Skoda convert - vRS or 4x4 turbo?

Kev_turbo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went through similar thoughts as you when I finally decided to get rid of my Impreza STi & eventually bought a 4x4 to see what it was like, that was 20 months & about 30000 miles ago & I think for me it was the right decision.

Steve says better equipped, yes it has a sporty interior & a few external beutifications but is FWD better equiped than 4WD, personal choice I guess.

Yes as standard it has more BHP, 180 agaimst 150 but both can be remapped to the same figure so for about

I have had a few 4X4 cars,and apart from the extra traction on wet getaways have not been over impressed (Justy, XT Coupe, Sierra XR, Golf synchro, Celica GT4) with the extra thirst, complexity or grip once you have released the throttle.

Nice idea, but vRS for me personally!

JT

... and for the flipside to that I've had a dozen 4x4 road cars now.

The sheer security of being able to plant the throttle in all conditions - including pulling out of junctions - outweighs any of the traditional arguments about extra weight or fuel consumption for me (which was marginal in any case on my Octavia 4x4)

4WD = Peace of mind and generally better for handling more power IMHO

vRS all the way! :D Better equipped and faster.

Better equipped? Which cloud are you currently sat on? Don't recall the RS having side airbags' date=' headlamp washers, centre armrest, ESP, hell they even took the rear maplights out! And don't mention the part leather interior, only the tops are leather, the side black sections are just PVC....

They also have a lot more road presence.

Very true, if that is what you want... In a perfect world I certainly would, but I love being able to leave mine anywhere without worrying about it, and the fact that plod leave me alone (unless I'm doing silly speeds :o )

Drive both, see what you prefer. Cross country an "only remapped" 4x4 is more fun, but an "only remapped" RS will be more fun on long sweeping A roads, but only at licence losing speeds...

If you never ever need to pull out quickly onto a wet roundabout then go for a vRS, otherwise go for the 4x4. Not sure why the vRS wasn't 4x4 in the first place as the TT and S3 both were. Haldex system only uses fwd unless it needs more grip so not much fuel losses.

unless you happen to live next to a particulary snow prone tescos car park and enjoy spending more on fuel in return for less steering feedback, generally sloppy handling and downright poor braking i suggest you buy a vRS... not to mention the inferior seat trim / wheels etc....

if you wish to tune your car a lot dont go for the 4x4.. there is a derth of products (exhausts/downpipes)available and the haldex will not handle big power.

if you need 4x4 i suggest a kia sorento or used discovery... these are actually capable off road and in poor weather.....

For an road driving there's no need for a proper big 4x4. I've gone from a defender 90 to a discovery then to an audi quattro and on even really muddy backroads the audi does everything they could.

As has been said, the haldex system (vomit) is capable of big power outputs. It's used in the TT at 225 and whatever the v6 gives out. Variations are in the toareg v10 and the Veyron (if it actually exists).

Comes down to preference, having had 4x4s for a while i'd never go back to a fwd car unless i had to (i had to, before you ask). But then i do do a lot of driving that a fwd car would really struggle to do.

I've just noticed everyone has missed the obvious reply - go try them both. I drove both RS and 4x4 before plumping for the 4x4. Traction was what it came down to for me, whats the point in having 180hp if it gets rained back by the traction control? I don't miss the torque steer, however slight, that you inevitably get with fwd either. Would I like mine to look like an RS, have bigger wheels, sportier interior, better brakes, slightly more sporting bias suspension etc - yes of course, but the RS is less sophisticated (fwd, no independent rear suspension, less creature comforts) and costs more - or at least the two ~1 year old models I was looking at. You pays your money, you takes your pick.

Waste of time asking for an impartial opinion on this site :rolleyes:

Try both and choose the one you like most :)

Haven't all the 4X4 owners given impartial opinions, Geoff? :confused:

but 4x4 are for ****ing puffs only.

so buy a vRS :rofl:

I'm gay and have a 4x4 but don't understand the link, could you please explain?

As for the other issues mentioned:

Brakes - I have brembos and they work fine.

Haldex - The 600bhp R32's seem to be doing ok.

Seats - I prefer my konigs to the vRS seats.

Wheels - I'm more than happy with my 18" Oettingers.

ffelan, how many gearboxes did your car go through in 20k?

just 1. the second diff failed outside of this... not that drifting had anything to do with this...:D

try slicks and 300hp out of your 4x4 and see how long its box / haldex lasts..

how long did colins 4x4 units last... oh um approx 20k wasnt it....

240mm wide btcc slicks put far more force through any car.

try both. vRS is the drivers car.. 4x4 is not but if you encounter mild terrain/bumpy country lanes the extra traction may be of use... i personally cant live with the bouncy suspension and reduced feel.

as for the traction arguement... if you cant control wheelspin with your foot you obviously require more lessons...:P

Brakes - I have brembos and they work fine.

Seats - I prefer my konigs to the vRS seats.

Wheels - I'm more than happy with my 18" Oettingers.

ouch that pushes a 4x4 elegance clear of 20k....

most people dont wish to spend that much.....

you have forgotten to mention that you have an armrest... which vRS's do not... does this combat the roof bars in lowering the centre of gravity...:D

as for you being gay... entirely your choice:thumbup:

do we have any gay Octy vRS owners? :confused: