Coilover Problems!

Right folks, after much umming and ahhing, I plumped for a set of AP coilovers. Having pushed aside the comments about them knocking I thought it could be an easy fix - top mount etc

I need to know who has AP, Weitec and KW coilovers and who has problems with them as AP think i'm the only one, which i'm not!

I also need a measurement from the middle of the centre cap to the wheel arch to let them know the height problems start. TUV cover stops as soon as you go lower than 325mm.

Any Q's ask away! :)

Lets hope we can get them recalled or a part offered to fix them!

Ad Lav: AP Coilovers, fitted for 5 weeks, knocking at 320mm from centre cap - wheels arch. Raised 20mm - knocking at approx 335mm from centre cap - wheel arch.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Weitec Hicon GT - Fitted for 2 days - knocking at ???? (will fill this in when i get time to mesure)

but i am relectant to put mine in yet as i wanna change the drop links........

Also if they do recall them who will have to pay to get them removed from the car?

Other members I know of with AP coilovers are...

Lummox

veekar

ultra_joel88

You have a PM en route!

devonutopia - you have KW's yes? Any chance of a pic of the spring etc please? :)

just got an email from the direct .........

you explained your set up ant then said there was noise u will still need to raise the rear because at the moment it is running to low and you are not covered by your warranty if your run it that low try and rais the front a little bit and see if this helps

funny people

I've got KW V1's with the spring platforms removed at the rear and front dropped to suit. No knocking that i know of?

Kev

Removed the rear platforms?

Can you hear anything over the engine in yours? :giggle: and do you do less than 30? :giggle:

Edited by vRSsunroof

Hmm... maybe KW's don't make the noise!

Mine is within the TUV lowering safety whatsit and still makes a horrible noise, its almost at factory height again lol

Edited by Ad Lav

weitec - fitted about 2mths ago - no measurement at the moment,[all the way on the rear and just over half way down on the fronts] but slight knocking at low speeds mainly in 1st or 2nd gear?? anyone similar?? i also replaced both top mounts / fitted smaller arb links just to be sure emoticon-0148-yes.gif

mark emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Metallic clunk - its not the Anti Roll bar as looked at this and had it on a jogger at an MOT station. Its like the spring is loose and wobbles about - thinking top mount problem but mine are only a year old.

It's not just AP/Weitec that make a clunk or any sorta knocking noises

I have TA Technix coilies and mines has been making the noise since the day they were fitted. No measurements but they are at the very lowest setting so probably outwith my "warrantied" height but it doesn't bother me tbh. Had them fitted in December, have covered around 14k since they were fitted and i've grown kinda used to it. End of the day i paid £150 for the coilies brand new off a friend who was selling them and me and my mate fitted them. So in my eyes i bought i cheap i put up with cheap noises etc

But for you guys who have paid more for yours i do sympathise and wish you's all the best with you're complaint and if a solution gets found please let me know :)

lol :)

Thing is we bought AP/Weitec as they are made by KW who are one of the best coilover/suspension producers on the market - you'd think that lesser models would be just as good!

Think of it like this - buying an Audi, instead you buy a Skoda or Seat! Same bits, different name!

Yeh it is a weird predicament mate, i know full well of KW as when i had fords it was always KW that was the supported brand. Ford even recognise how good KW are and accept them under warranty as authorised parts. And they are available through Mountune/Roush

But like i said goodluck and if you's find a solution let me know :)

I have weitecs and only problem i have is that i think my rear shock has gone after about 4 months. The wheel bounces i've been told, guessing the shock is gone?

I have an attempt at an answer of why they don't supply a 'Helper Spring'

Because it is a form spring..................? A what?

Google image - Formspring

84381_R.jpg

Nope not on my car

form-spring_250x250.jpg

None of them ither?!

unless a techie would like to elaborate what he means by a Form Spring.......

I have an attempt at an answer of why they don't supply a 'Helper Spring'

Because it is a form spring..................? A what?

Google image - Formspring

84381_R.jpg

Nope not on my car

form-spring_250x250.jpg

None of them ither?!

unless a techie would like to elaborate what he means by a Form Spring.......

The helper spring is supposed to make the ride more comfortable. If i remove it it'll allow me to make full use of the threaded part of the shock as my coil overs can go 110mm