BP Ultimate v Shell V Power

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use

First things first im a real lover of the Shell V Power ive used it most of my cars and found it to give the best gains when it comes to unleaded at least. When i had my vrs remapped a week later i had it rolling roaded and at the time it was running on Shell V Power diesel results where 178bhp 285ft-lb which i am very happy with and ever since it has run on Shell V Power. So i got to thinking should i try BP Ultimate Diesel and see what results i get? Seeing as i am going on a rolling road day this saturday i thought it would be a perfect chance to test it and get proper results. I filled up on monday with a full tank of BP Ultimate so far there seems to be less smoke but other than that i cant feel any difference but the proof is in the pudding. I am looking forward to the results to say the least out of intrest what are people thoughts on both fuels ? what do you use? have you noticed any gains?

below is some info on both fuels

bpvsvp.jpg

Guest BigJase88

wont be scientific its rolling road lottery

even between two runs on a dyno within the space of 2 mins the results are never the same :thumbup:

Guest BigJase88

Should it be run on either of the more premium options? ive only put normal diesel in mine so far

No normal diesel is fine....

premium stuff supposedly gives you more bhp and mpg but i doubt you'll even notice the difference on a 130bhp diesel :thumbup:

As above. V power and all the other pricey fuels wont do anything on a 130 bhp diesel. Even on the 3L BMW I doubt it will do much.

On high performance petrols it gives more BHP but on every day cars it actually lowers BHP.

5th gear did a test on it. think the vids on youtube

standard diesel + millers, and my car runs fine. Never had any kind of positive outcomes from trialling any premium fuel - just an emptier bank account.

Hear Hear Jason.I quite agree.

Having said that,my current 5 litres of Millers will run out shortly.

I'm tempted to run just standard unadulterated diesel for 6 months or so to see what happens.

used vpower in a masda 3, 2l tdi sport, gave a better respose but as far as the more mile went it did less. bp ultimate used before, was worse in terms of miles and didnt feel any different to normal

i find if the cars petrol it does make a fair difference

A few years ago i had a mk2 passat estate with the 1600cc diesel engine, 80bhp and crap from a standing start,but would cruise at 80/90mph all day,when i tried BP ultimate and SHELL V power it made no difference around town, but on the open road it felt like an extra 500cc under the bonnet.

I'd love to know if there was a difference between Diesel Extra and this new Fuel Save Diesel, or is it just a change of name.

I use standard diesel with the Miller Oils additive - Seems to work good for me - Used the additive in every diesel I've owned... Definitely reduces the smoke, even when remapped :D

I'd love to know if there was a difference between Diesel Extra and this new Fuel Save Diesel, or is it just a change of name.

From speaking to one of my friends who works for them, it's meant to have a better "economy rate" - So that's why they advertise it as gaining an extra litre per tank or something like that... :S

just got back from the rolling road day and there was in improvement my previous run on V-Power was 178bhp 285ft-lb and today it has run a 182.1bhp and 300ft-lb so thats an increase of 4.1bhp and 15ft-lb its to early to say what the mpg is like but once empty i will report back but im very happy with these results and today is warmer than when i had done last time :-)

I travel 500 miles plus each week so I have been able to compare various makes of diesel and in my Fiesta Sport Van 1.6 TDCi the best fuel of late has been the standard shell diesel. The van is nippier and more economical on standard than the more expensive stuff.

Steve.

I have used the fuelsave diesel and have noticed better mpg. Also been using total excellium and get better pull with that, more so than the v power diesel. I wonder if half n half of excellium and fuel save would give you the benefits of both?

Use regular (now fuel save) from Shell and every now and then a tank of V-Power to treat the car :)

Went camping a few weeks ago, 3 adults, one dog, boot full and roof box full - averaged 45mpg on that tank - just shows extra weight and drag reduces mpg!

Just been to Stonehenge and back, two adults, no luggage/roof box etc, done 285 miles and not used half a tank yet - no venting and using fuel save stuff! :)