DRL Fitted & Working & Tutorial

Good Mod or Carp Mod  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are the DRL's Good or Carp (Please give a reason if you vote)

I have started a new thread as this one will be kind of a Tutorial on how to wire it all up.

Before i start the usual Disclaimer:

NEITHER I NOR BRISKODA WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DECIDE TO FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK

What i will say is im not "enitirely happy with the look. It's better than i expected however i am now on the hunt for some larger LED's as i still think these are too small compared to OEM.

The LED's don't necessarily have to be larger it is more the Magnification of them.

Anyway here goes. For those who want to see the earlier thread on the DRL's it's here Project Blue Bullet DRL

First thing to do is ensure you have the correct tools

You will need

Crimper

Male & Female Blade connectors (5 of each)

In line fuse holder

Stanley Knife or Very Sharp Knife

Electrical Tape

Heat Shrink

Cable Ties

2 x 2m Lengths of Single Core Electric Cable.

1 x 30cm length of Single Core Electric Cable

1 x 3 Amp Blade Fuse

First of all you need to Join both positive wires together and both negative wires together. Once this is done join the Joined wires to one of the 2m lengths of Electric Cable using spade connectors. Do the same for both wires

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Once done then place Heatshrink over the top (don't cover the actual spades) shrink that on using a Hairdryer and then seal the whole lot using Electrical Tape. You end up with this.

IMG_0063.jpg

Do the same for the other wire.

Next is to connect the in-line fuse holder.

Firstly connect a Female spade to the end of the positive wire. Then connect that to the in line fuse holder. Once done using the 30cm Strip of wire connect a Female spade to that using the same methods as previous and then connect that to the in-line fuse holder. No requirement for a fuse just yet.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Now for fitting. Check all is working first as you don't want to do a load of hard work to find it doesn't work or you haven't got a switched live. For some reason even though i thought i had found a switched live, if i didn't actually start the car then it all worked fine. After driving the car the DRL's would remain on no matter what i did. So i have now tapped into the live cable on the High Pressure Sensor of the Aircon and all works fine.

Working

IMG_0075.jpg

Not Working (as they shouldn't when the ignition is off)

IMG_0074.jpg

Next Job is to run the wire around the Engine bay so that it won't interfere with anything. i chose to run along the front Cross member where the bonnet catch sits. Then i ran it down to behind the fog light on either side. I then cable tied and the wire into position

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Now comes the hard bit. Due to the shape of the DRL's (something i never considered) they wont just slot back in place. You need to cut a hole like the one you can see below in the bumper plastic. Don't worry about the lower grille holding clasp the edge of the outer parts will hold it in place anyway. Do the same both sides

IMG_0082.jpg

Once done fit the DRL grilles back in place

IMG_0084.jpg

Then Voila all done.

These two pics show what they look like to other road users and if i was coming towards someone head on. As you can see they are nowhere near as bright as OEM but still bright enough to attract attention (which is what they are designed to do)

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Nice write up Carl :thumbup:,

Can i ask what was the reason for joining the two wires to a short length of single wire? would it not of been better to just continue the length of the two wires thus removing an additional 3 joints (and possible future points of failure/corrosion)

I'm jealous...........................................................

..................................................your car fits in your garage!

Edited by Pagey1255

Nice write up Carl :thumbup:,

Can i ask what was the reason for joining the two wires to a short length of single wire? would it not of been better to just continue the length of the two wires thus removing an additional 3 joints (and possible future points of failure/corrosion)

The supplied wire isn't long enough to reach the Battery/Fuse box area from the Drivers side. Thats the only reason.

Carl, what ampage is the cable you used and which fuse slot did you go for in the end?

Erm read the tutorial :dull:

I used the live feed from the High Pressure Sensor on the Aircon as that was the only switched live i could find.

The cable i used was from a twin flex cable. I just split it and separated the 2 cores. I have a fair bit more of it if you need ;)

Oh you know it will take about a week or so to get yours. iirc they come from Lithuania

Erm read the tutorial :dull:

I used the live feed from the High Pressure Sensor on the Aircon as that was the only switched live i could find.

The cable i used was from a twin flex cable. I just split it and separated the 2 cores. I have a fair bit more of it if you need ;)

Oh you know it will take about a week or so to get yours. iirc they come from Lithuania

Read it start to finish, I must be blind because I still can't see the amp rating for the cable! :doh:

Where is the high pressure sensor located?

I've just ordered 5m 12.75amp single core and 3.2mm heat shrink from the e of the bay!

Spoke to the fella y'day about the lights, bloody good engish for a Litho', it does say item location Berlin, but hey ho!

Read it start to finish, I must be blind because I still can't see the amp rating for the cable! :doh:

Where is the high pressure sensor located?

I've just ordered 5m 12.75amp single core and 3.2mm heat shrink from the e of the bay!

Spoke to the fella y'day about the lights, bloody good engish for a Litho', it does say item location Berlin, but hey ho!

Don't know what amp rating the cable was. More than 3A anyway and i used a 3A fuse so that will blow before the cable will. It was normal electric cable (the sort you get for Kettle's & Stereo's) so it will have at least a 5A rating

Yeah i see he is in Berlin but the post details on the box for mine said lithuania :thumbup:

I'm on the hunt now for some different DRL's so that they either have bigger LED's or bigger magnification :thumbup:

Oh an give me a shout when you want to do it. It will be a lot easier with 2 people :yes:

Edited by vRSCarl

Don't know what amp rating the cable was. More than 3A anyway and i used a 3A fuse so that will blow before the cable will. It was normal electric cable (the sort you get for Kettle's & Stereo's) so it will have at least a 5A rating

Yeah i see he is in Berlin but the post details on the box for mine said lithuania :thumbup:

I'm on the hunt now for some different DRL's so that they either have bigger LED's or bigger magnification :thumbup:

Oh an give me a shout when you want to do it. It will be a lot easier with 2 people :yes:

Ok mate thanks for that, I will defo be in touch just running between the garage and the computer spraying the plastic primer on the grille inserts. :thumbup:

Sorry to ask again, but about the live feed, is that plugged into the fuse box? and negative goes to - terminal on the battery?

Had to say Crap, but its not that i dont like how they look, they actually look well and i was thinking of doing it myself, but from the pictures i cant see any difference in being on and off

maybe need to be brighter? :wonder: :wonder:

Had to say Crap, but its not that i dont like how they look, they actually look well and i was thinking of doing it myself, but from the pictures i cant see any difference in being on and off

I don't think its the lights, more likely the pikey photographer...... :giggle:

I agree they need to be brighter aswell.

Does this Help?

Not Working

f31730d5.jpg

Working

65e2207b.jpg

I don't think its the lights, more likely the pikey photographer...... :giggle:

Do you mind. They were taken with a PIEPHONE 4 the greatest and bestest phone in the whole universe :rofl: :rofl:

Do you mind. They were taken with a PIEPHONE 4 the greatest and bestest phone in the whole universe :rofl: :rofl:

You forgot pointless!! :giggle:

Seriously, I think they probably look better in reality, at least I bloody hope so, otherwise I've just wasted 40 quid. :thumbdown:

Dealer (Gordon Lamb, Chesterfield) knew what they were doing. Even gave me some options for different set ups.

I have had a few flashes and a colleague complained I dazzled him.