Canon 450D + 18-55 standard lens + Canon 75-300 non USM - £549 at Jessops

Brimma

The 450D has now been replaced with the 18mp 550D. I have no idea if that's a good deal especially with that extra lens.

Edited by Jim H

The 450D has now been replaced with the 18mp 550D. I have no idea if that's a good deal especially with that extra lens.

I'd like to say that was really useful Jim.........

...........but I can't :S

I'd like to say that was really useful Jim.........

...........but I can't :S

I've just realised what I said was a bit pointless, wasn't it..

I guess this is what you are on about. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77408/show.html

If you were to buy the lenses only, from Jessops they would cost £378. 18-55mm is £169 and the 75-300 is £209.

Edited by Jim H

Does look at good deal, have you considered going for one of the Canon Professional Series s/h?

You might think Im bonkers(yep) but if you could get your hands on an Eos 1ds or 1MK2D body you'd be seriously better off!

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4150cd11c4

For a few dollars moreemoticon-0100-smile.gif

Edited by swordstoke

The 550 is awesome, but so expensive. 450 is a better proposition than the 500.

Cheers Nick - I think I'm settled on the 450D body - just a question of the lens combination :thumbup:

As you say 550D body is £220 dearer than the 450D

Edited by Brimma

Hi,

The 450D is a great camera, I started with one and continue to use it as a backup. I'm now onto a 50D (which will soon be a 7D as i'm into sports photography) with a selection of 'L' series lenses.

I have two questions for you: How much do you know about SLR photography and what the intended use of the camea is?

Those lenses fit into the 'ok' group as far as i'm concerned i've taken some pretty good shots with the 18-55 IS, but never played with the with the non USM 75-300. The only thing I will say about it being a non USM lens is that the focus may be a tad slow - the USM refers to the motor that controls the auto focus, lenses equipped with this are deadly fast focus'ers.

IS is a great invention, and really comes into its own on the longer lenses and in lower light, and has its uses on the smaller lenses too - the whole subject cannot be covered here - you might consider the EFS 55-250is lenses as an option to the one offered though

A site i'm a member of is here Photography on the Net be warned though: reading this will potentially get you involved in a hobby, and make you spend a lot of money......bit like here really:) - but it is really helpful. Check out the lens archives for sample pictures using those lenses.

Need any more pointers get in contact..

Phil

Move to the dark side like me and John. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You do know if you get a Canon he'll have something else to have a go at you about at the East Midlands meets. :giggle:

Cheers

Dave.

Hi,

The 450D is a great camera, I started with one and continue to use it as a backup. I'm now onto a 50D (which will soon be a 7D as i'm into sports photography) with a selection of 'L' series lenses.

I have two questions for you: How much do you know about SLR photography and what the intended use of the camea is?

Those lenses fit into the 'ok' group as far as i'm concerned i've taken some pretty good shots with the 18-55 IS, but never played with the with the non USM 75-300. The only thing I will say about it being a non USM lens is that the focus may be a tad slow - the USM refers to the motor that controls the auto focus, lenses equipped with this are deadly fast focus'ers.

IS is a great invention, and really comes into its own on the longer lenses and in lower light, and has its uses on the smaller lenses too - the whole subject cannot be covered here - you might consider the EFS 55-250is lenses as an option to the one offered though

A site i'm a member of is here Photography on the Net be warned though: reading this will potentially get you involved in a hobby, and make you spend a lot of money......bit like here really:) - but it is really helpful. Check out the lens archives for sample pictures using those lenses.

Need any more pointers get in contact..

Phil

Thanks for that

I know enough about SLR's to be able to adjust various aperture/shutter speed options to suit requirements

Camera will be be used for all ranges of subjects - stills, sport, nature.....etc etc

Had just about decided to go for the 18-55 IS as a standard lens, and the 55-250 IS as a reasonable zoom - current funds won't stretch to a top quality wide aperture zoom, but that might be an option for the future

I bought a kit with a 1000D 18-55IS and 75-300 non IS and in NZ it cost about that much.

After 3 months I sold the 75-300 and bought a 55-250IS. I just couldn't get a decent image with that lens in anything but full sunlight and beyond about 3/4 zoom it just wasn't working for me. Maybe I have shaky hands?

The 55-250 is much better IMHO.

Howdy,

A really handy site:

Lenses for Hire A Really nice guy runs it, and the service provided is second to none. I rented a 70-200 F2.8L from here and week later ended up buying one....so be warned :)

The 70-200 is now the workhorse of my collection combined with a 1.4x converter.

Phil

Howdy,

Yep them 1200's are scary beasts lol..

You know that Paul Hogan film where he utters those immortal words "that's not a knife..This is a knife..."

Here's the photography equivalent:

The Sig-Monster

Those Canon 1200's come up now and again on E-Bay etc...but the Sig is avaliable for a reasonable 14-15 grand new...lol

Oh, and sorry for the thread hi-jack.... :) normal service resumed soon...

Phil