it.

Then apply a good primer - I used an etching primer from Halfords (£11.99 a can), then a matt black finish on top (Plastikote Super Matt from Wilkinsons). Decided not to go for the black magic colour code this time.

P1100628.jpg

how easy is it to rub down ?? did u spray your grills as well ? how does it all match up with the skoda colour on the bonnet ? seriously though, it looks f**cking good....... and i want it on mine.......:p

how easy is it to rub down ?? did u spray your grills as well ? how does it all match up with the skoda colour on the bonnet ? seriously though, it looks f**cking good....... and i want it on mine.......:p

Thanks

I rubbed the surround down until it had lost the chrome shine - it's hard work, but if I can do it, I'm sure others can

The first time I colour-coded my surround I did use black magic for a complete match - this time i used matt black for a bit of relief

The grille fins are untouched, as I don't feel any need to paint something matt black which is already matt black

Edited by Brimma

Thanks

I rubbed the surround down until it had lost the chrome shine - it's hard work, but if I can do it, I'm sure others can

The first time I colour-coded my surround I did use black magic for a complete match - this time i used matt black for a bit of relief

The grille fins are untouched, as I don't feel any need to paint something matt black which is already matt black

what did you rub the chrome down with ? and also does the skoda badge seprate from the grill and surround or is it just a case of masking it off ?

what did you rub the chrome down with ?

Rough grade sandpaper and an awful lot of elbow grease

and also does the skoda badge seprate from the grill and surround or is it just a case of masking it off ?

Yes it does separate - heat the badge up with a hair dryer, then very gently prise it up with a screwdriver to avoid bending the edges

Edited by Brimma

Yes it does separate - heat the badge up with a hair dryer, then very gently prise it up with a screwdriver to avoid bending the edges

Don't forget the lugs at the rear of the badge need cutting off as they are melted in situe! :thumbup:

Rough grade sandpaper and an awful lot of elbpw grease

how does it the badge go back afterwards ? will i have to glue it or does it click back together ?

how does it the badge go back afterwards ? will i have to glue it or does it click back together ?

There's a doughnut-shaped double-sided sticky pad on the back of the badge - again, if you're careful when you take it off, it might w ell go back on again - just make sure you put something peelable on the pad when you've removed it to ensure it keeps it's tackiness :thumbup:

There's a doughnut-shaped double-sided sticky pad on the back of the badge - again, if you're careful when you take it off, it might w ell go back on again - just make sure you put something peelable on the pad when you've removed it to ensure it keeps it's tackiness :thumbup:

thanks, going for it, might put some before and after fotos on here..... :yes:

Edited by studmuffin

wilko dont seem to spray paint anymore, so going to get a can of primer and a can of matt black from halfrauds unless any body else has got any better ideas :S

Job done, i now have a colour coded vrs grill, and very nice it looks too! the only trouble is i don’t know how long its going to last, put 3 coats of primer, and a whole can of matt black which was about 5 coats, looks nice but not very durable was thinking of putting some sort of lacquer on to protect it, failing that, its such a quick and easy job to do, it wouldn’t really matter how long it lasted, i would just respray it.

Yes, pics please. You went for the matt finish in the end? Still not sure if I want matt or glossy yet

You can see what the matt version looks like on Sunday :thumbup:

Pics tomorrow ? :thumbup:

yeah, once i know how to get them on here...... still learning how to use photobucket ! is photobucket the only way you can get pics on here ?

just type 'image hosting' into google, will bring up a few choices

Tinypic are OK as you dont have to register or login with them

You can see what the matt version looks like on Sunday :thumbup:

633802202918840145-Excellent.jpg

:thumbup:

Edited by Rhoobarb

No, just resize to make jpg file smaller, then use attach file button on the reply screen on here.

Mike

:smirk:

cant find attach file button......