Octy 2.0 VRS Estate - Anything to be aware of?

Morning all. Joined briskoda ages ago when I was looking for a Fabia VRS and bought a Civic instead but after a few years in the wilderness, I'm back as I'm hopefully buying an 06 plate Octy VRS estate tomorrow (the 2.0 petrol one).

So, I was just wondering if theres anything particular I need to look out for? When are the major things like cambelts etc needed to be done and how much will that set me back? Car has done just under 60k.

Any help appreciated!

Dave

Dave, good choice, fabulous cars, and the petrol is a gem of an engine!

Ideally the cambelt should have been done by now.

Good luck!

If the belt hasn't been done, there's lots on here about costs / where to get it done. Do a search.

Probably worth getting the water pump replaced at the same time.

Morning all. Joined briskoda ages ago when I was looking for a Fabia VRS and bought a Civic instead but after a few years in the wilderness, I'm back as I'm hopefully buying an 06 plate Octy VRS estate tomorrow (the 2.0 petrol one).

So, I was just wondering if theres anything particular I need to look out for? When are the major things like cambelts etc needed to be done and how much will that set me back? Car has done just under 60k.

Any help appreciated!

Dave

The ABS / ESP Unit is a VERY common failure around this age. Worth seeing if this has been replaced (yet!)

Can be pricey, just do a search on this site for more gen on it.

I have an 06 petrol vrs and it runs and drives great and the engine is fantastic.

Awesome, especially when they look as good as this......

5060064255_50bf40019b.jpg

Untitled by sdwilliams72, on Flickr

I'm losing my Race Blue Octy H/B VRS next April as its a company car and the company I work for has gone all tree hugger on me so now I have to have something that emits less that 140gms CO2...Still want an Octy estate (wanted the VRS in estate but couldn't justify the extra lease cost) so I'm now thinking 1.6 CR TDI DSG Estate in Elegance spec with 17"s...It'll be no VRS but if I want to keep under the 140 and keep my speed then it'll mean going over to the dark side and getting something like the new Astra 2.0 CDTI 160bhp or Alfa Romeo Guilietta 2.0 JTD 170bhp...Or I could just admit defeat and go for a Superb Est 1.6 CR TDI...It won't set the world on fire but it'll be comfortable and very practical...Did I just say practical...Must go and check for grey hair..

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread...Good luck with the VRS...Amazing car....Not much to look out for really....Just a few points though, ask if there have been any problems with the header unit making a banging noise and switching off (known issue) if you're test driving it check the cruise control to make sure it stays on (another know issue) and check if the seal at the top of the drivers door leaks (another know issue)...Apart from that check if there are any cosmetic surgeons around to make sure you don't damage your face with the permanent grin from pressing the accelerator :rofl:

Love the pic of the estate by the way...Bas&*ds :'(

Cheers all. Looking forward to the test drive and I'll make a note of those points. Its through a main dealer and its yet to go through the workshop but will do before I buy. Gives me a bargaining tool maybe...

No probs...The Cruise issue was definately still around in 06 models and mines an 08 and had the Header unit prob but like you say its a main dealer so he should be aware of them too...And as for the seal, I regularly end up with wet trousers driving in the rain...Somtimes its even caused by the leak :D

60k 4yr you'll be due Cambelt / water pump, brake fluid, pollen filter.

Teves60 ABS modules is the big worry.

Popping stereo is a firmware fix which has probably been done by now.

I've a 3yr old 38k TFSI and (touch wood) it hasn't missed a beat. It only gets fed Super unleaded just in case.

Just thought I'd let you all know, its now mine! Nothing at all wrong with it and its absolutely brilliant. A load nicer and well built than my old Mondeo ST TDCI and bloody hell, a LOT quicker.

You'll grow to love it even more! Glad you're pleased. Enjoy!