Damaged 1 tyre - do I need to change both?

We have a petrol VRS. Managed to damage 1 tyre on the front axle. It has 5mm trad left on the other tyre - so do we buy 1) buy 1 Ultrac Sessanta (lasting well at >14000 miles so far) or 2) 2 tyres - if so will try pilot sport 3's (which I was planning when the ultracs wore out!) or 3) go back to Toyo T1R used successfully on an imprezza turbo and Mondeo 130 TDCi.

Option1 - about £100 fitted

PS3 - about £300 fitted

T1r - circa £109

If we can just change 1 then cost amy well dictate that!

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Gary

I would buy 2 new ones for the front and either keep that as a spare spare or sell it to recoup some money.

If your spare is new you could always buy another the same as your spare and use the 5mm one on your spare tyre.

Just replace the one that was damaged. Why would you do anything other?

If you have different tread depths it will alter you tracking by making your car wander to one side.

Tracking should always be done with even tread depths.

The spare is a 16" wheel and the car has 18" alloys! Don't ya just love the modern fan dangled ways ! Full size spares were just the ticket!

Why considerring 2 tyres - well 197bhp projectile - thats my concern!

I have always replaced tyres in pairs - and would only put a matching tyre on if a single - my concern is 1 tyre will have 8mm tread the other 5mm- thats only 62.5% of the tread left.

I should add it currently has Ultrac Sesantas all round.

I would replace two on the same axle and keep the non damaged as a spare. I would only have tyres of similar thread depths on the same axle.

Camskill are doing Falken ZIEX912 225/40/18 XL for approx £60 a tyre, you can't say fairer than that. I use the 17" on my remapped PD140 and I can't fault them.

I would replace two on the same axle and keep the non damaged as a spare. I would only have tyres of similar thread depths on the same axle.

Me too.

You're driving a vehicle that weighs about 1 1/2 tonnes that can travel at almost 150mph! I accept that you may not drive at that speed but if there was even a shadow of doubt as to whether unequal tyre treads would affect safety what do you think you should do?

Well 2 new michelin ps3 on the car. Had found a part worn Sessanta with the **** tread but unfortunately the other tyre met a sharp curb and lost. Thats 2 scraped alloys. Still these are now for the winter tyres as had new wheels in garage so 2 new tyres on 2 new wheels :-).