top tips for Octavia VRS anyone?

Hello people!

As of tomorrow i shall of purchased an Octavia VRS 08 plate petrol. I wondered ive read reviews on parker about the chassis in regards to handeling being not so great in corners?

I just wondered if this is true from people who has a VRS.

Also i just wondered what are good modifications ? if any are needed?

Suggestions please! :D

Ryan

Hello people!

As of tomorrow i shall of purchased an Octavia VRS 08 plate petrol. I wondered ive read reviews on parker about the chassis in regards to handeling being not so great in corners?

Ryan

Mines not a VRS but most people reckon they are pretty good but an uprated rear anti roll bar keeps the ride but improves cornering a lot by reducing roll

Link:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/152785-fitting-a-new-rear-anti-roll-bar-on-a5-chassis/

Mines not a VRS but most people reckon they are pretty good but an uprated rear anti roll bar keeps the ride but improves cornering a lot by reducing roll

Link:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/152785-fitting-a-new-rear-anti-roll-bar-on-a5-chassis/

I think it would be unfair to say the VRS was poor at cornering from stock but fair to say that there is definitely room for improvemnt. I would therefore agree with Octavia5 that an uprated RARB is onre of the better and most effective upgrades as well as being easy.

If I could wind-back the clock and do it all again, I would:

Stage 1 remap and RARB...

...then, knowing what I know now, get some better brakes as soon after the remap as possible (i.e. you've got the 'go' power; now get the 'stop' power!! I always had an issue with the stock brakes and my new set-up was not too expensive yet loads better than stock)

...then whatever suspension set-up suits your needs

...then go for more serious/costly performance mods like exhaust, cold air intake and further remaps

Personally, I would recommend the first two to anyone even for every day road use. The rest is personal choice.

Edited by muckipup

Hello people!

Ryan

Depends what you're comparing it too....

I bought my VRS as a family car and that's the thing to keep in mind. It does what it does very well, but it'll never be up there with some of the better engineered faster saloons and hatches. The biggest problem I can see straight off without even taking it on track is that the car has no LSD which means you'll be wasting power in corners and you won't be able to get the power down as quick when powering out of corners. I'm sure an uprated rear ARB will also improve things but I think fitting a limited slip diff would make the biggest difference and would transform the drive.

I think modifying anything on the vRS is unjustified unless your planning track days or racing it. The spec and handling is fine and magazine articles I've read including Top Gear car verdict magazine reviewed the vRS handling as "phenomenal".

Let's face it your not gonna legally be able to take the car to it's limits on a public road without running the risk of getting caught.

i know what your saying EddGee <---- 6 point already! and thats not even in a fast car lol. I was just wondering if it needed an uprated rarb but after driving it on the way home for like 90miles i think its fine just as is, its fast and handles well but id have to drive a vrs with rarb fitted to see if there is any major difference. Ryan