Black VRS... which polish?

I've seen quite a few very clean Black VRS's's's on the site and I was wondering which polish most people use.

I dont want to spend a fortune but just want a nice finish that doesn't take hours to apply. Back in the day I used MER.

I've seen quite a few very clean Black VRS's's's on the site and I was wondering which polish most people use.

I dont want to spend a fortune but just want a nice finish that doesn't take hours to apply. Back in the day I used MER.

I currently use Autoglym Super Resin polish, followed by a layer of Turtle Wax Platinum Series Precision Car Wax - both relatively cheap, easy to apply and buff off. I'd say to always wax after the polish as they have minor cutting compounds in as far as I know, and the wax will protect it. Just the wax on it's own though gives a pretty good shine.

I'm no detailer as I don't have the patience so this is just going off own experience :)

Marc

Edited by Marc81

To get a good shine there's more to it than just polishing.

To get a good shine, ideally need to spend several hours

Snowfoam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay, dry, polish, wax

You can try:

Cleanyourcar

Elite car care

or for lots of tips try

Detailingworld

You cant go wrong with a decent wash method, dry, then polish, then final finish

For a polish... super resin polish is one of the most under rated polishes on the market it really easy awesoem stuff

Then finish with a good sealant or wax, or both

i would recommend Dodo, get a wax matched for a dark car, sealent there are loads to choose and not much difference in terms of quality if your applying a wax on top, smartsealant is good as is jetseal 109 and also zaino clear seal

If you're a novice and want something to do by hand in a simple process, I'd recommend:

Get a Meguiars Quik Clay kit and use that (I don't particularly like it, but it all comes in one-box with lube and has good instructions). Then use AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. It's an all-in-one polish which is part compound and part fillers and is made to be easy to apply for a mass market. Then follow it with a decent wax - Collinite 416 or 915 should do the trick.

If you want something more serious, replace the Super Resin Polish with a compound polish applied via machine. It might be best to get professional help with that. Once the desired level of correction has been achieved by machine polishing, put on glaze polish like Poorboy's Black Hole and then wax as above.

To get a good shine there's more to it than just polishing.

To get a good shine, ideally need to spend several hours

Snowfoam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay, dry, polish, wax

Im pretty sure he said he didn't want to spend alot and something that wont take hours? You can get a good finish with Super resin polish as mentioned before

I use a tar and bug remover to clean off any stubbon dirt.

then I wash and dry the car including inside the doors, bonnet and boot.

I then use the Autoglym clay kit taking my time to make sure that the surface is clean and smooth.

after this I use the autoglym super resin polish, and then finish with a nice layer of autoglym high definition wax.

this looks fantastic on my car and the protection lasts ages.

if done proporly this should take no more that 3 hours, and can be months and months apart if washed regularly.

Steve.

post-58546-12814764687123_thumb.jpg

I always used to use Meguires NXT on mine...I had a 2002 Octavia vRS, a 2005 Fabia vRS and a 2006 Fabia vRS all in black magic.

Have to give it a top up every few weeks, but it's no drama with it being so easy to apply and remove.

Here's my Fabia that I have just sold:

Fabia4.jpg

Fabia9.jpg

And my old Octavia:

Hex3.jpg

I'm the person who's just bought Doll's Fabia...

Just given it a full detail. Paintwork went as follows:

• Clay (Bilt Hamber AutoClay and Chemical Guys Synthetic QD as lube)
  • Machine Polish (only needed a light polish so Menzerna Final Finish on Meguiars Finishing pad applied via Megs DA)
  • Glaze (Meguiars #7 Showcar Glaze, gave all my Poorboys Black Hole away :()
  • 2 coats of wax (Dodo Juice Supernatural)

The finish should last over the winter, will just need to top up the wax every 2-3 months and use a gentle wash method every week to wash.

Couldn't get many good pictures, but I think this one shows the shine quite well...

shine.jpg

• 1 month later...

Would polish and wax get rid of scratches, such as the ones around the door handles?

Or should I just give it a damn good t-cut first... My black Fabia hasn't had any more than a pressure washer and a sponge used on it. Little scratches and tar spots all over it...

I might actually have the time to give it a good clean and polish after I pick it up...

Would polish and wax get rid of scratches, such as the ones around the door handles?

Or should I just give it a damn good t-cut first... My black Fabia hasn't had any more than a pressure washer and a sponge used on it. Little scratches and tar spots all over it...

I might actually have the time to give it a good clean and polish after I pick it up...

OK, on soft modern paints, T-Cut = bad.

If you want something to cut/polish go with something that isn't petroleum based so it won't melt your topcoat. Menzerna's One Step Acrylic Jacket is nice as a single do all product. It will polish out minor scratches and seal the surface in one, think of a sealant as a sacrificial layer on top of the paint. You get some added protection against further scratching. Your last stage product is your first line of defence.

The other thing is "sponges". Washing your car with a sponge just grinds all that surface grit into your paint, get yourself a microfibre wash mitt or any large looped microfibre cloth would be an improvement.

EDIT: I don't think there are any protectors for behind the handles, but several coats of a synthetic sealant will help. If you're scratching anything, you're scratching the sealant first.

Edited by Buzzark

Nobody here a fan of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, then?

I've used it for years and it works great.

Just yesterday I was fixing some problems from claying (15 month's of dirt, too much enthusiasm and not enough time) and this stuff rounded off the swirls a treat. Autoglim Super Resin polish for the genuine scratches (sills and the like - damn passengers), followed by the glaze everywhere to round/fill the swirls, followed by Poor Boy's Natty Paste for the protection (and the smell!!!)

Having said that, it looks like I'll be giving this Black Hole stuff a shot...

According to recent thread on Detailing World by someone from the AutoGlym team, Super Resin Polish (SRP) isn't really a polish as the cut is VERY low indeed, it's more properly described as a cleaner/filler/sealant and in the subsequent discussion it was stated by someone that you should use either SRP or Black Hole (BH) because one would remove the other and they both did the same job as fillers. The main difference being that BH has no sealant so it needs to be covered with something like Extra Gloss Protection (EGP) or Collinite 915 Concours d'Elegance. Collinite do not recommend 476S for dark coloured cars although I'm not sure why.

One thing that literally AMAZED me recently was how easy EGP was to use. You literally just wipe it off. Compared to something like 476S it's incredible. Obviously you can't compare it to 476S for durability, but to be honest, you could use it every week it's that easy to put on and take off.