How to fix the CD Changer "MECHANIC" error :-)

Many people will have had the "MECHANIC" error on the stereo when trying to play CD's from the changer. Mine used to do it most of the time, and was really starting to get annoying!! I also used to have the problem of the changer occasionally not detecting CDs properly (Saying NO CD1 for example, when there IS actually a CD there)

I had a free afternoon, so I thought I would dismantle the changer and find out the cause of the problems.

Both probelms are actually caused by the same thing, which is amazingly obvious now that I know what it is.

So...

The "MECHANIC" error actually means mechanism error. To understand what this means, we need to know how the cd changer actually works, and how it gets the CD's from the cartridge into the CD player.

When you first put the CD cartridge in, it will check all the positions (1-6) and see which have CD's and which don't. That's fine, and it obviously remembers this until it is ejected again.

It seems that the "MECHANIC" error appears when the changer tries to load a cd from a slot which it expects to contain a CD (it knows which slots should contain CD's from when it first checked the cartridge), but it doesn't find one, which makes it think there is a mechanism error. Hope that makes sense.

HOW THE CD CHANGER LOADS CD'S (Rough pic below):

The cd changer loads CD's by grabbing the cd and pulling it into the player. It grabs it with a small plastic arm which has two rubber/felt lined 'paddles' which clamp onto the cd in the cartridge. As the CD is pulled in, it passes past an optical Infra red sensor which detects the cd. It's when this sensor doesn't detect the CD, but should have done, which causes the error. This means the arm has grabbed the cd and tried to load it, but has 'dropped' it half way, if that makes sense.

I dismantled my changer and watched it do it's thing with the cover off so I could see what was going on, and sure enough, it grabbed the cd, but couldn't hold on to it hard enough to overcome the spring in the cartridge, so the CD sprung back into the cartridge, and hey presto, a MECHANIC error on the screen.

THE FIX (Simple, but awkward to do (Pic below):

If you take a close look at CD's after they have been in the player, there will be an imprint on the disc where the mechanism has grabbed it.

Over time, the 'paddles' inside the changer get coated with dust, grime and grease (fingerprints etc)from CD's which stops them from properly gripping onto the CD.

To sort it, I used a cotton swab soaked with IPA alcohol and gave the 'paddles' a good wipe with it. It was amazing how much dirt came off them. I actually had the changer in bits, so it was really easy, but it will probably be a lot harder with the changer assembled.

Let it dry for a bit, and enjoy the fruits of your labour!!

Here are the 'paddles', circled in red, looking through the cartridge slot:

changer2.jpg

Here is a diagram I drew in paint which explains how the changer works:

changer3-1.jpg

My Changer now works absolutely flawlessly, and it used to be a real PITA before the fix, so job's a good 'un, as they say.

For those people who have succesffuly fixed the problem by blasting air into the changer, well done, I am glad it has worked for you. I would not recommend this, however, as the CD changer is complex, and has a lot of small moving parts which have lubricant grease on them. Blasting dust into this grease will eventually cake it up, and may cause the changer to seize. Just my opinion. Don't flame me telling me that it has worked. As I said, it may have worked fine for you, but I just don't think it is the right way to approach it.

now for the official bit:

This fix is not endorsed or recommended by Briskoda, or Skoda Auto. I have personally tried it, and it has worked for me, and I have 100% confidence that this is the cause of the problem.

Do not hold me responsible if you break your CD changer while trying to do this fix.

Edited by rk696
  • Like 1

So far, I've only ever had this error occasionally, when the CD load happens to co-incide with certain types of road bump. Unless it's persistent, you'll probably find that removing and re-fitting the cartridge will be enough.

So far, I've only ever had this error occasionally, when the CD load happens to co-incide with certain types of road bump. Unless it's persistent, you'll probably find that removing and re-fitting the cartridge will be enough.

That would make sense, becuase taking the cartridge out and putting it back in again will make it re-cehck all the CD's and get rid of the error. Also, if the jolt is big enough to make it 'drop' the cd halfway through loading, it will cause the error too.

Many people will have had the "MECHANIC" error on the stereo when trying to play CD's from the changer. Mine used to do it most of the time, and was really starting to get annoying!! I also used to have the problem of the changer occasionally not detecting CDs properly (Saying NO CD1 for example, when there IS actually a CD there)

I had a free afternoon, so I thought I would dismantle the changer and find out the cause of the problems.

Both probelms are actually caused by the same thing, which is amazingly obvious now that I know what it is.

So...

The "MECHANIC" error actually means mechanism error. To understand what this means, we need to know how the cd changer actually works, and how it gets the CD's from the cartridge into the CD player.

When you first put the CD cartridge in, it will check all the positions (1-6) and see which have CD's and which don't. That's fine, and it obviously remembers this until it is ejected again.

It seems that the "MECHANIC" error appears when the changer tries to load a cd from a slot which it expects to contain a CD (it knows which slots should contain CD's from when it first checked the cartridge), but it doesn't find one, which makes it think there is a mechanism error. Hope that makes sense.

HOW THE CD CHANGER LOADS CD'S (Rough pic below):

The cd changer loads CD's by grabbing the cd and pulling it into the player. It grabs it with a small plastic arm which has two rubber/felt lined 'paddles' which clamp onto the cd in the cartridge. As the CD is pulled in, it passes past an optical Infra red sensor which detects the cd. It's when this sensor doesn't detect the CD, but should have done, which causes the error. This means the arm has grabbed the cd and tried to load it, but has 'dropped' it half way, if that makes sense.

I dismantled my changer and watched it do it's thing with the cover off so I could see what was going on, and sure enough, it grabbed the cd, but couldn't hold on to it hard enough to overcome the spring in the cartridge, so the CD sprung back into the cartridge, and hey presto, a MECHANIC error on the screen.

THE FIX (Simple, but awkward to do (Pic below):

If you take a close look at CD's after they have been in the player, there will be an imprint on the disc where the mechanism has grabbed it.

Over time, the 'paddles' inside the changer get coated with dust, grime and grease (fingerprints etc)from CD's which stops them from properly gripping onto the CD.

To sort it, I used a cotton swab soaked with IPA alcohol and gave the 'paddles' a good wipe with it. It was amazing how much dirt came off them. I actually had the changer in bits, so it was really easy, but it will probably be a lot harder with the changer assembled.

Let it dry for a bit, and enjoy the fruits of your labour!!

Here are the 'paddles', circled in red, looking through the cartridge slot:

changer2.jpg

Here is a diagram I drew in paint which explains how the changer works:

changer3-1.jpg

My Changer now works absolutely flawlessly, and it used to be a real PITA before the fix, so job's a good 'un, as they say.

For those people who have succesffuly fixed the problem by blasting air into the changer, well done, I am glad it has worked for you. I would not recommend this, however, as the CD changer is complex, and has a lot of small moving parts which have lubricant grease on them. Blasting dust into this grease will eventually cake it up, and may cause the changer to seize. Just my opinion. Don't flame me telling me that it has worked. As I said, it may have worked fine for you, but I just don't think it is the right way to approach it.

now for the official bit:

This fix is not endorsed or recommended by Briskoda, or Skoda Auto. I have personally tried it, and it has worked for me, and I have 100% confidence that this is the cause of the problem.

Do not hold me responsible if you break your CD changer while trying to do this fix.

got a 57 plate octy vrs yesterday, cant seem to get autochanger to work, the unit takes the cds, the hu can see all the cds, but i cannot select which cd i want to play,if i select a cd , it will just play the cd thats in the hu, i dont get any 'mechanic messages' on the hu, would the above fix cure it or is it a differant problem i have ?

got a 57 plate octy vrs yesterday, cant seem to get autochanger to work, the unit takes the cds, the hu can see all the cds, but i cannot select which cd i want to play,if I select a cd , it will just play the cd that's in the hu, I don't get any 'mechanic messages' on the hu. Would the above fix cure it or is it a different problem I have ?

You say it only plays the cd that is in the head unit so that suggests that you have an aftermarket unit. Also the fact you do not the MECHANism message suggest a different type of player.

The Skoda Symphony unit has no slot in the HU for cds. All the cds are in the jukebox in the boot.

You say it only plays the cd that is in the head unit so that suggests that you have an aftermarket unit. Also the fact you do not the MECHANism message suggest a different type of player.

The Skoda Symphony unit has no slot in the HU for cds. All the cds are in the jukebox in the boot.

Not quite true, you could get Skoda Symphony CD head units which will also control the CD autochanger. I believe that they were an option on the Octavia, and standard on the Superb.

In answer to Studmuffin, if you press the CD button, it will play the CD in the head unit, if you then press one of the preset buttons it will play the CD in that slot of the CD autochanger.

Pressing the CD button with no CD in the head unit will default to the last CD to be played in the Autochanger.

Hi,

Not related to the post but can you tell me how to upload pics like you have to be in the actual posting? I can't seem to add photos but can add a link to Photobucket for example.

Thanks

got a 57 plate octy vrs yesterday, cant seem to get autochanger to work, the unit takes the cds, the hu can see all the cds, but i cannot select which cd i want to play,if i select a cd , it will just play the cd thats in the hu, i dont get any 'mechanic messages' on the hu, would the above fix cure it or is it a differant problem i have ?

To be honest, it sounds like a different problem which you have. This post is for the MK1 octy with the symphony tape (or sometimes cd) hu and 6 disc changer in the boot.

When you select the try to play a cd from the changer, can you hear the changer working?

Hi,

Not related to the post but can you tell me how to upload pics like you have to be in the actual posting? I can't seem to add photos but can add a link to Photobucket for example.

Thanks

That's what I used. From photobucket, copy the Direct Link URL, then add it onto your post using the "Insert Image" button.

its not a aftermarket hu, its the factory fit, whatever that is, bolero ?????

To be honest, it sounds like a different problem which you have. This post is for the MK1 octy with the symphony tape (or sometimes cd) hu and 6 disc changer in the boot.

When you select the try to play a cd from the changer, can you hear the changer working?

yep i can hear the cd changer working

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Excellent fix and write up thanks.

However, I recommend against using Isopropyl Alcohol (or any alcohol or solvent for that matter) when cleaning rubber, since it will potentially dry out the rubber, and leave it hard rather than grippy in time.

If you search around (ebay for instance) you should be able to find Rubber Roller cleaner (useful for capstans, idlers and tape deck drives ;)) which will do the job perfectly.

• 3 months later...

Fantastic guide, been having this problem for a while on mine now so really want to fix it.

You say its a pita without dismantling the unit so my question is .... is there a way to get the paddles to its most easiest to reach point then disconnect the power but obviously not having the cd holder in place.

Hope this makes sense

Regards Dave

Edited by Dave D

• 1 year later...