Smoke/Tinted Headlights

A photoshop edit to see how the Fabia would look with smoked headlights..

IMO it looks kind of cool..

is it legal? and does anybody know how it would be done

FABVRS.jpg?t=1276120346

P.S The number plate is just for jokes :rofl:

lamin-x, you can get smoked or subtle tint.. Im debating on whether or not I should try out 'yellow' instead of the normal tint colour.. but its quite expensive for what it is.. worked out to be about £30 odd for fronts and fog. (2x 12" x 16" sheets)

Side question.. has anyone tried using normal tints? will they melt? since fabia lights are only plastic I assume/d it doesnt get too hot..? (wishful thinking) :D

Edited by JLneonhug

My front fogs are Fly eyed at the moment

and there's a nice chap on here called Duncan that

has a black furby which has been fully lamin-x'd on the front and flyeyed on the rear.

The black fabia he has is pictured in here the lamin x gallery :thumbup:

http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/gallery/gunsmoke.htm

Edited by grr666

since fabia lights are only plastic I assume/d it doesnt get too hot..? (wishful thinking) :D

Fogs are glass mate, Recently I bought a new pair for my car and haven't fitted them yet.

I've just finished Lamin xing one of them yellow myself. Looks pretty good but

It's very thick stuff. Surprisingly so. 4 inch by 12inc will do 3 fogs easily:yes:

Doing the other tomorrow...

Fly eyed the current ones on car easily enough!! pics of my front in this thread

so its easy to see what they look like compared to stock.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/162909-lakeside-meet-2/

Also I have a valid 10% discount code for Lamin X

PM me if any of you want it... I'm not posting it in a public forum. :no:

Edited by grr666

A photoshop edit to see how the Fabia would look with smoked headlights..

IMO it looks kind of cool..

is it legal? and does anybody know how it would be done

FABVRS.jpg?t=1276120346

What you can't see you can hit with lights blacked out.

Ask your car insurers for their views??

After a quick browse through http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm I can't see anything that would actually make reducing the light output of your headlights illegal as such, but the colour of the light evolved must be substantially white, so if the tints make the light show as any other colour they're potentially illegal and/or an MOT failure.

After a quick browse through http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm I can't see anything that would actually make reducing the light output of your headlights illegal as such, but the colour of the light evolved must be substantially white, so if the tints make the light show as any other colour they're potentially illegal and/or an MOT failure.

Yellow on fogs?

Fly eyes are a legal tinted film. Someone 's Organizing a group buy on another forum. PM me if you want the sites name.

I did 4 foglamps and 4 rear light clusters with the £10.99 piece.

It goes a long way if you cut it carefully to minimise waste.

I think it's great value already. :yes:

Also having removed it from 1 set of the fogs last night

I've got to say fly eyes is a breeze to remove cleanly.

Was expecting it to be a mission but it was very easy,

Having yellow lamin X on the fogs now as it's much more durable. :thumbup:

If you check my reference you'll see that fogs have their own separate sub-section.

Wasn't trying to dig you out Ken, just a general legality enquiry bearing in mind your post.

I was worried that I had spent money on yellow film when it's illegal...

Just had a butchers at the link though...

What an incredibly boring document!!

Its easy to see why there's so much uncertainty with this topic.

It's made overcomplicated by regulation.

Wasn't trying to dig you out Ken, just a general legality enquiry bearing in mind your post.

I was worried that I had spent money on yellow film when it's illegal...

Just had a butchers at the link though...

What an incredibly boring document!!

Its easy to see why there's so much uncertainty with this topic.

It's made overcomplicated by regulation.

I agree that it's boring, and unnecessarily over-formatted to the extent of making finding "where can I fit auxilliaries?" type answers hard. Hence why I got some retaliation in first by posting a link to the Road Vehicles Lighting regs. Well that and "I'm telling you that this is illegal because the law says it is" is a better answer imagewise, because it handles "you're boring because your tastes differ from mine" type responses.

Personally I think that "yellow lights work better in fog" is a snake oil claim but I don't care either way on taste beyond that I meet as much daytime for and snow as night-time, and in daytime the answer is to turn on every steady light you've got to increase how soon the idiot in the other vehicle can see you.

I agree that it's boring, and unnecessarily over-formatted to the extent of making finding "where can I fit auxilliaries?" type answers hard. Hence why I got some retaliation in first by posting a link to the Road Vehicles Lighting regs. Well that and "I'm telling you that this is illegal because the law says it is" is a better answer imagewise, because it handles "you're boring because your tastes differ from mine" type responses.

Personally I think that "yellow lights work better in fog" is a snake oil claim but I don't care either way on taste beyond that I meet as much daytime for and snow as night-time, and in daytime the answer is to turn on every steady light you've got to increase how soon the idiot in the other vehicle can see you.

I have some yellow driving glasses and they definitely make seeing at night easier.

I think they filter out the blue aspect of the ambient light and reduce glare generally from other lights.

I don't wear prescription glasses as my eyesight is fine but my night vision isn't what it was :no:

At the end of the day, light tinting films are usually removable so I think its okay to experiment (within the law of course...)

It's easy to take it off again if Mr Plod is giving you grief.

I get your general point though Ken but I'm not sure where you're coming from regarding the bit in italics above.

Edited by grr666

Edit: Thanks for the link - Sorry I misread earlier..

Under

SCHEDULE 4

(Regulations 18 and 20)

PART I

7. Colour: White or yellow

Is for dipped beams I believe.. and that says yellow OR white is ok. Same applies for main beam and I assume fogs too.

Just making sure as spending £30+ on something illegal is something I don't want to do :thumbup: please correct me if Im wrong or theres exemptions/clauses etc etc etc..

Edited by JLneonhug