Fabia 1.6 CR TDI 90bhp appalling fuel consumption

Good to hear even new the car is a good drive and the ride is smooth, I did wonder if the 45 profile tyres would make the ride firm.

My Audi 1.9tdi is doing about 2200rpm at 70mph so lower geared than the 1.6TDI CR.

It will be interesting when you have done say 2000 miles if you actually work out the average mpg to compare with computer.

My Audi's average by the computer is 51-52mpg but I calculate around 48.

I will be very happy if after 5000miles the Fabia is averaging over 55mpg for the same journeys.

Hi delta925,very smooth confy car the fabia OK not as smooth as my superb2 but still smooth enough for me and the missus,she's given the furby 9/10 so she's happyB),I am really suprised how economical this engine is from day one,I have a 08 1.4tdi which I love to bits but this new fabia is so different smoother,comfy, quiet and so put well together:thumbup:

Seb, that's great news buddy. Glad you are pleased with it and so smooth it is. I agree. The ones I have driven have also impressed me with the performance and smoothness.

Ive found that thius engine you only get real decent comsumption if the engine has a decent amount of time to run and warm through. Had to go over to Adamsons today as I have a defective bootlock and needs replacing under warranty. Thats a journey of about 40 miles round trip from Hythe and was broken in Dover on the way and Folkestone on the way back and consumption finished at 55 mpg by the time I returned home.

Cars now done 3700 miles. The refinement continues to impress.

Regards

Grahame

Edited by threadbear

Ive found that thius engine you only get real decent comsumption if the engine has a decent amount of time to run and warm through. Had to go over to Adamsons today as I have a defective bootlock and needs replacing under warranty. Thats a journey of about 40 miles round trip from Hythe and was broken in Dover on the way and Folkestone on the way back and consumption finished at 55 mpg by the time I returned home.

Cars now done 3700 miles. The refinement continues to impress.

Regards

Grahame

Yes with any car you've got to do a few miles until it warms up,then the miles per gallon keeps on going up n up,thing is though all these members saying they are getting terrible mph?,must be down to there driving?this car with 11 miles on the clock was doing late 50's I am a bit confused to be honest,a slow driver I am not but careful I tend to be i.e,steady take off from a standing start then steady through the gears,not driving to close to the vehicle in front so giving me enough time to use the engine/gearbox to slow down rather than applying the brakes,traffic lights slow down and amble up to them rather than race up to them,when going down hill leave engine in gear no use of right hand pedal and let it roll and finally when on a good road dual or motorway switch the cruise control on at 60-65mph and relax,never ever decide that you want a race it will cost you,over the years driving for me has become a bit of an excerise in fuel saving,the biggest thing I have noticed if you have lead in your shoes and go like a scalded cat,1 you will swallow a load of expensive fuel and 2nd you dont get there any bloody sooner, so lesson for today is calmly and gently but mostly with eyes transfixed on the fuel used thingy in the middle!!!!!

Yes with any car you've got to do a few miles until it warms up,then the miles per gallon keeps on going up n up,thing is though all these members saying they are getting terrible mph?,must be down to there driving?this car with 11 miles on the clock was doing late 50's I am a bit confused to be honest,a slow driver I am not but careful I tend to be i.e,steady take off from a standing start then steady through the gears,not driving to close to the vehicle in front so giving me enough time to use the engine/gearbox to slow down rather than applying the brakes,traffic lights slow down and amble up to them rather than race up to them,when going down hill leave engine in gear no use of right hand pedal and let it roll and finally when on a good road dual or motorway switch the cruise control on at 60-65mph and relax,never ever decide that you want a race it will cost you,over the years driving for me has become a bit of an excerise in fuel saving,the biggest thing I have noticed if you have lead in your shoes and go like a scalded cat,1 you will swallow a load of expensive fuel and 2nd you dont get there any bloody sooner, so lesson for today is calmly and gently but mostly with eyes transfixed on the fuel used thingy in the middle!!!!!

Good advice Seb! Thinking ahead with some restraint on the right foot makes a huge difference.

Agree with the points above. The last car I owned before the Roomster was a Saab 2.3 aero petrol - 250 bhp. Every week I would fill up with £60-70 which was painful.(and that was at 1.10 per litre! )

I realised that after the initial fun accelerating up to 60-70mph (and it always put a smile on my face with the power) what was the point? By the time I reached a junction the car I passed was sitting behind me anyway. So many times this happened and thought instead of 25-30mpg at 60mph I might as well change to a car travelling the same speed but returning 55-65mpg. The new car would pay for itself and 3 years of no repair bills or mots etc.

This has been the best move for me in years and I am really inpressed with the 1.6 105 diesel from Skoda. Very smooth and it feels like it has more low down torque than the old Saab. Amazing for the size of engine. I miiss the Saab but not the fuel or repair bills.

Agree with the points above. The last car I owned before the Roomster was a Saab 2.3 aero petrol - 250 bhp. Every week I would fill up with £60-70 which was painful.(and that was at 1.10 per litre! )

I realised that after the initial fun accelerating up to 60-70mph (and it always put a smile on my face with the power) what was the point? By the time I reached a junction the car I passed was sitting behind me anyway. So many times this happened and thought instead of 25-30mpg at 60mph I might as well change to a car travelling the same speed but returning 55-65mpg. The new car would pay for itself and 3 years of no repair bills or mots etc.

This has been the best move for me in years and I am really inpressed with the 1.6 105 diesel from Skoda. Very smooth and it feels like it has more low down torque than the old Saab. Amazing for the size of engine. I miiss the Saab but not the fuel or repair bills.

I did fleetingly have a look at the new saab but thought better of it,I have part -ex'd my beautiful superb 2 silver metallic 1.9tdi for this latest fabia 1.6cr tdi 105bhp elegance model with several extra toys,sat nav projector curve headlights and esp plus , I had some reservations coming from the superb in regards the comfort level and fuel economy,no worries it surpasses my expectations comfy and economic plus only £20 road tax,once the engine has loosened up a bit this fabia will eat the miles very easy,stick it into cruise mode at around 70mphemoticon-0103-cool.gif kick back and relax

I did fleetingly have a look at the new saab but thought better of it,I have part -ex'd my beautiful superb 2 silver metallic 1.9tdi for this latest fabia 1.6cr tdi 105bhp elegance model with several extra toys,sat nav projector curve headlights and esp plus , I had some reservations coming from the superb in regards the comfort level and fuel economy,no worries it surpasses my expectations comfy and economic plus only £20 road tax,once the engine has loosened up a bit this fabia will eat the miles very easy,stick it into cruise mode at around 70mphemoticon-0103-cool.gif kick back and relax

Its surprising just how much of a difference driving style and type of journey has on economy.

To get near the quoted mpg figures you need a longer run at sub 70mph. I can take the country route to work (50 miles) leave earlier than I would and sort of amble along at 60 mph or below. 70 mpg easy in summer. Or as I did last week I threw some caution to the wind and blasted home (perfectly safely officer) making use of speeds with the number 8 in them on the motorway and dual carriageway. 57 mpg.

I can do better than this and pretty much get book figures. But the driving style is so dull. No weight in the car and using inertia as much as possible. Dont use the brakes unless you have to. Takes an age to get anywhere unless your cruising at speed all the time. I did get 82 mpg doing this as an experiment which is top end mpg quoted figures for my car but in reality this would drive me potty. Also bimbling along isnt going to keep the EGR and turbo vanes clean.

I end up finding a happy medium that balances hippy driving with progress to my destination. This usually returns around 67 mpg.

I am no eco warrior. I just dont like giving the chancellor my hard earned cash in fuel duty any more than I have to.

Its surprising just how much of a difference driving style and type of journey has on economy.

To get near the quoted mpg figures you need a longer run at sub 70mph. I can take the country route to work (50 miles) leave earlier than I would and sort of amble along at 60 mph or below. 70 mpg easy in summer. Or as I did last week I threw some caution to the wind and blasted home (perfectly safely officer) making use of speeds with the number 8 in them on the motorway and dual carriageway. 57 mpg.

I can do better than this and pretty much get book figures. But the driving style is so dull. No weight in the car and using inertia as much as possible. Dont use the brakes unless you have to. Takes an age to get anywhere unless your cruising at speed all the time. I did get 82 mpg doing this as an experiment which is top end mpg quoted figures for my car but in reality this would drive me potty. Also bimbling along isnt going to keep the EGR and turbo vanes clean.

I end up finding a happy medium that balances hippy driving with progress to my destination. This usually returns around 67 mpg.

I am no eco warrior. I just dont like giving the chancellor my hard earned cash in fuel duty any more than I have to.

Yes agree with most you said but I do tend to get mesmerized by the maxi-dot fuel gauge emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif so I may need to give it a little more rpm to keep the pipes clean,once millers and redex say its ok to use with dpf i will start adding this twice a year to help me in this processemoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Yes agree with most you said but I do tend to get mesmerized by the maxi-dot fuel gauge emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif so I may need to give it a little more rpm to keep the pipes clean,once millers and redex say its ok to use with dpf i will start adding this twice a year to help me in this processemoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I used to be like that with my mpg display. In the interests of self preservation as well as not wanting to run in to anyone else I dont leave the display on mpg. The instantaneous mpg moves around so much anyway its pointless. I just look at my average at journeys end.

I expect there are a few people who have had a smash or near miss by fixating on the mpg readout.

I used to be like that with my mpg display. In the interests of self preservation as well as not wanting to run in to anyone else I dont leave the display on mpg. The instantaneous mpg moves around so much anyway its pointless. I just look at my average at journeys end.

I expect there are a few people who have had a smash or near miss by fixating on the mpg readout.

emoticon-0148-yes.gifdefinate Iam one of these I will have to stop emoticon-0103-cool.gif

WOW 64.2 mpg!!!!!,170 miles on the clock cruise set to 60mph on dual carriage way,plus some a&b roads but mostly on dual about 70miles round trip,even got the diesel for £1.30.9 per litre so fill her upemoticon-0136-giggle.gif,when the summer diesel arrives god knows what I will be getting,chuffed to bits with this fabia comfy and frugal emoticon-0148-yes.gif

WOW 64.2 mpg!!!!!,170 miles on the clock cruise set to 60mph on dual carriage way,plus some a&b roads but mostly on dual about 70miles round trip,even got the diesel for £1.30.9 per litre so fill her upemoticon-0136-giggle.gif,when the summer diesel arrives god knows what I will be getting,chuffed to bits with this fabia comfy and frugal emoticon-0148-yes.gif

A happy 1.6 cr customer.......

Have you done a brim to brim fuel mpg calculation yet ? I only ask as this sets a sort of baseline for the accuracy of the onboard mpg computer.

If you already have and thats a net figure then nice one !!!

Mine over reads by 7mpg but others report the 1.6 CR mpg computer to be accurate

A happy 1.6 cr customer.......

Have you done a brim to brim fuel mpg calculation yet ? I only ask as this sets a sort of baseline for the accuracy of the onboard mpg computer.

If you already have and thats a net figure then nice one !!!

Mine over reads by 7mpg but others report the 1.6 CR mpg computer to be accurate

No not brim to brim,apparently the on-board computer is very accurate just filled up today so I will do a brim to brim,this will take some time though as I tend to use the other fabia for day to day use,so this tank full will last at least a monthemoticon-0103-cool.gif

64 mpg at 60 mph is nothing exceptional . I could get 68mpg from my old '99 MK4 Golf TDI (110 bhp) at 60 mph over a complete tankful brim full to brim full. (670 miles with quite a bit spare before re-fill). This was over dual carriageways & rural roads.But I wouldn't want to drive this way all the time ( boring). This was done as an experiment to see what mpg I could get. This was over two 60 mile journeys each day to work over a week with a little running around locally at the end of the week.

At 60 mph I would expect an economy engine like the 1.6TDI to achieve at least 70mpg. If I could get over 60mpg at 70mph on a long motorway trip in my MK6 1.6TDI Golf (105bhp) I would be satisfied , but the best I can do is about 54 -56mpg which is about the same as I used to achieve in my old MK4 1.9TDI Golf at a slightly higher speed. At 56mph the old MK4 Golf was EPA rated at 76mpg .

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

64 mpg at 60 mph is nothing exceptional . I could get 68mpg from my old '99 MK4 Golf TDI (110 bhp) at 60 mph over a complete tankful brim full to brim full. (670 miles with quite a bit spare before re-fill). This was over dual carriageways & rural roads.But I wouldn't want to drive this way all the time ( boring). This was done as an experiment to see what mpg I could get. This was over two 60 mile journeys each day to work over a week with a little running around locally at the end of the week.

At 60 mph I would expect an economy engine like the 1.6TDI to achieve at least 70mpg. If I could get over 60mpg at 70mph on a long motorway trip in my MK6 1.6TDI Golf (105bhp) I would be satisfied , but the best I can do is about 54 -56mpg which is about the same as I used to achieve in my old MK4 1.9TDI Golf at a slightly higher speed. At 56mph the old MK4 Golf was EPA rated at 76mpg .

Hi from a engine with only 170miles on the clock!!,I will easily get 70mpg when she loosens up,for me 60 mph is fast enough in todays climate with diesel expected to reach £1.50 litre every penny helps,plus by going any faster in theory you don't get any sooner,you only get held up in traffic or stressedemoticon-0103-cool.gif

And I could get over 75mpg out of my 1987 Peugeot 205 GRD but that was built out of balsa wood and todays cars are much heavier and more importantly much safer and have much more kit on them. Plus there were no concessions to emissions and fuel was different to todays as well ... in comparison the best I've managed is 64.2mpg on the trip computer on my Golf 1.9 TDI over a 100 mile motorway run .

This thread runs and runs...

Bit of feedback from satisfied CR1.6 owner. Now on 2000miles, the engine does seem happier at lower revs, and generally very relaxing and easy to drive (like the new polo I drove that persuaded me to give the fabia a go). Just been out to west wales, M4 and A roads, 67mpg out and 65mpg back - there is a big 50mph section through Newport which is prob why better than my 60-62ish norm for motorways (at 65-70). To check the computer, the tank fill came out at 62mpg - and the computer only read about 0.7mpg higher (it always seems about 1mpg higher, but no more).

This thread runs and runs...

Bit of feedback from satisfied CR1.6 owner. Now on 2000miles, the engine does seem happier at lower revs, and generally very relaxing and easy to drive (like the new polo I drove that persuaded me to give the fabia a go). Just been out to west wales, M4 and A roads, 67mpg out and 65mpg back - there is a big 50mph section through Newport which is prob why better than my 60-62ish norm for motorways (at 65-70). To check the computer, the tank fill came out at 62mpg - and the computer only read about 0.7mpg higher (it always seems about 1mpg higher, but no more).

Hi my cruise control set at 60 mph never more even on motorways I hate going to quickly,seems to give me better results:thumbup:

Yes, speed makes a big difference - quick googling came up with interesting article in german mag measuring fuel consumption at different speeds (esp for the Autobahn). They must have spent quite a while driving round a track to get all these results. It's in German but the graphs in the slide show are clear enough. Looking at the golf tdi - thinking it'd be simpler - and then adjusting for the sort of mpg we seem to be looking at - if you get 64mpg at 60mph, this will drop to around 58mpg at 70mph. (And if you drive a Cayenne Turbo S flat out at 170mph you'll do 4 mpg)

Yes, speed makes a big difference - quick googling came up with interesting article in german mag measuring fuel consumption at different speeds (esp for the Autobahn). They must have spent quite a while driving round a track to get all these results. It's in German but the graphs in the slide show are clear enough. Looking at the golf tdi - thinking it'd be simpler - and then adjusting for the sort of mpg we seem to be looking at - if you get 64mpg at 60mph, this will drop to around 58mpg at 70mph. (And if you drive a Cayenne Turbo S flat out at 170mph you'll do 4 mpg)

If you are willing to accept a few approximations.......

To go from 60 to 70 mph increases drag on the car by about 25 percent. Thats the engine working about 15 percent harder for a measly 10 mph. (at motorway speeds drag accounts for around 60-65 percent of an engines output). So a car doing 65 mpg at 60 mph loses nearly 10mpg if you then drive at 70 mph

All you budding Stephen Hawking brains out there can shoot my simplified maths down easily but the basic formula is sound.

If the published mpg figures for cars are calculated at 55 mph then its a no brainer that economy falls off a cliff above that speed.

Many mixed reports for the 1.6CR economy. A few more folks are now giving reports of reasonable mpg. Maybe my 1.4 TDI wont be the last diesel I own.....

Also while I can't find any definitive writen evidence at the moment to back this up I believe that current MPG figures are done in a lab on a rolling road so the aero is at best theoretical if its taken into acount properly at all, as I'm not convinced that many manufactures do proper wind tunnel work these days, all computer simulated.

A very good description without clouding the issue with to much maths

As Clarkson says do not brake. If you brake then stab yourself with a pin to set a Pavlovian response and start to drive thinking 2 or 3 times further ahead than you probably are doing.

We get 60 mpg out of Octy Mk 1 1.9D 130 hp Estate, 45 mpg out of the 1.8 TSI DSG and 40 mpg out of the TSI VRS. Tyres are kept at maximum displayed on the filler cap (unless the ride feels really choppy and then back off by a couple of psi). Try not to carry to much cr*p in boot especially if one does much town driving.

All the Skoda diesels do fairly similar consumption, ie about 50 mpg if not careful and all the TSI do around 40 mpg under the same conditions. These cars weight about a ton and half when semi loaded. Until hybrid, stop-start and the chasis lightening that is going on in Audis filters though to Skoda this is where we are.

Edited by lol

I have a Golf Mk 6 2.0 TDi CR 140 and it's fuel economy is good. On a long run I now tend to get between 45 - 52/53 mpg out of it. On rare occasions i'll see late 50's (have seen 60.1 once!) but thats usually when i'm following constant moving but extremely slow traffic for 10 miles on my journey home from work!

Without doubt the fuel economy gets much better once the car has a few miles under its belt (mines now done 23K miles)

To give you a good comparison I had a few Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi 150 SRI XP's a couple of years back (on short term lease) and they would only just about crack 40, but they could be forgiven as they were bloody quick, if terribly built by comparison to the Golf!

I feel there is something wrong with my car,thing is how can it be so good and some are very unhappy with their car,today got on the A55 and took her up to 80ish and the RPM was only 2,000 how the hell can she be doing this the superb 2 1.9tdi only did 60 at 2,000rpm,and red lining at the same point I am looking forward once run in to red line her to see how far I can take it over the max speed stated,I wonder how fast she will goemoticon-0110-tongueout.gif