REAR DOOR PROTECTIVE FILM FITTED FOR FREE

mellyboy

MSB use a bodyshop at Yarm so I never got chance to get a viewing of your Yeti.

I've got Scarlet back home but there are still air bubbles in the new foil. Hopefully thses will go in the next week, if not watch this space and stand by for some major fall out!)

That's a real pain - it does seem from various threads that there's quite a lot of sloppy work done when retrofitting these foils. Hope it gets sorted out.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MSB use a bodyshop at Yarm so I never got chance to get a viewing of your Yeti.

I've got Scarlet back home but there are still air bubbles in the new foil. Hopefully thses will go in the next week, if not watch this space and stand by for some major fall out!)

Hi Daveless

are they trying to fit your foils dry.

I fitted the foils to my sm and found it so easy just spray with warm soapy water and put them on move into place push out the air bubbles and some of the moisture. simplessss and they are still on after 11k.

hope you get them sorted soon

regards Kevin

Hi Daveless

are they trying to fit your foils dry.

I fitted the foils to my sm and found it so easy just spray with warm soapy water and put them on move into place push out the air bubbles and some of the moisture. simplessss and they are still on after 11k.

hope you get them sorted soon

regards Kevin

Spray your fingers as well then you don't get fingerprints on the foils.

tom

Phoned my skoda dealer and asked if the foils were going to be on my yeti when it arrived he said skoda are fitting them at the factory now, and have done on other models for ages, he also said he couldnt understand why the yeti was not prefitted with these foils before

Mine's now going back for a third time hopefully next week, told they had a black one in and had no problems but was a different guy who done the work, this guy will now be doing mine :)

Fingers crossed all goes well this time!

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a photo of the foils or exactly where they are fitted. My Yeti was in the showroom when I bought it so unsure of its exact manufacture time. Need to check if it has these mistical foils fitted already or if I need to get it back in for them. Cheers.

Hi AlHarold. Some while back (I've forgotten the thread) I posted a copy that I'd been given of the parts sheet for these foils and the Yeti. Admittedly it wasn't very clear exactly, but GreatYeti posted this LINK with the instructions to fit the foils, and it includes some photographs of the foils.

Basically they fit towards and around the trailing wheel arch edge of the door. :)

Hi AlHarold. Some while back (I've forgotten the thread) I posted a copy that I'd been given of the parts sheet for these foils and the Yeti. Admittedly it wasn't very clear exactly, but GreatYeti posted this LINK with the instructions to fit the foils, and it includes some photographs of the foils.

Basically they fit towards and around the trailing wheel arch edge of the door. :)

Great thanks, know what I'm looking for now, will go check my SM :D

Been and checked and I do have the proctective film already added. Can see why when you look where the splatters on my car are already - You can hopefully make out the film on this photo.

YetiProtector.jpg

Been and checked and I do have the proctective film already added. Can see why when you look where the splatters on my car are already - You can hopefully make out the film on this photo.

Do you have a photo of the whole SM, few images of a Greenline at the moment :wonder:

Thanks,

TP

Great photo, AHarrold. As a matter of particular interest to me is whether - where it goes around the edge of the door following the profile of the wheel - does it actually wrap around that edge?

The foils came with that edge specially pre-slit to make fitting it completely around that curved edge, easier. GreatYeti shows this where he describes the foils having been fitted and shows the inside edge in photo 1 - he says: "Note how the foils wrap around the door edge in Picture No:1 and adhere up the inside edge providing protection for that edge." Are yours like that? I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know.

Great photo, AHarrold. As a matter of particular interest to me is whether - where it goes around the edge of the door following the profile of the wheel - does it actually wrap around that edge?

The foils came with that edge specially pre-slit to make fitting it completely around that curved edge, easier. GreatYeti shows this where he describes the foils having been fitted and shows the inside edge in photo 1 - he says: "Note how the foils wrap around the door edge in Picture No:1 and adhere up the inside edge providing protection for that edge." Are yours like that? I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know.

Yes on the inside of the door there is a small bead that runs down the edge, the foil just goes to this bead and no further, the foil has obviously had slits on it to allow the foil to fit round the curve. Hope you can make it out from this photo?

SkodaTrim.jpg

Great! Thank you, AHarrold. The photo was very clear for my purposes, and clearly, in that respect, your foils have been fitted in the manner given in the Skoda instructions. Some owners (me now included) have not! :(

Hooray! Finally got my foils retro-fitted by Claybank Skoda, Manchester. No hassle, no drama, perfect fit!

What really impressed me was them agreeing with my comment "better to fit them before the paint gets damaged, rather than having to rectify stone chip damage first".

How refreshing :thumbup:

That's great news. And what fantastic comprehension of client expectations your dealer demonstrates! Brilliant.

(I'm a little envious, though, because I can't seem to get the same level of competence in France.) :(

Well having a totally rubbish experience with Chathams Edinburgh in retrofitting these. Car first went for inspection on 23 February, work finally cleared to be done late March (!!!) and after having the car for four days before finally picking it up on 8 April (yup it needed both doors resprayed) found it had bubbles under the film and more annoyingly one foil hadn't been sealed properly at the top edge and was easily pickable off with just a fingernail due to the dust that was already under it. Not to mention that the final detailing and presentation of the car was not the best (polish overrub on some of the plastics; various splatters here and there). Didn't even get an apology, and even worse, workshop manager stated that he knew some bubbling was a recurrent problem but he hadn't even been bothered to go outside to check on a car that his workshop had done and was sitting for 24 hours. Hopeless. So car still at garage waiting for replacement foils but what are the chances of these getting fitted properly after the first experience?

Anyone want a Yeti...?

Well having a totally rubbish experience with Chathams Edinburgh in retrofitting these. Car first went for inspection on 23 February, work finally cleared to be done late March (!!!) and after having the car for four days before finally picking it up on 8 April (yup it needed both doors resprayed) found it had bubbles under the film and more annoyingly one foil hadn't been sealed properly at the top edge and was easily pickable off with just a fingernail due to the dust that was already under it. Not to mention that the final detailing and presentation of the car was not the best (polish overrub on some of the plastics; various splatters here and there). Didn't even get an apology, and even worse, workshop manager stated that he knew some bubbling was a recurrent problem but he hadn't even been bothered to go outside to check on a car that his workshop had done and was sitting for 24 hours. Hopeless. So car still at garage waiting for replacement foils but what are the chances of these getting fitted properly after the first experience?

Anyone want a Yeti...?

It took 3 attempts before Scarlets foils were fitted correctly, but at least I had a courtesy car when she was in the garage. I was given a small pot of touch up paint from the bodyshop when I picked her up, this has been useful for stone chippings.

@ Northener:

I don't know if your final comment was serious or not, but it certainly resonates with me! The Skoda Yeti is a brilliant car - that's why my wife and I chose it, but for us it is Skoda's attitude over warranty work, and the quality of it, that have definitely soured our love for the car. We were going to upgrade to the top model this year, but can't visualise being able to get good service in France. So it'll be back to the drawing board again. :(

@ Northener:

I don't know if your final comment was serious or not, but it certainly resonates with me! The Skoda Yeti is a brilliant car - that's why my wife and I chose it, but for us it is Skoda's attitude over warranty work, and the quality of it, that have definitely soured our love for the car. We were going to upgrade to the top model this year, but can't visualise being able to get good service in France. So it'll be back to the drawing board again. :(

Try getting some quotes from UK dealers for a French Spec car, sure it must be possible?

Well having a totally rubbish experience with Chathams Edinburgh in retrofitting these.

Hmm, that's a bit worrying. Looks like I might be better off taking mine to West End Garage in Broxburn, then.

Or I might just not bother at all. I did actually buy a generic DIY paintwork protection foil kit a while back, before I noticed that I had picked up a stone chip. I'm wondering whether it would be less hassle to repair the chip myself and fit the DIY foils, rather than having to trail out to the dealership to get the work approved, then go back again and leave my car for several days while the work is done. I've already picked up a scratch on the front passenger door that I'll need to get done somehow anyway.

I don't suppose anyone has a template of the Skoda foils that I could use to cut my DIY ones to the correct shape?

@ Northener:

I guess the problem once again, is that Skoda build a great car & then lets franchises sell, maintain and act as their representative once they leave the factory.

As I understand it, Skoda UK isn't owned by Skoda, same with France, Belgium etc... so the service you get is only as good as the local independent dealer & the backup (and quality monitoring) they get from the main franchisee in the country.