Rear Washer not working

I'd check that fluid is coming out of the pump outlet by disconnecting the pipe from it and operating the pump, if it is then it's either a break in the piping somewhere from there to the back washer jet or a blockage?

Is there any water in the reservoir? ;)

Have the same problem .

It started after the big freezer last year. when i try it water seems to be dripping from the interior .so yes i think the interior needs to come of and just reconnect.

Just cant work out how to remove the interior can see one nut on the rubber pull down.

Is it that easy ?

I know their are clips but is this the only nut to remove don't want to damage anything . i think the tube came loss in the weather.

Taxi-aid.

In the 3 years I owned my A5 Octavia, my rear washer was never much cop!! I took the nozzle off the wiper, cleaned it thoroughly and even ran through the centre with a 1.5mm drill to clear it out.

Tested the wiper without the nozzle and it washed the top of the car! Put the nozzle back on. Nothing! Ordered a new one and the dealer said Skoda UK couldnt get any replacement nozzles for the rear wiper!

Ho-Hum.

Grahame

As mikeholroyd says there are plenty of threads, so do a search. It seems the problem is caused because the fluid has become diluted and does not have enough anti-freeze solution in it, hence it freezes, expands and the joints pull apart. This usually happens where the pipe joins the nozzle and the hatch cover will need to come off to fix it.

Also, there are threads that explain how to get the hatch cover off and VrsStu (search for his profile) may have something on his website.

Hope this helps

Mac

2 quick places to check. Spray it once or twice then check around the boot lock for water (there's a connection going into motor). If not there check around spare wheel (there's a connection on left wheel arch...need to pull back carpet).

I think there the 2 most common places.

Just thought I'd chip in cos I fixed mine yesterday...56 plate hatch. I'd had no skooshies for a few weeks...basically since it came back from a stealer service and so it was definitely filled with the right spec washer fluid but hey that's just bad luck eh???

Anyway, no water coming out of mine at all...took off the jets and still next to nothing but did notice some rust coloured staining around the base of the wiper so it looked like a blockage was possible. Since I couldn't get any water to appear i started looking at taking the tailgate trim off - what a pure bitch that looks to be! Wasn't getting very far and the carpets in the boot, spare wheel etc were dry so had my fingers crossed the pipes hadn't popped off. So...final roll of the dice...stuck a handpump with a football adaptor into the nozzle and gave it a healthy pumping :D. Cue lots of spraying of rusty fluid and lumps of dirty looking gunk everywhere. Did this a few more times whilst making sure I was hosing the horribleness off the paintwork. Took the wee mini nozzle thing into the garage and seperated 1 strand from a bike brake cable and poked it through the wee jets to reveal yet more rusty crap and then sprayed through with some carb cleaner type stuff and re-assembled. Hey presto...working washer again!! Well chuffed that it's sorted before winter without having to resort to breaking trim or taking it a to a dealer :)

Clearly a crap design but in my case a diy fix so I'm happy. Thought some of these ideas might be worth a try for others...good luck!

Thanks for all the info guys, I will have a good furtle about and see if I can find any leaks :)

and sman, I'll try that pump thing too, does sound like crap design if they are getting corrosion inside a washer jet :wonder:

Clearly a crap design but in my case a diy fix so I'm happy. Thought some of these ideas might be worth a try for others...good luck!

Makes you wonder where all the rusty stuff was coming from? Inside the nozzle? Inside the pump? Or was it just some poor water supply used to dilute the screenwash. OTOH old WD40 can look like rust, if someone's squirted that inside in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Just done mine on sunday , the pipe had come off the back of the nozzle , had to remove the hatch trim , its a complete git , just to double check i did the carpet out and checked the connection in the wheel arch , super glued the pair of them and siliconed all round , they wont come off again, wasnt a problem in the summer but it was a git at the beginning of the year and i reckoned i could'nt put it off any longer.

I had the dealer look at it as it was in for a service on Friday, the nozzle was completely clogged so I suspect the corrosion mentioned above.

One £4.98 nozzle, which they luckily had in stock, free labour and it now works perfectly :D

Thanks to Clock Garage, Spondon, Derby :thumbup:

Had my last Octavia for 3 years. The only time the rear wash worked was just after I cleaned the jets. The next time I needed to use it in anger - jets blocked again!

I never had any pipes blow apart - it was always the jets getting blocked. The whole area under the cover at the base of the wiper arm just seems to attract mud!

Used 'em on the new Octavia this morning - got the shock of my life - 2 jets of water hit the back window. Is that supposed to happen? :giggle:

Edited by eccleshill

I had the dealer look at it as it was in for a service on Friday, the nozzle was completely clogged so I suspect the corrosion mentioned above.

One £4.98 nozzle, which they luckily had in stock, free labour and it now works perfectly :D

Thanks to Clock Garage, Spondon, Derby :thumbup:

I should hope it is free labour - to change it: lift cover at base of wiper arm, clip off old jet, clip on new jet, replace cover. No more than 20 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...