SD card...what size and where from

Octygone

SD (secure Digital) is the type of card and size you need their are others such as compact flash etc, but be careful as you can now get SDHC (high capacity) cards with lots of memory but your card reader will have to be SDHC comp.

I have a SDHC card in my bolero, and it works but I keep on getting the message "Wrong Data Format, unable to read file" across the display so you can't see what the next track is. I am going to try an old SD card to see what happens.

Make shouldn't make much difference read / write speeds should be ok also.

Quick question really what size SD card works in the bolero and where did you get yours from....also what make is best/fastest.

Thanks

I use an Integral 32Gb SDHC - Class 6 card - in my columbus head unit. I got it from dabs.com just before going away on holiday - copied around 40 albums from my home audio server - all mp3's at 320kb rate - its literally instantaneous in terms of audio access and hasnt skipped a beat in eight weeks of hard use. :thumbup:

You can use upto 32gb SD HC cards (HC stands for high capacity) then you also have to choose Class type 2/4/6 etc. Class type is very important as this determines the data transfer speed and write speed. I currently use 16gb SDHC samsung card class 6 the more albums you put on the longer bolero takes to access your requests. For me 16gb card class 6 was a compromise of price, amount of albums stored and speed of access. Also when loading albums on to the card I deleted artwork files from each album I found this helps bolero access requests quicker.

Here is a link to a previous post I made, explaining what I had to do to get my SD card working adequately.

My car is a 2010 model year. Maybe the 2011 builds seem to have the firmware working better now?

My link

Blimey, that was complicated. I just saved my Cd's into MP3 format and did a drag and drop. The perils of Itunes/Apple.

Some people don't half find problems!!

2gig SD card bought for an old Garmin Sat Nav that then went wrong (to load Euro maps on to), loaded with WMA files straight from Windows Media Player by "cut and paste".

So far I've put 6 CD's on it and it isn't a quarter full.

Push it into slot in dash and it automatically plays

Buying SD cards (or USb drives) from Ebay is dicey; there are lots of crook about hacking them to look like a larger size drive than they really are.

I buy all mine from Aria.com. If you join the forums and link to your Aria account, you can get free P&P (as long as you make 50 posts a month).

Buying SD cards (or USb drives) from Ebay is dicey; there are lots of crook about hacking them to look like a larger size drive than they really are.

I buy all mine from Aria.com. If you join the forums and link to your Aria account, you can get free P&P (as long as you make 50 posts a month).

I have bought several SD cards and similar from sellers on Ebay and have not been stung yet. All you need to do is read the feedback and don't simply assume that 100% is all you need to check for. There again I bought a 16gb Sandisk card for my wife's new camera from Amazon last week and they were cheaper than most on Ebay.

Blimey, that was complicated. I just saved my Cd's into MP3 format and did a drag and drop. The perils of Itunes/Apple.

I agree, just copied the mp3 files from my itunes library onto the SD card into a couple of folders and all works fine and I use a 16GB SDHC Class 6 :yes:

I agree, just copied the mp3 files from my itunes library onto the SD card into a couple of folders and all works fine and I use a 16GB SDHC Class 6 :yes:

That's great if you had it so easy- do things like folders work (eg can you see albums, and then the tracks below that) and did you manage to copy over any playlists?

I bought an 8gb Sandisk Ultra SD card from Amazon for about £15. I simply dragged and dropped my (previously) ripped CD collection onto the card - the CDs were mostly ripped at 320mbs and I reckon there would be room for about 80 - 100 CDs on the card. Once the card is operating I find response pretty much instantaneous and sound quality is extremely good.

Edited by Del B

That's great if you had it so easy- do things like folders work (eg can you see albums, and then the tracks below that) and did you manage to copy over any playlists?

Yes, folders do work, I had one for called Albums and then the individualalbums and tracks n these so 3 levels of folders and all work ok, names/tracks work fineon the Bolero.

Haven't tried playlists yet but then I don't really have them in Itunes. Will let you know if I get a chance to have a look this weekend

Haven't tried playlists yet but then I don't really have them in Itunes. Will let you know if I get a chance to have a look this weekend

Playlists aren't so easy, see the following thread which may/should help:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/153284-bolero-playlist/page__p__1905723__hl__playlist__fromsearch__1entry1905723

tom