Another Teves Mk60 ABS/ESP unit failure

ECUtesting in Nottingham can fix the fault for £350 and it prevents the fault from ever reoccurring.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2010-03/teves-mk-60-abs-module

http://www.ecutesting.com/vw_golf_touran_abs_pump_module.html

Has anyone informed SUK that this unit can be repaired for £350???

I have to say I am surprised that nobody has taken a supplying dealer to court as that should be fixed FOC.

This part something that should last the life of the car (at least 6 years) and failure before this is something that would see me in court with the dealer.

If you bought the car second hand from a second hand car dealer, is it the original supplying Skoda dealer you take to court, or the second hand car dealer?

Or if you bought the car second hand does that mean you have no case?

Edited by Bogwoppit

If you bought the car second hand from a second hand car dealer, is it the original supplying Skoda dealer you take to court, or the second hand car dealer?

Or if you bought the car second hand does that mean you have no case?

You have a contract with the person that sold you the car (unless it's a private sale, then it's different).

Since you don't have a contract with the skoda dealer, I don't think you can sue them for your loss.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Just made a worrying discovery....... My ABS ECU failed late last year, replaced under warranty thankfully.

Old part (from an old scan log): 1K0 907 379 K

Replaced with (from a new scan log): 1K0 907 379 K

Not a good feeling for the future of the new ABS ECU. :no:

• 3 weeks later...

An update

The owner of the car referred to the first post (2006 Octy Sport) has now been offered a 40% goodwill contribution by Skoda UK after being asked to take it into the dealer for further diagnostic checks. The dealer has not offered anything, which is fair enough as he didn't buy the car from them and its the first time he's had the car serviced there.

He has rejected this offer as while the car is 1 year out of warranty it has only done 28,000 miles from new and has full main dealer service history, and is awaiting a further response from SUK.

Removal of the ABS/ESP hydraulic unit is hardly a major job.

There is an electrical connector to unplug and the six hydraulic lines. The brake pedal should also be be kept depressed (eg using a pedal prop) whilst doing this.

The complete remove and install (with bleeding) shouldn't take more than about 1.5h labour.

You will probably need VCDS to do basic settings on the new G201.

Any VAG independent worth his salt should be able to do this with ease.

Dealer quoted £170 for this work on my colleague's car - sounds like 2hrs labour. I've suggested he gets a quote from a local VAG independent.

Edited by Mercurio

• 1 month later...

A further update.

The owner as per the OP eventually managed to get Skoda UK to up their offer of a goodwill contribution to 50%, but that would have still left him with a bill for £750, so he ended up getting a local independent to take the unit off the car and send it to ECU Testing for repair.

His car was off the road for ten days and the final bill from ECU Testing was £584 - much more than the £350 quoted on their website for this job on the supposedly similar VW Golf unit. Some story about the Skoda unit having other parts attached and requiring more labour to dismantle.

His final bill including removal and refitting of the unit was over £700, so he ended up spending almost as much as if he had taken the Skoda goodwill offer and was without his car for 10 days to boot. The only consolation is that he has a two year warrantly from ECU Testing on the repaired unit compared with 12 months on a replacement unit from Skoda.

He is one very unhappy Skoda driver.

I got the Teves Mk 60 on my five year old Volvo replaced F.O.C. by Volvo recently. I have owned it since new and it has got FVSH though.

Considering Skoda's reputation for happy customers it seems strange that they aren't doing the same kind of gesture.

Edited by juan27