di-noc 3m wrapping

Decided to wrap my trim with some 3m di-noc stuff i picked up after research on carbonfibre wrapping. I bought a genuine carbon fibre wrapped ashtray cover and gear surround cover off another member with the plan of wrapping my stereo/climate surround to match.

After doing a bit of research i decided the 3m stuff was the best to use (its awesome to use actually) watch some youtube vids you can screw it up, go round curves, all without permanent creases as long as you take your time with it and use heat to get out the creases and mold it.

Problem was the 3m stuff is matt and the carbon i had was gloss, as a luck had it i actually like the matt look to the 3m more, so i put my carbon pieces to one side and used my original bits instead and am quite pleased with the results.

What do you think?

DSC00239_800x600.jpg

DSC00240_800x600.jpg

DSC00238_800x600.jpg

original carbonfibre wrapped parts

DSC00241_800x600.jpg

DSC00242_800x600.jpg

Edited by sweedish

Not sure on the gear kn0b, but the rest I like :thumbup:

Although I wonder what it would be like if you just did the surrounds - ie. stereo/climate and gear lever and left the ashtray as standard?

Guest westallc

nice but have to say the original carbon fibre ashray and gear surround look so much better imo :thumbup:

cheers, only did the geartop to cover a vw badge (might change it as not sure myself), as i have had to cut down an ally vw gearknow to fit my quickshift setup.

Well dont have original carbon fibre to match the 2 parts i have and the di-noc doesnt match it at all. To be honest i dont like the finish on the carbon fibre ash tray cover anyway, its not as good as it could be or the gearstick surround.

The standard ashtray cover would look naff left with the other stuff wrapped, hell it all looks naff, why the hell did skoda print that colour and claim its carbon effect, its not, it looks nothing like either of the 2 carbon fibre types i have, this looks soooooooo much better than original, i might make this mod compulsary for everyone on here :giggle::rofl:

Guest westallc

i will fit your turbo for you buddy not a problem

and diff when it comes to it

just get the bacon rolls in :thumbup:

thanks mate :yes:

yes well pleased with it too.

recon a couple of hours all in, did blow up a hairdryer in the process which did add to the time (and smoke in my kitchen!) :giggle:

The standard ashtray cover would look naff left with the other stuff wrapped, hell it all looks naff, why the hell did skoda print that colour and claim its carbon effect, its not, it looks nothing like either of the 2 carbon fibre types i have, this looks soooooooo much better than original, i might make this mod compulsary for everyone on here :giggle::rofl:

Just realised the vrs ash tray is not the standard "plastic" as I have in my elegance..... Hence better covered than not, as then the styles match.

yup the elegance stuff is black and much better imo, you might be able to get away with mix and matching parts, but this looks a thousand percent nicer than the vrs stuff so it would look odd leaving bits standard.

Lordrobs, you can do it, its really nice stuff to use, just need patience thats all!

Lordrobs, you can do it, its really nice stuff to use, just need patience thats all!

Well it turns out a friend of mine has some going spare so we are doing it tomorrow.

Did you fold yours over the edges or cut it flush to the edge?

Oh yes I'm liking that look. Gonna get some ordered now. Hopefully will have chance to do it this sun, but depends on how long the other mods and deletions of crap sensors take.

Edited by jpd

i basically went round and over the edges then cut flush just behind if that makes sens, some bits you need to cover more than others like the front edge of the gearstick surround as if you dont do that when you open the ashtray you will see the old trim underneath. Just look at how stuff fits in the car to see exactly what needs covering if that makes sense?!

Ahh! So that's what mine would have looked like if I remembered to check the weave alignment before doing the ashtray... lol

Alternative pics with ashtray trimmed in opposing direction.

Still in two minds to re-do it so it matches but I actually think it looks pretty well, as the contrast helps delineate the parts.

Worthwhile mod though, looks a lot better than the standard vRS aluminium effect IMO. :thumbup: