Anti roll bar sizes and compatibility with other VAG models...

Yeti_Man

I'll be checking my OEM (Yeti) ones on Saturday morning.

I had Kevin up on a platform early this morning, to have wheels switched over to my Winters, so took the opportunity to get my measuring callipers out and check the OEM anti-roll bars, which are (pus/minus 0.05mm);-

Front - 23mm Rear - 20mm

By comparison, having trawled around the Interweb, various anti-roll bars for the Golf R are available;-

OEM Front - 22mm Rear - 21mm

Whiteline Front - 24mm Rear - 22mm or 24mm

Neuspeed - Front - 25mm Rear - 25mm

H & R Front - 24mm Rear - 26mm

The variation in the ratio (Golf R OEM vs alternate) between front & rear of the various pair is intriguing as each will give a subtly different change in the handling balance under vs. over steer with:-

Whiteline + 2mm front, + 1mm or + 3mm rear

Neuspeed + 3mm front, + 4mm rear

H & R + 2mm front, + 5mm rear

or by comparison of Yeti OEM vs. Golf R alternate, there are variations of;-

Whiteline + 1mm front, + 2mm or + 4mm rear

Neuspeed + 2mm front, + 5mm rear

H & R + 1mm front, + 6mm rear

Food for thought ........

• Like 1

Thanks "Briskodian", That very handy info.

I wonder if the Std Golf-R ASB, 1mm bigger than the Std Yeti ASB is enough to make a difference?

I might check my WRX bars later today and see how much bigger White Line bar is to my Std. I know it made a fantastic difference.

I wonder if the arms might be a little shorter too as that would have the effect of more control.

Happy Days.

Thanks "Briskodian", That very handy info.

I wonder if the Std Golf-R ASB, 1mm bigger than the Std Yeti ASB is enough to make a difference?

Happy Days.

That thought had crossed my mind too; the step up to 26mm h&r bar being perhaps too much if done on its own.

22mm Whiteline bar may be the best option if rear bar only; but I really like the 'tech' of Teflon in the h&r bushes.

Quandry?

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 2

Bahnstormer - great info. :-) however, I wonder if your ARB's would be different to mine due to different engine weights up front?

Good point.

Only way to be sure will be to measure yours

Bahnstormer - great info. :-) however, I wonder if your ARB's would be different to mine due to different engine weights up front?

I somehow doubt it, but only way to be sure will be to measure your bars or cross check part numbers.

Just having a second, more thorough read over your post above with sizes... They are very interesting. As you say, it's interesting to see how different manufacturers play with the front to rear ratio compared to each other and to OE. Considering the thickness of the rear bar compared to standard, I'm thinking of setting both front and rear to 'soft' now. I'd *guess* that H&R would intend you to keep them the same ie both on soft or both on medium etc for a neutral handling balance and then expect you to change one to a firmer setting to encourage oversteer or understeer?!

Interesting to go back and reread this thread from the Octavia II forum of around 3 years ago;- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/112018-suspension-settings-octavia-2-08-tdi-vrs-fitting-a-rear-arb/page__hl__%20neuspeed%20%20sway as it very much mirrors our current comments on Yeti.

In particular there are stats of various options of;-

Octy vRS OEM - Front 23mm, Rear 22mm

H & R 1 (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 22mm (adjustable)

Eibach (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 23mm

Neuspeed (Golf V) - Front 25mm, Rear 25mm (adjustable)

H & R 2 (Golk V) - Front 28mm, Rear 24mm (adjustable)

APR (Golf V) - Front 27mm, rear 27mm (adjustable; up to 105% increase front, up to 200% increase rear)

Just found this really useful table;- http://www.whiteline...tins/BL-281.pdf

This will help answer Joel SHOEMARK's question of "I wonder if the Std Golf-R ASB, 1mm bigger than the Std Yeti ASB is enough to make a difference?"

Plus that Whiteline reckon on the following compatibility of their 22mm & 24mm rear sway bar;-

AUDI A3 MK2 8P FWD/AWD(7/04-ON)

AUDI Q3 FWD/AWD(6/11-ON)

AUDI S3 MK2 8P FWD/AWD(7/04-2012)

AUDI TT MK2 8J FWD/AWD(8/06-ON)

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R32 MK5 1K, 1KP AWD(8/2003-09)

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R MK6 5K AWD(2009-ON)

VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 5NC AWD(5/08-ON)

should we be adding Skoda Yeti?

Just found this really useful table;- http://www.whiteline...tins/BL-281.pdf

This will help answer Joel SHOEMARK's question of "I wonder if the Std Golf-R ASB, 1mm bigger than the Std Yeti ASB is enough to make a difference?"

Thanks mate, I only found this about 2 hours ago myself. I'm thinking the White Line 24mm adjustable will be the way to go with it adjusted on soft.

Happy Days.

Thanks mate, I only found this about 2 hours ago myself. I'm thinking the White Line 24mm adjustable will be the way to go with it adjusted on soft.

Happy Days.

Agreed; 22mm doesn't seem quite enough extra and 26mm (H & R) seems too much if having an uprated rear sway bar only (OK though if using front sway bar as well); but perhaps source a pair of H & R bushes for one of their 24mm bars to avoid having to re-grease.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, apologies for not updating the thread sooner.

Quick analysis for you; the handling is now on another level. Both bars have been set to the softest of the settings and if I say I havent been able to induce any roll on the road Im not exagerating. It corners flat, simple as that. Do also remember however that I had all the rubber bushes replaced with Polybushes as the same time. This is where Im gaining on feedback and a sharper turn in but the bars are responsible for the outright handling id wager. Also, considering Im on pretty end of life rubber and havent yet had an alignment done (for good reason) ;-) in the dry, I cant get it to loose traction in corners either. Communication through the wheel has gone up ten fold - this is probably due to a combination of the bars and the polybushes. I now have a better 'link' to what each wheel on the car is doing when 'pushing on'. Ive never enjoyed the local country lanes before like I do now... a Cooper S didnt see what way I went last night and I do believe he was trying. All in all, a crossover vehicle has no right being this good!

• Like 2

Hi guys, apologies for not updating the thread sooner.

Quick analysis for you; the handling is now on another level. Both bars have been set to the softest of the settings and if I say I havent been able to induce any roll on the road Im not exagerating. It corners flat, simple as that. Do also remember however that I had all the rubber bushes replaced with Polybushes as the same time. This is where Im gaining on feedback and a sharper turn in but the bars are responsible for the outright handling id wager. Also, considering Im on pretty end of life rubber and havent yet had an alignment done (for good reason) ;-) in the dry, I cant get it to loose traction in corners either. Communication through the wheel has gone up ten fold - this is probably due to a combination of the bars and the polybushes. I now have a better 'link' to what each wheel on the car is doing when 'pushing on'. Ive never enjoyed the local country lanes before like I do now... a Cooper S didnt see what way I went last night and I do believe he was trying. All in all, a crossover vehicle has no right being this good!

H&R 3-way adjustable ARB's, fully Polybushed

All this sounds interesting, but can you quickly summarise what you have done with costs

are the standard arb's on your vehicle, the 1.8 petrol 4x4 Yeti, the same as on the Diesel 140bhp 4x4 Yeti - sorry if you have already mentioned this but I just cannot see it.

I consider the road holding on the standard Yeti to be only average, (cannot understand the earlier comments which say it does not need improvement - as to me it holds the road like a pig and understeers significantly with the heavy diesel lump over the front wheels).......... if fitting an uprated rear arb improves this then I think that it must be worth doing.

By the way are your, (improved handling comments), applicable to the 16" winters or the 17" wheels

Well done

Edited by BillN_33

H&R 3-way adjustable ARB's, fully Polybushed

All this sounds interesting, but can you quickly summarise what you have done with costs

are the standard arb's on your vehicle, the 1.8 petrol 4x4 Yeti, the same as on the Diesel 140bhp 4x4 Yeti - sorry if you have already mentioned this but I just cannot see it.

I consider the road holding on the standard Yeti to be only average, (cannot understand the earlier comments which say it does not need improvement - as to me it holds the road like a pig and understeers significantly with the heavy diesel lump over the front wheels).......... if fitting an uprated rear arb improves this then I think that it must be worth doing.

By the way are your, (improved handling comments), applicable to the 16" winters or the 17" wheels

Well done

It's probably asker to take a read of my project journal regarding what I've done, saves me duplicating the information. Im unsure of whether or not the petrol and diesel factory fit bars differ. Mine are now in the shed so I'll get the measure out later in the week and get the details posted.

I've never found the handing of the Yeti below average. Grip is very good, at least with the 1800cc and I certainly felt he 1200 tsi was slightly more nimble but also pretty grippy at the front. I've driven a 170tdi Yeti fairly hard and you can definetly feel the additional weight at the front, in the bends but I can't say i had it under steering. Then again I drove that on unfamiliar roads - I wasn't pushing it to the extreme.

Everything above relates to the Dunlop Sport 01's in 17" format. 16" wheels no longer fit.

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know....

Wondered if anyone knew the standard ARB sizes on a CR170 Yeti ?

I have seen it typed that it has the same as the Mk5 Golf R32. Have a google for that maybe

In reality diameter will tell you very little, whether it is hollow or solid and how stiff the material it is made from will determine how well it controls the cars lean.

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread again.

According to parts catalogues (EG: http://vagfans.info/EN/skoda/CZ/YET/Yeti/2011/666/R/501/501030/track-rod-coupling-rod-anti-roll-bar )

the rear ARB on the 4wd Yeti is 19.6/2.6 (19.6mm diameter, with wall thickness of 2.6mm).

Looking through parts catalogues for the Tiguan (EG: http://vagfans.info/EN/volkswagen/RDW/TIG/Tiguan/2011/634/R/501/501030/track-rod-coupling-rod-anti-roll-bar)

the Tig 4motion has ARBs of either 20.7/2.8, or 21.7/3.0.

They should be a direct fit, look completely OEM and are hollow so shouldn't add an extra weight.

But, what effect would a 1mm or 2mm increase on the rear bar have ?

My aim is not a dramatic change, just a mildish reduction in understeer.

Edited by muddyboots

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread again.According to parts catalogues (EG: http://vagfans.info/EN/skoda/CZ/YET/Yeti/2011/666/R/501/501030/track-rod-coupling-rod-anti-roll-bar )the rear ARB on the 4wd Yeti is 19.6/2.6 (19.6mm diameter, with wall thickness of 2.6mm).Looking through parts catalogues for the Tiguan (EG: http://vagfans.info/EN/volkswagen/RDW/TIG/Tiguan/2011/634/R/501/501030/track-rod-coupling-rod-anti-roll-bar)the Tig 4motion has ARBs of either 20.7/2.8, or 21.7/3.0.They should be a direct fit, look completely OEM and are hollow so shouldn't add an extra weight.But, what effect would a 1mm or 2mm increase on the rear bar have ?My aim is not a dramatic change, just a mildish reduction in understeer.

Did you ever find a solution with this one? I've got a rear bar from a Mk6 Golf R but can't decide if to fit or stay as is with the Eibachs and Bilsteins.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been looking at these again.

Started looking at Q3 rarbs as there were a couple on Ebay, but then noticed the bars on the Yeti/Tiguan appear to have a small kink in them to clear the exhaust - the Q3 ones didn't seem to have that.

So just bought one off of a 2010 Tiguan 170 4x4; this has a 21.7mm diameter / 3mm thickness compared to the Yeti's 19.6/2.6.

Only wanting a mild improvement, so will give it a go.

They seem to go for around £40-50 incl postage and that includes brackets and bushes too.

Part number quoted in the advert is 3C0 511 305 D.

Edited by muddyboots
  • Like 4