Lap times for an Octavia TDI VRS on the Nurburgring?

JohnMcL7

I was wondering what a good time for the Octavia II VRS TDI was on the Nurburgring with the stock 170bhp and also if possible the Fabia in stock and remapped configurations.

The reason I'm asking is that I decided not to take my Octavia down to the track and instead hired a 200bhp Clio which I was initially disappointed with as I thought so much power in a little car was going to be seriously nippy but it didn't really feel it. Most of that is because I'm used to the TDI engine just powering through the gears with ease whereas the Clio needed to be revved really hard to squeeze the performance out of it. However it was very nimble through the corners and was producing good times which has made me curious what the Octavia can do.

John

I should think in stock form, to get an 11 minute lap out of either is fairly good going. You cannot really say "the car will do XXX" as 99% of Ring lap times are down to driver skill, knowledge, patience, and ultimately big kahunas :D

The Clio was pushing under ten minutes including waved yellows and accidents, the instructors reckon they can get around nine minutes on a clear track which I don't have a hard time believing. I would expect the Octavia to be at least under the ten minute mark as my older Toledo (a sport TDI 150) breezed round in just over 10:30 and that was a one-off without knowing or having driven on the track. It felt like the Clio wasn't so fast in midrange power as it seemed to struggle to get up to speed but I suspect it would be similar to the Seat and suffer from a heavy front end in the corners. The Octavia PD engine has smoother power delivery than the older 1.9 PD 150 plus the Octavia has a lot more grip so I reckon it could beat the Toledo by a reasonable margin.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

and of course one should not be timing ones self :p

Car: Fabia vRS remapped etc

timed via watch by passenger from setting off to coming back in 11 mins 30 secs is the quickest I've been. Half wet track and my 5th run and I was pushing it :o . I'm not a quick driver as anyone that was at castle combes spring action will confirm!

So in stock form knowing what you are doing and with a clear run I'm sure the 10:30 time should be good in a Octavia vRS (My Octavia has much more grip and stablity than the fabia does).

Like Jason said the times vary depending on what else is out and how skillful (or lucky or crazy) the driver is

I wasn't timing myself, I had a very sneaky passenger who did the timing without anyone noticing. I've been lucky enough to avoid a wet track completely but from what I've seen and read the track is much slower when wet due to the poor grip.

While skill does vary I'm just looking for a ball park time from someone here in a similar position who's gone over there and put in a weekend of laps, I'd think the Octavia would easily be under ten minutes but wondering how much lower.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

On a TF day in the summer I doubt you'll get anywhere near what the car is capable of.

On a very empty December weekend I managed to get a 90PS Astra diesel around in 10 minutes 8 seconds BTG. On a TF day in August I could barely get 11 mins out of a Fabia vRS.

I would guess that if the whole track is dry and free from any traffic you could get a vRS around with a BTG time of about 9minutes 20 seconds or so.

Edited by Allams Skoda

• 1 month later...

got a friend who can pedal his clio 182 round in 8.47 but h seriously knows the track!!

and a few months ago i did 9.32 in the vrs.

best lap i've done as a passenger was in a mates ibiza cupra R running 298bhp we did a 9.18 with a 25 second slow down to a crawl due to a big accident involving 2 911's.

still can't get the R1 round in under 10mins cos i spend all the time looking over my shoulder for nutters in lambo's / ferrari's etc.....

• 1 year later...

8.54 Bridge to Gantry in my E36 328i with 228bhp

11.38 with my 20001 Octavia 1.9tdi as I fried my brakes going into Aremberg.

2012 VRS TDI on order for March and will be taking it as a support car next year - it'd be rude not to do a lap so I'll let you know how it gets on...

I'm not an expert by any means, still a lot to learn, but with the Torque of the CR engine I'll be expecting low to mid 9s...

I had an E46M3 CSL a few years a the ring fantastic car,did a 7.53 on vid and a 7.48 on a DL1 with low traffic BTG,might try the fab vrs next year :)

When you say DL1 don't you mean DN1 ? I was on DN1 in my diesel of win (ibiza tdi)Some quick times in the CSL btw.

Duno what time I did it in the vRS guess just about 10 mins (as dont time myself properly) time I went alone and not having a convoy of motors behind on tour and could actually have a play myself, time roughly in my old passat was just under 11mins in the wet.

F1 Nurburgring about 2 mins(ish) depending on your understear on the hairpin....In the car it went something like "ooooooooooooooo go on girl get round NOOOOOO not that way, ooooo there you go grip and off"  she drifted well I have to say fpmsl  amazing....hurry up march is all I can say 