DPF Light came on

My DPF light came on last week! I had spent a week pottering around Stoke on Trent whilst on holiday then travelled towards home at a respectable 80 ish until the M25, then got stuck on that for 2 hours stop start from the M11 to the Dartford Crossing. As I got to the Toll booths the DPF light came on!

So I did what the manual says, over 2500 revs for about 20 miles needing 4th gear rather than 5th and it cleared and has not reappeared since.

Car is 1 year old Greenline on 20k miles - still waiting for the first service, 4500 miles to go according to the computer.

Anyone else experienced this yet?

I actively tried to get the DPF light to come on a MKI Superb TDi but couldn't get it to come on no matter how I drove it.

I have heard of people having it come on, you did the correct thing and followed the handbook and cleared the DPF.

If you keep doing the same driving as you have been you will probably find it will happen every 20k or so.

I actively tried to get the DPF light to come on a MKI Superb TDi but couldn't get it to come on no matter how I drove it.

I have heard of people having it come on, you did the correct thing and followed the handbook and cleared the DPF.

If you keep doing the same driving as you have been you will probably find it will happen every 20k or so.

Thanks James, one thing I'm not clear on, is the DPF on the Greenline one which periodically needs a fluid top up? I've read elswhere on this forum (Octavia) that some people have topped theirs up?

Regards

Steve

James,

How was your driving pattern? Did you keep the MKI Superb TDI running in low rev below 2,500 rpm constantly so as to get the DPF light to come on?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks James, one thing I'm not clear on, is the DPF on the Greenline one which periodically needs a fluid top up? I've read elswhere on this forum (Octavia) that some people have topped theirs up?

Regards

Steve

None of the DPFs fitted to the mk2 Superb require any kind of fluid topup, since there is no fluid to topup. Only the MK1 Superb had fluid and that was only on the 2.0TDI 140.

Rosesteve, is your Greenline PD or common-rail? (Sorry, showing my ignorance of the product here!) I've read that CR diesels have fewer problems with the DPF than PDs do.

My CR Octavia vRS has had no problems in 15,000 miles - occasionally after a lot of short runs the idling speed goes up to 1,000 rpm which I think is a sign of the DPF regenerating. I can't remember without going to look, but I think it even says this in the handbook.

That is not a holiday emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Wegs, did you shift the Passat in the end, I got one eventually, lovely car, lovely car in the same way sex with a topless model with crabs is emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Na seriously, it's a nice motor, just a bit miffed at it's hunger for oil right now.

Dpf filters are a common problem with most car companies, I am a mechanic to trade, worked for nissan untill last month, the soot created by a diesel is collected in the dpf and then burnt off when the following are met,

engine is at normal operating temperature

exhaust gases are travelling fast enough (rpm)

constant rpm,

basically to burn off the soot, the engine injects too much fuel causing the exhaust temp to rise, this in turn burns off the soot, however should you accelerate or deccelerate this process stops, as for acceleration you may require full power say to avoid collision etc, should the vehicle not produce this then skoda would be liable, so to burn it correctly you need to stick to a set speed at around 3k rpm, motorway driving, a few days around town starting and stopping then problems occur, im looking to buy a diesel but dreading the dpf.

Dpf filters are a common problem with most car companies, I am a mechanic to trade, worked for nissan untill last month, the soot created by a diesel is collected in the dpf and then burnt off when the following are met,

engine is at normal operating temperature

exhaust gases are travelling fast enough (rpm)

constant rpm,

basically to burn off the soot, the engine injects too much fuel causing the exhaust temp to rise, this in turn burns off the soot, however should you accelerate or deccelerate this process stops, as for acceleration you may require full power say to avoid collision etc, should the vehicle not produce this then skoda would be liable, so to burn it correctly you need to stick to a set speed at around 3k rpm, motorway driving, a few days around town starting and stopping then problems occur, im looking to buy a diesel but dreading the dpf.

Takes more than a few days pottering , i did less than 6000 miles in my Superb in the first 9 months as i only ever do short trips pottering around town , never had any problems with the DPF , I started using our Octy VRS and gave the wife the Superb and again even with a 60,000 mile PD engine I've not had any problems with town use or short trip use , in fact ive never even had the light come on in either car. Loads of horrors stories about dpf i really dont think they are as troublesome as many people think

Takes more than a few days pottering , i did less than 6000 miles in my Superb in the first 9 months as i only ever do short trips pottering around town , never had any problems with the DPF , I started using our Octy VRS and gave the wife the Superb and again even with a 60,000 mile PD engine I've not had any problems with town use or short trip use , in fact ive never even had the light come on in either car. Loads of horrors stories about dpf i really dont think they are as troublesome as many people think

have to disagree, it is very common, from the workshop point of view, it normally occurs 30k upwards but ive seen it happening within 2000 miles before, alot of it is to do with cheap diesel,

Well what can I say I can only share my experience of two cars with DPF, I only usually do short runs and I've not had a single problem so i would suggest the problem is not caused by short trips alone . I dont however use cheap fuel and occasionally add millers treatment as well but thats only relatively recently

My dads Fabia greenline is only used for short trips and does abou 5K miles per year, he has owned the car for 1 year now and never seen the DPF light yet. I use my Superb daily, and currently between Tuesday and Friday I am driving it less than 2 miles a day, at a speed less than 30mph. To get here at the start of the week the superb is driven 144 miles at motorway speed ( less than 2k revs) and spends a little under 2hrs in heavy traffic doing around 5 to 10mph,on the M25 going back the other way (M3 to M1 junction) and I have not seen the DPF light on my Superb either, despite having this driving routine since the end of April.

Hi,

Superb GreenLine 1.9 TDI PD DPF

Done 20 000 Miles none light has been on the dash about DPF problems.

I don’t know how other cars “CR” but on my car I can see when DPF starts.

1. Engine starts reducing the power (It is noticeable let say about 20-40 % on acceleration power)

2. The computer on MDF display (I have simple one) show gear to change to lower.

3. What does it mean gears to lower EXAMPLE - So if I drive 3 gear 30 miles/ hour lets say it will be 1500 RPM so Computer show to change me to second gear. OR SIMPLE INCREASING RPM TO AT LEAST 2000 and computer stop showing to change it is stay on 3 gear

4. Then It is takes me about 6-10 minutes (or 10 miles or les) to drive

5. Before regeneration finishing I can feel when the engine starts works again on full power and drives smooth

6. And after that couple minutes the MDF display on 2000 RPM show to change the gear UP so I THEN I KNOW THAT THE DPF REGENERATION PROCES COMPLETED

7. IN ALL THESE 10 MINUTES OF REGENERATION IM LITTLE HELPING THE ENGINE TO CLEAN MORE BETTER

a. Driving same speed as possible

b. Not accelerating

c. Trying to reach 2000-2500 RPM and keep constant

d. If it is in the town (it happened couple time) so turn some where else to drive at least more constant . “same way but less traffic way”

e. Or if in the town put second gear and drive slowly but revs 2000-2500 RPM “I know it is difficult as someone can think what are you doing on 20 miles / per hour speed driving”

THIS IS MY CAR SO DOING EVERYTHING TO MAKE BETTER

AS CAN IGNORE DPF REGENERATION AND DRIVE ON THE SPEED ACSELERATE AND ETC

BUT HOW LONG IT IS WILL BE BEFORE DPF FAILS

I've just had some problems with the DPF on my 170TDI Elegance Superb.

In my case, I had a repeat of a fault that I also saw with my 170PD Octavia vRS.

We do a LOT of round town driving, which isn't an ideal situation for the DPF. Despite this, the car seems to cope remarkably well, and I've never had any issues with the actual filter itself. However, I have now had the exhaust gas pressure sensor fail twice due to fouling from exhaust deposits. When this happens, the car goes into limp home mode as soon as you start it.

It's a simple fix, but DPF damage can result if it's not done quickly.

Bagpuss.

• 1 month later...

In my case, I had a repeat of a fault that I also saw with my 170PD Octavia vRS.

We do a LOT of round town driving, which isn't an ideal situation for the DPF. Despite this, the car seems to cope remarkably well, and I've never had any issues with the actual filter itself. However, I have now had the exhaust gas pressure sensor fail twice due to fouling from exhaust deposits. When this happens, the car goes into limp home mode as soon as you start it.

Bagpuss.

I had similar problem ,,, apparantly the 170bhp cr engine has a fault my dealer fitted new valve ,, light came back on in less than a mile after repair,,,, skoda had another faulty part in the system which included a pipe ??? this was ordered and fitted every thing is fine now..... octi vrs has the same engine fault ,

Bagpuss.

We had the pressure sensor fail twice on our Octy once it was cleaned the second time replaced with what i understand to be a revised item , that was about 2 years ago and no problems since , but our car didnt go into limp home mode it still drove normally just had a warning light on