DPF forced regen - no warning light

Hi All

My 08 plate Octavia vRS has just had to have a forced regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter carried out even though I have never had a DPF warning light come on my dash.

The car has done 38k miles and does on average 70 miles per day on motorway. After driving 200 miles to go on holiday, my engine management light (exhaust system in owners manual) came on. I stopped and called the garage who assured me that if performance wasn't affected then it was okay to continue with the holiday and then take it into the garage when back home.

I took the car to the garage as soon as I got back and got the news that the diagnostics showed that my DPF filter required a forced regeneration and that this wasn't covered under warranty as it was due to us ' not driving the car in accordance to the owners manual' and that this fault was common to taxi drivers who do a lot of short, stop - start journeys. When I explained that we weren't taxi drivers and that we drove predominatly on motorways, I was told that I would need to drive in line with the manuals instructions. i.e. if the DPF warning light comes on - drive for at least 15minutes in 4th or 5th gear above 60km/h with engine revs between 1500 - 2500 so that soot build up can be burnt off.

I had to pay nearly 100 quid for this regen as they this apparently was down to my driving style, but the real stinger is that this filter can only be forced to regenerate once and if excessive soot builds up again a new filter is required costing circa 1200 quid.

I have never had my DPF warning come on my dash and if it had I would certainly have got my manual out and followed the regen instructions, but what I would like to know is, if any other owners reguarly get this warning light displayed and if anyone else has had this problem before, where a regen has been required even if the DPF warning hasn't displayed?

Cheers

There is a known issue with the DPF on earlier diesel vRS's which is corrected by a software update. If your car has not had this update then it can show the kinds of issues you are having. My dad drives his Fabia diesel with DPF less miles per week and does nearly all short journeys. In the 12 months he has had the car, we have not seen the DPF light, or had any issues at all with his car. He has done about 5K miles in the last 12 months.

Something definitely not right. Car was fine for a week with no warning lights - even took it for two thirty mile drives on m/way in 4th gear just to be on safe side. Then on Friday engine management light (control system for exhaust) came back on.

Was in garage again today to be told it needed another regen and that soot levels where at 25 per cent. Regen got carried out and all sensors checked out okay but why would the soot levels be so high in the space of a week even with the car getting run about in high revs????

I also found out that there is a sensor before the DPF and one after. The sensor before the filter can cause the engine management light can come on and this might only be rectified by a DPF regen. The DPF light will only come on if the second sensor activates. So if I've got this right, the DPF might require regeneration even though the DPF light doesn't show, but the engine management light does - so how is the driver to know when to adjust their driving style if we're getting differing warning signs?

This is driving me nuts as I don't want to have to visit the garage again and again over this. Has anyone came across anything like this before?

Guest wilkopilko

Something definitely not right. Car was fine for a week with no warning lights - even took it for two thirty mile drives on m/way in 4th gear just to be on safe side. Then on Friday engine management light (control system for exhaust) came back on.

Was in garage again today to be told it needed another regen and that soot levels where at 25 per cent. Regen got carried out and all sensors checked out okay but why would the soot levels be so high in the space of a week even with the car getting run about in high revs????

I also found out that there is a sensor before the DPF and one after. The sensor before the filter can cause the engine management light can come on and this might only be rectified by a DPF regen. The DPF light will only come on if the second sensor activates. So if I've got this right, the DPF might require regeneration even though the DPF light doesn't show, but the engine management light does - so how is the driver to know when to adjust their driving style if we're getting differing warning signs?

This is driving me nuts as I don't want to have to visit the garage again and again over this. Has anyone came across anything like this before?

Hi,

The chances are it's the exhaust pressure sensor (G450) I've just had the exact same problem on my 2.0TDI Scout - the "Control System for Exhaust" light came up yesterday & since put the car into 'Limp' Mode - took it into the dealer this morning who replaced this sensor & all is OK. (mind you cost me £160.00!)

I'm just about to put another post up on this as a reference for others.

Cheers,

W.

My car got a regen about 2 weeks ago which cost me £41 and the dealer said that its down to my driving style which is funny because i have been doing alot of motorway work, he also said to me that the car isnt made for short trips so going to the tip or going into town is a big no no for these car :S

Lets just say i was shocked and also couldnt belive what he said.

my mates had his 170 leon regenned twice already, common problem with the pressure sensor, the amount the rac roadside assistance change is on average 1 a day. but as above the software update is vital

EM light came on again on Friday. Car into garage this morning and what do you know - a faulty exhaust pressure sensor was found!!! All this after we had already asked for the sensors to be checked on the diagnostics.

The car is going in this week for the sensor but I'm still unhappy that I had to part with cash to get a forced regen carried out three weeks ago when it looks increasingly like that it wasn't required.

I hope customer services are in a listening mode because I'm not happy after several garage visits and time off work!

Thanks for all your help guys - Much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

My 08 plate Octavia vRS has just had to have a forced regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter carried out even though I have never had a DPF warning light come on my dash.

The car has done 38k miles and does on average 70 miles per day on motorway. After driving 200 miles to go on holiday, my engine management light (exhaust system in owners manual) came on. I stopped and called the garage who assured me that if performance wasn't affected then it was okay to continue with the holiday and then take it into the garage when back home.

I took the car to the garage as soon as I got back and got the news that the diagnostics showed that my DPF filter required a forced regeneration and that this wasn't covered under warranty as it was due to us ' not driving the car in accordance to the owners manual' and that this fault was common to taxi drivers who do a lot of short, stop - start journeys. When I explained that we weren't taxi drivers and that we drove predominatly on motorways, I was told that I would need to drive in line with the manuals instructions. i.e. if the DPF warning light comes on - drive for at least 15minutes in 4th or 5th gear above 60km/h with engine revs between 1500 - 2500 so that soot build up can be burnt off.

I had to pay nearly 100 quid for this regen as they this apparently was down to my driving style, but the real stinger is that this filter can only be forced to regenerate once and if excessive soot builds up again a new filter is required costing circa 1200 quid.

I have never had my DPF warning come on my dash and if it had I would certainly have got my manual out and followed the regen instructions, but what I would like to know is, if any other owners reguarly get this warning light displayed and if anyone else has had this problem before, where a regen has been required even if the DPF warning hasn't displayed?

Cheers

hI been having same problems past 6 months dpf light been on once, Mine is trying to regen on a nigh on daily basis with increased rev total noise change to engine lumpy running but dealer keeps claiming no fault found well have got skoda assist on their to me now hopefully to force a regeneration this prob is being tracked already on a different thread have a quick search through dpf issue and your see ive already had some fantastic advice mainly from Bahnstormer

• 10 months later...

EM light came on again on Friday. Car into garage this morning and what do you know - a faulty exhaust pressure sensor was found!!! All this after we had already asked for the sensors to be checked on the diagnostics.

The car is going in this week for the sensor but I'm still unhappy that I had to part with cash to get a forced regen carried out three weeks ago when it looks increasingly like that it wasn't required.

I hope customer services are in a listening mode because I'm not happy after several garage visits and time off work!

Thanks for all your help guys - Much appreciated!

Hi

I have exactly the same issue ( Octavia 2.0 tdi VRS / 2009 / 33K km ) as you had. I'd never seen any DPF light on until today however along with DPF light, Glow Plug System and Control system for exhaust lights went on as well.

I drove immediately to Skoda garage ( limp mode ) asking to check the fault and I was told that due to my driving style and not allowing DPF reg., filter got damaged and replacement is required ( roughly 2000E… ). Unfortunately car is out of warranty ( expired in March 11), but was told that even if I had warranty, it wouldn't cover DPF replacement...This is just ridiculous as I was never pre-warned that DPF regeneration is required as light has never come on.

I would appreciate if someone confirmed whether it's possible to check how often ( or if ever ) DPF light was on in the past. Any other ideas would be much appreciated! All I want is to prove to Skoda that I’m bloody telling the truth .

I wrote complaint to Skoda Customer Service, if they wont acknowledge manufacturer fault, I think I raise the matter with relevant authorities as I’m not willing to pay 2000E for something that was not my fault. I wonder if anyone in Ireland has had the same issue and wondered to file a lawsuit?

• 1 year later...

My 09 plate vrs ltd ed diesel is in the garage now awaiting the dreaded it requires a new dpf ...never had any warning lights on the whole 18 months weve had it . its had an exhaust sensor two months ago and a dpf sensor today but the garage says it wont allow a regen 

It should be very easy for the dealer to determine if the DPF is dead.

When the DPF performs a regen to burn off the soot a small amount of ash is left inside the DPF.

It is the amount of ash inside the DPF that determines its life. Once it reaches a certain level the DPF finds it harder and harder to regen which in turn makes the problem worse.

When attempting to perform a forced regen the dealer simply needs to read the 'Ash MAFF level'. It is this level that will tell the dealer if it is the DPF at fault. If the level is fine then the issue lays elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Having just picked up my FIRST ever Skoda, I start to drive home within 60 miles the DPF light comes on, within five min the glow plug light starts to flash, next five mins the EML comes on and limp mode, all in a matter of a few miles....... Not even time to find a suitable road to start a "passive" regeneration.  Had to hook it up to vcds in the end and make a forced regen from a 54% blocked DPF... never seen one that high before, normally scrap after 45% ! Anyway straight out to motorway keeping it above 2k all the way and then a continuios drive at 2500 or above and it took a good 10-15 min drive in this style of driving to clean it back to 0%.  But pleased to have car back at usual grunt, lets hope it stays that way for a few months now. So note to EVERYONE, once you get this light on (DPF) find a motorway quick with at LEAST half a tank of fuel (cos it uses around 1/4 tank during the regen process) and stay on 4th gear keeping at around 2 - 2.5k revs CONTINUOUSLY, which should put you at around 55mph so a safe(ish) speed to do in lane one. Keep your head and if its not reset that DPF light after 10-12 miles of the same driving style then go for say max 15 miles run and then exit motorway pull to a stop turn off engine, allow say 10 seconds, and restart the car HOPEFULLY all lights will be cleared.  Hope this can be of some help to someone.

On a working engine, active regen takes well under 1-2ltr of fuel, if you get the limp mode despite ongoing uninterrupted regen, chances are there is a smoke generating problem in the engine, faulty injector, loss of compression, loss of injection pressure or similar, or in other words someone just sold you a lemon. 

I had a faulty block from factory in my 1.6CR Roomster, and the DPF would regen at least once a month, light on dashboard, and 5-6 miles each time. Thankfully, it got worse and I noticed fuel going into engine oil, around this time the active regens also became more frequent. After the engine block has been replaced under warranty 10k miles / 7 months ago, I had regen light only once, and it cleared itself within 5 miles of driving. 

By the way, soot loading is not a reason to scrap DPF filter, ash loading is, every DPF has a limit on how much ash it can accumulate. Even 100%+ soot loading can be cleared (90% - 100% is the threshold for safe in car regeneration, above this there is a risk of fire, the percentage is reladed to pressure difference across DPF), though for 90%+ blockages the DPF needs be taken off the car and hot air run through it (as in 500deg C or higher heat gun). 

Edited by dieselV6