Front Grille

the scud

Had a bump in my VRS last week and smashed my bonnet grille.

It is only the black centre vented part that has smashed. But now I need a replacement. I am also considering painting the chrome section red to match the car.

Can anyone let me know where to get a bonnet grille (preferably cheap) and give any hints on painting the chrome section.

Cheers all.

Had a bump in my VRS last week and smashed my bonnet grille.

It is only the black centre vented part that has smashed. But now I need a replacement. I am also considering painting the chrome section red to match the car.

Can anyone let me know where to get a bonnet grille (preferably cheap) and give any hints on painting the chrome section.

Cheers all.

Ebay - loads on there old and new - just got an entire 2001 grill for £27 inc postage off a breaker - type skoda octavia spares and loads come up.

I've whacked mine into a VW golf once at about 20 mph, my grille is slightly loose it should be a bit further back but you cant tell its like a millimetre.

I've whacked the rear end once into a concrete wall, only damage was a bit of paint off. The wall was demolished.. And also rear ended it into someone else once, got away with that too.

Strong cars. :D

As for painting your chrome section, there are plenty of threads on here of people that have done the same.

Top tips:-

1. Use a coarse sandpaper to remove all the "chrome" from the plastic, then finer sandpaper to smooth the surface again.

2. Use primer, 2 coats minimum.

3. Paint in your preferred colour.

4. Lacquer it if you want to really go to town on it. I didn't but wish I had, but then again I skimped on stage 1 as well!! emoticon-0114-dull.gif

I used Wilko Project paint at the princely cost of £3 a can! I'm not necessarily expecting it to last!

Oh, top tip #5 - cover the ground with a large quantity of newspaper or similar that will guarantee you aren't trying to explain to SWMBO why there's overspray all over the patio! emoticon-0136-giggle.gif Learnt that one the hard way too!!!

I've changed my grill to a custom one and the standard is just sitting in the shed, you can have the lot for £20 inc p&p. The chrome bit has been sprayed black but a quick sand we sort that out. No front skoda or vrs badge on though. If interested drop me a pm.

Its only the chrome surround and center black grill.

Edited by jpd

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my grill to a custom one and the standard is just sitting in the shed, you can have the lot for £20 inc p&p. The chrome bit has been sprayed black but a quick sand we sort that out. No front skoda or vrs badge on though. If interested drop me a pm.

Its only the chrome surround and center black grill.

That sounds good to me, if you could let me know how much it is to post I think we may have a deal.

Cheers.

Is it ok? As it was done for my mates fabia then we realised the dam grille is slightly well alot different in shape so it was never used.