Air con temp

Hi all

My air con ever since i've had the car (just over a year) has blown only standard air (Auto and ECON modes). So after a little reseach i took it to Kwikfit. First time to them and only went there as even a monkey could operate the re-gas machine. After 45min or so the Aircon remp was 19 degrees at best. The ECON temp was 30 degrees. I may well be wrong here, at the temp set to LOW the temp should reach much lower. The Kwikfit guy siad "its 10% colder than the standard blowing air so it worked"..... That just sounds like BS.

He advised me to bring the car in again so they could have another attempt. He hast charged me yet however he said there is no way the temp will go any lower. So whats everyone elses view on this? He mention it was to do with the outside temp. Again i reckon this is BS.

Print out details

Recovered:

00.385kg

Recovered oil:

0003ml

Vacuum time:

15min

Leak test:

No leak detected

Charged:

00.600kg

Oil charged:

0015ml

Well i shiver in mine at lowest setting , when it is really hot <over 25 >, i have it at 16.5 as the difference in temp is too extreme when you get out. Trust them for tyres and exhausts , take it to an air con service centre .

Edited by bluvrs2

Well i shiver in mine at lowest setting , when it is really hot <over 25 >, i have it at 16.5 as the difference in temp is too extreme when you get out. Trust them for tyres and exhausts , take it to an air con service centre .

Interestingly they inspected my wheels, brakes and exhaust! I just told them thanks for the report as it will come in handy else where :giggle:

Skoda wanted to charge £99, is that worth it? They get it done by a third party and possibly same machinary

Edited by m_zafar

I had mine regassed at Skoda dealer for a little less than that during a major service. It was not much cooler after regas but it is definitly cold. If i set it to 18 degress on auto mode and point the vents onto my face I have to turn the temp back up to about 20 - 21 after about 10 mins because its too cold. If the vents are not pointing at me though you dont really notice it doing anything.

Had my aircon on during the last few days of this searing heat and being over 3yrs old it still punches out ice cold air.........i'm thinking let sleeping dogs lie and maybe wait till i notice a drop in coldness before i have it regassed.

Mine was regassed last year by KwikFit.

I used them as the service was a bargain (iirc < £50) and due to the automatic machine they use foolproof, however I had to show the 'technician' where the connections were :wonder:

On a hot day and set to low I wouldn't say it is ice cold but it is comfortable inside the car (we all have different tolerances to cold though), plus my car is black with a black interior so in essence a great big heat sink :smirk:

I've read elsewhere that the B5 / B5.5 platform is not known for its super ice cold Climatronic like some other marques.

Running the diagnostics on the Climatronic (press Econ, colder [blue] and the fan speed lower buttons at the same time you'll get into the 'measuring blocks' of the Climatronic), channel 40 details the evaporator temp. Easier to keep an eye on whilst driving than having VAGCOM set up with a laptop on the passenger seat.

From what I've read elsewhere you're aiming for an evaporator temp of approx 3 degrees C after approx half an hour of running - mine gets down to 2.7.

The reference document I used can be found here :

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Climatronic_Self_Diagnostics.pdf

VAG-COM reports a centre vent temp of 5 degrees, my recirc flap and all other flaps are working, so as far as my Superb goes I don't think I can get it any lower.

Edited by Cledwen

I had mine done the other week as mine was not coming out cold unless I turned the fan down to the slowest speed.

I had it checked (slightly low on gas) but no leaks could be found. So it was emptied and regassed. Once done the air came out the vents at 3 deg C (and that was on a hot day).

Still icy cold and like a comment above I now have to turn the heating up!

If you put your area up maybe someone can recommend somehwere close to you.

I've never found the Air-con hugely efficient. Yes it's cold, but not the icy blast you get from other cars. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the increased air volume inside the car? With the stretched passenger cabin over the standard Passat, I bet the air volume inside the car is about 30% greater.

Hi all

My air con ever since i've had the car (just over a year) has blown only standard air (Auto and ECON modes). So after a little reseach i took it to Kwikfit. First time to them and only went there as even a monkey could operate the re-gas machine. After 45min or so the Aircon remp was 19 degrees at best. The ECON temp was 30 degrees. I may well be wrong here, at the temp set to LOW the temp should reach much lower. The Kwikfit guy siad "its 10% colder than the standard blowing air so it worked"..... That just sounds like BS.

He advised me to bring the car in again so they could have another attempt. He hast charged me yet however he said there is no way the temp will go any lower. So whats everyone elses view on this? He mention it was to do with the outside temp. Again i reckon this is BS.

Print out details

Recovered:

00.385kg

Recovered oil:

0003ml

Vacuum time:

15min

Leak test:

No leak detected

Charged:

00.600kg

Oil charged:

0015ml

sounds like you air con fan is knackered to check -- switch on to econ (aircon off) then switch to auto (aircon on) the fan outside under the bonnet on the left as you look under the bonnet on the cooling radiator this fan should be running at very high speed it should be noisy if it is not running or running slow then this is your problem this is a common problem on this car (if it is running slow or not at all his the motor a few times straight down with a long bar and it may come on BUT BE CAREFUL DON'T HIT THE BLADES OR THE RADIATOR) this fan can be got second hand as any passat from 05 on has the same fan its not a very difficult job to replace just takes time and patience to replace