Should I consider a Yeti SE 1.2TSi?

MonkeyTrousers

After reading through the posts, I thought I should post my questions as I am considering a Yeti SE 1.2 TSi but have difficulties getting to a dealership with my family.

I currently have a 2005 Honda Jazz and do about 6,000 miles a year but need a bit more space to fit 2 kids in booster seats plus occasionally a grandparent in the back and for other occasions, I just need a bit more boot-space for going camping with the kids (and wife). The Jazz is an excellent car as we live in a town but I need something more...

My questions:

1) Park Assist - this looks like a big selling point for us as my wife hates parallel parking. Can any of you less confident drivers tell me if this works as well as it appears on youtube? Note - this is a very attractive feature for my wife.

2) Do any of you try to fit 2 kids + an adult in the Yeti? What is it like for space?

3) Did any of you consider a Citroen C3 Picasso? What made you go for the Yeti instead?

4) What are the unique selling points that I should be telling my wife about?

Any opinions are gratefully received.

After reading through the posts, I thought I should post my questions as I am considering a Yeti SE 1.2 TSi but have difficulties getting to a dealership with my family.

I currently have a 2005 Honda Jazz and do about 6,000 miles a year but need a bit more space to fit 2 kids in booster seats plus occasionally a grandparent in the back and for other occasions, I just need a bit more boot-space for going camping with the kids (and wife). The Jazz is an excellent car as we live in a town but I need something more...

My questions:

1) Park Assist - this looks like a big selling point for us as my wife hates parallel parking. Can any of you less confident drivers tell me if this works as well as it appears on youtube? Note - this is a very attractive feature for my wife.

2) Do any of you try to fit 2 kids + an adult in the Yeti? What is it like for space?

3) Did any of you consider a Citroen C3 Picasso? What made you go for the Yeti instead?

Edited by jakebullet

Like you i have a young child and am upgrading from a 2 door sporty car to something more pratical, i looked and dozens of cars before i read about the YETI i had never heard of it before so started to do some research. I have not come across one bad review on the car so went for a test drive. That was it was sold on the car and ordered it there and there without any hesitation. I looked at all the small family people carriers and nothing matches the practicality and looks of the Yeti, some people will not even consider it because of the bagde and i had my doubts to but you only have to drive one to see how well they are put together and they drive great...

There is plenty of room in the back and with the felxi sitting there is more than enough room for thress adults in the back so two kids and an adult should be fine.... boot is noce and big and because the back is square you get loads of extra space above what the other people carriers becuase of the curved backs.. I ordere the 1.2 tse SE model and after waiting over three months have a delivery date of first 10 days in July.. Just read the posts about what people say about them thet are the best kept secret in the family car market, although the waiting time for delivery suggest that people are beginning to realise what a great car they are.

Having bought a 1.2 SE- equivalent (The Ambition here in France) I would unreservedly say the 1.2 Yeti will work for you. Last week, we had four adults plus an ISOfix baby-seat for several journeys. The 1.2 is remarkable and still pulled really well. Unless you drive competitively off from the lights all the time, you can expect to beat the given mixed fuel consumption.

We have no experience of Park Assist but, if we ordered a new one today, would specify that too, as one has to twist round a bit to see fully out the back, though, having said that, you can reverse it really easily using just the mirrors and the reversing sensors.

The quality of the fittings etc is very good and my VW-owning family take delight in pointing to switch-gear and equipment and saying "That's the same as in my Golf, Audi etc"

If I was ordering again, I would go for the Elegance spec, with the 1.2 engine, glass roof etc, though we prefer to use our TomTom for nav.

Hope you opt for the Yeti. We drove a few cars, including the Qashqai and the C4 and C3 Picassos were in the mix. We know we did the right thing. Recently, I asked my wife "If we wanted them to improve some aspect of the Yeti, or we could add some spec, what would it be?" We couldn't come up with anything - and that's why, any time you see one of these rare machines, the driver will be bowling along with a really stupid smug grin!

Go for it!

The SE has a very nice spec and I am sure you wouldn't want any extra kit.

1) Sorry, I have not experienced the Park Assist, but the Yeti is one of the easiest car to drive, it has a slammed back and is very short and easy to park.

2) You can definitely fit 2 kids and an adult in the back with no problems and you can move the two outside back seats forward to make more room for the boot. However, 3 adults may be a little tight, not impossible.

3) I didn't consider a C3 picasso, but to me it is a different car, I wanted an SUV but couldn't stretch to X3 etc, have had a look at the Qashqai, but the dash is a big let down and it also seems to sit lower. You might also want to consider the Mitsubishi ASX that just came out - it looks like a mini Q5 though.

4) There are quite a few. What drawn me to the Yeti is that:

a) It costs the same as a Golf but its much cooler (useful for a student)

B) It is cool, but extremely understated at the same time (being a Skoda)

c) It is well priced - cheaper than Qashqai

d) Its economical and the 1.2 feels like a 1.8, and has a low emission

e) It is extremely practical, all the back seats can be taken out to make it a van

f) It MIGHT hold it value very well, given the long waiting list

g) For me, like all Skoda products, it is a cut priced VW (Tiguan?)

One extra pointer, I sat in the back of the new Superb not so long ago and I am instantly impressed by the interior - my family own a new S-Class and I don't know how Skoda could price the Superb at 16k, it is worth much more than 16k, have a try, it might be an even better choice for you? (1.4 TSI)

There are 3 extreas that kitten and I would like to see in an 'improved Mk2' SM and they are....

1. Electric stop/start (kitten had that is her Yaris)

2/ Keyless entry (for the same reason)

3. Electric memory seats

Apart from that, you get a hell of a big 'BANG' for your bucks. :D

TOP point to Skoda for making such an AWESOME SM :rofl:

So all of you seem to be saying that the Yeti will work for us.

Re: the response about the C3 being a different kind of car... I appreciate this but it has much of the features I need (i.e. space efficiency like the Jazz)... but then I saw the Yeti and found about the Park Assist.

I have seen a few Superbs but they look too big for scooting about town. I would consider it but it wouldn;t suit my wife

Park Assist: Has anyone got any strong views?

So all of you seem to be saying that the Yeti will work for us.

Re: the response about the C3 being a different kind of car... I appreciate this but it has much of the features I need (i.e. space efficiency like the Jazz)... but then I saw the Yeti and found about the Park Assist.

I have seen a few Superbs but they look too big for scooting about town. I would consider it but it wouldn;t suit my wife

Park Assist: Has anyone got any strong views?

Hi and welcome,

you need to Personal Message (PM) to Ray_Green, he's our (SMOC) park assist expert :)

Regards,

TP

The Yeti 1.2 engine pulls well, almost diesel like in fact and I have now seen 40mpg on my drive to work despite my driving style. It is fun to drive with the suspension firm but not uncomfortably so and it is easy to drive round town and park. I dont think you will have much problem with luggage capacity either, my other half hasn't managed to fill the boot yet anyway. There should be enough room inside for the kids and 1 other, I have had 1 child in a booster seat (a britax with arms and folding cup holders on it) my 13 year old and his gran in the back with no problems but be aware there is a transmission tunnel down the middle of the rear cabin but there's still more room than a jazz.

I think the Yeti is definately worth considering, your best bet is to see one in the flesh as it doesn't seem as big as it looks in the pictures.

3) I did not consider the new C3 Picasso, however, some reasons for choosing a Yeti instead would include: Autocar have recently run a long term test on the C3 and complained about seat comfort issues and backache from the driver. It is a Citroen and so residual value may be weak (although this is relative to the deal you get in the first place). Road tests confirm that the C3 is a decent car, however, the dynamics (ride / handling) have come in for some criticism. Autocar are now running a Yeti 1.2 TSI as a long term test car and appear to like it a lot. The Yeti has also been praised for comfort, refinement and early reports suggest that it will hold its value well.

4) If your wife does not enjoy parking she will be impressed with how easy the Yeti is to manouvre. The bonnet is visible in front of you and, with such a square shape and good visibility, the extremities are very easy to judge. The 1.2 is economical unless you push it (I average about 42 mpg) and responsive when you need to get a move on. It is one of those rare cars that doesn't leave me feeling tired after a long journey. It is an extremely practical car combining the seat versatility of an MPV but without looking like a breed wagon. It should appeal to more people from a resale perspective because it offers something to people looking for an SUV and those who want an MPV.

I am beginning to waffle on now. The best way to find reasons to buy a Yeti is to read this forum. There are a few disgruntled members but by and large we are an extremely satisfied bunch which really says it all.

Good Morning,

We bought a 1.2TSI SE for the Wife and it's a brilliant car.

Before the Yeti my Wife had a Micra and was a little worried to moving up to a Golf sized car (parking isn't her thing :S ). Now we have the Yeti she actually finds it easier to park than the Micra and is happy to reverse into parking bays etc! The raised driving position is great and commented on by everyone. We regularly get 5 (full sized) adults in the Yeti without any complaints.

On a slightly less objective note - this is the first car my Wife's had that's not just 'the car' - e.g. the Yeti 'sleeps' in the garage. :smirk:

And I'll admit that my car is no longer the default choice when we go out - the Yeti really is that good!

greetings,

i used to own a Jazz - now have a 1.2 Yeti. I see the Yeti as a stetched Jazz (abit longer, abit wider, abit taller) and with more oomph! It also has the same flexibility with doing various things to the way the rear setas are set up. I think you would find the Yeti similar in respects.

1 Park Assist - hardly ever use it, but got it to have ESP and front sensors (which are part of the park assit option)

2 No problems fitting in 2 kids and 2 adults. If you have a spare wheel (as opposed to a tyre repair kit) you may find yourself having to pack carefully, the boot isn't that much bigger than a Jazz. I found the Jazz had excellent boot space for a smallish car - I think this could be your deciding factor, particularly if you do alot of camping.

3 Would never consider a citroen, have known too many people have problems with them.

4 unique selling points - looks good in real life, great visibility, quite abit more oomph than a 1.4 Jazz but only a few miles less to the gallon (i get around 40 mpg which is mainly urban driving), you don't see many of them on the road either which makes them a little bit unique (at the moment!)

Edited by harriemeeh

After reading the comments over the past couple of days, I took my wife along to have a look at the Yeti.

Her reaction was that the car seemed very big and maybe I had given her the impession that it would be little bigger than the Honda Jazz. I think the her response to the size was mainly due to the greater height of the Yeti... it seems intimidating to a 5ft 1 inch driver who has only ever driven pretty small cars. She also reckoned that we would have to increase the width of our gate at our house to fit a Yeti in, even though the gate is about 3 feet wider than our current car. Over the last couple of hours, she has realised this probably isn't required.

My reaction is that it still looks like a well built attractive car. The first Yeti had the spare wheel in the boot and therefore it seemed to be much smaller than our Jazz's boot. Without the spare wheel, the boot seems pretty similar to the Honda's. The key thing is that the boot is much higher, closer to waist height whereas the Jazz's lower stance has its boot at a lower level. I think the similarity in boot size shows how cleverly designed the Jazz is.

(I had a look at a Superb and was amazed by its boot space... you could almost lie down in there. Those cars look like total bargains.)

I think we are going to have to think a lot more about this as I still have doubts.

Her reaction was that the car seemed very big and maybe I had given her the impession that it would be little bigger than the Honda Jazz. I think the her response to the size was mainly due to the greater height of the Yeti... it seems intimidating to a 5ft 1 inch driver who has only ever driven pretty small cars. She also reckoned that we would have to increase the width of our gate at our house to fit a Yeti in, even though the gate is about 3 feet wider than our current car. Over the last couple of hours, she has realised this probably isn't require

The Yeti looks bigger than it is, the footprint (no pun intended) is actually smaller than the current Focus and it's only 2.5cm longer than a Golf.

Did you test drive it?

The Yeti looks bigger than it is, the footprint (no pun intended) is actually smaller than the current Focus and it's only 2.5cm longer than a Golf.

Did you test drive it?

...and shorter than a Fabia Estate.

tom

we didn't have a test drive as the kids were getting all excited trying to hug the toy yeti in the passenger seat and clamber over the seats, so after 10 minutes browsing, we did a runner to find a couple of naughty steps.

I think my wife associates a larger looking car with a difficult to drive car and is used to having a simple, small, small-engined car.

we are still discussing this... and she is reading your responses with interest.

we didn't have a test drive as the kids were getting all excited trying to hug the toy yeti in the passenger seat and clamber over the seats, so after 10 minutes browsing, we did a runner to find a couple of naughty steps.

I think my wife associates a larger looking car with a difficult to drive car and is used to having a simple, small, small-engined car.

we are still discussing this... and she is reading your responses with interest.

if its any help for your wife the management in my house said it was a very big car so i pointed out that it was only 200mm longer and 75mm wider than her mg zr so after 2 test drives we ordered one.

she can now reverse the yeti out of the drive witch she never even attempted with the mg and she loves driving it higher driving position good mirrors and rear sensors. better to drive than all the new cars we have owned (mini Peugeot 106 206 mg zr ) she hates big cars but was at home in the yeti from day one.

good luck with you decision