Door sill entry protection query

Bassa

Has anyone fitted the black protectors? Are they any good? Are they just plain black, or do they have a logo etc on them?

Just seen these ones for sale on SuperSkoda that have Yeti, and foot prints on them.

kda630002le4.jpg

Has anyone fitted the black protectors? Are they any good? Are they just plain black, or do they have a logo etc on them?

Just seen these ones for sale on SuperSkoda that have Yeti, and foot prints on them.

Merlinman has those very ones on his Yeti. :yes:

I have read the comments regarding the vulnerability of door sills to scuffing.

I always take care not to stand on or rub the soles of my shoes on the sill but have no control over how the passengers get in and out.

The front passenger sill on mine was scratched, removing the paint, within days of getting it. I touching it up with Skoda touch-up but found it impossible to get it right...texture and metallic effect don't match. Until I had all 4 sills covered with clear plastic protective film it was a case of asking everyone who got in and out to," Please take care not to touch the sills with your shoes". WHAT A PAIN!

So my advice would be to do likewise cos plastic is cheaper than re-painting.

As a soft roader Skoda should have protected the sills as standard like they should have done likewise with the rear arches but didn't until enough people had sustained damage and moaned loudly enough! Surely a 50 mile trip on gravel would have revealed that weakness during development and testing or did the off road testing take place on a freshly hoovered carpet!

As a postscript I would also suggest owners look closely at the A/C condenser matrix visible through the opening below the bumper. I bet you'll find stone damage. That's another issue that should have been spotted and sorted during development. I dread to think how much a new one will cost to buy and have fitted but someone will soon be able to tell us... unlucky b***er.

Why buy a Yeti in the first place if youre worried about a few wee scuffs on the paintwork ?. Its a softroader after all.Buy it and enjoy its capabilities otherwise get a normal estate and a cheap old Landy for your off roading. When you come to trade in a year or two down the line how much will all these `extras` be worth something approaching zero. Or have I not got the point of buying a Yeti ?.

Why buy a Yeti in the first place if youre worried about a few wee scuffs on the paintwork ?. Its a softroader after all.Buy it and enjoy its capabilities otherwise get a normal estate and a cheap old Landy for your off roading. When you come to trade in a year or two down the line how much will all these `extras` be worth something approaching zero. Or have I not got the point of buying a Yeti ?.

You dont have my view point but thats the beauty of differing opinions and online forums I guess.

Ive taken mine off road more than most but I use a great deal of mechanical sympathy when doing it. I want the car to remain looking good and at the end of the day its 26k worth of metal - all of which Ive worked very hard to afford.

Protection extras dont help the resale value? Maybe. But scratches, dings and dents will do far worse for the resale value surely? ;)

• Like 1

You dont have my view point but thats the beauty of differing opinions and online forums I guess.

Ive taken mine off road more than most but I use a great deal of mechanical sympathy when doing it. I want the car to remain looking good and at the end of the day its 26k worth of metal - all of which Ive worked very hard to afford.

Protection extras dont help the resale value? Maybe. But scratches, dings and dents will do far worse for the resale value surely? ;)

+1 :thumbup:

• Like 1

+2 :thumbup:

• Like 1

Decided to fit the standard Black Door sill protectors from Skoda - Didnt see the benefit in the extra cost of the metal ones considering the doors arnt open for long, these ones cost £20 for a complete set front and back doors.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Edited by AHarrold

They look pretty good and will do the job. I'll be asking my dealer to order them in for mine...when it finally arrives :yes:

Do you have the part number for the set?

Edited by dds

They look pretty good and will do the job. I'll be asking my dealer to order them in for mine...when it finally arrives :yes:

Do you have the part number for the set?

Black Set - KDA630001 Roughly around £20 for a complete set to do 4 x sills

Chromed Set - KDA630002 Roughly around £70 for a complete set to do 4 x sills

Decided to fit the standard Black Door sill protectors from Skoda - Didnt see the benefit in the extra cost of the metal ones considering the doors arnt open for long, these ones cost £20 for a complete set front and back doors.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

I actually prefer the low key discreet appearance of the black plastic ones plus its £25 versus £75 for the stainless steel on plastic ones. However their durability is of concern since they would scratch more easily/deeper than the stainless steel surfaced ones IMO. They are only a third of the price though. Personally not too keen on the stainless steel footprint ones.

Should be fitted standard in any case, you can control your own feet but not those of passengers.

I actually prefer the low key discreet appearance of the black plastic ones plus its £25 versus £75 for the stainless steel on plastic ones. However their durability is of concern since they would scratch more easily/deeper than the stainless steel surfaced ones IMO. They are only a third of the price though. Personally not too keen on the stainless steel footprint ones.

Should be fitted standard in any case, you can control your own feet but not those of passengers.

If its to much a concern for scratches on them when you come to sell, either take them off, or replace them with a new set :D

Black Set - KDA630001 Roughly around £20 for a complete set to do 4 x sills

Chromed Set - KDA630002 Roughly around £70 for a complete set to do 4 x sills

Black set for me...ta much! :thumbup:

If its to much a concern for scratches on them when you come to sell, either take them off, or replace them with a new set :D

You have a point there, spoken like a true Aberdonian ? :giggle:

Should have mentioned if fitting yourself then there is a template thats available. I never used it and just fitted from eye, and pre-placing on the car without the adhesive.

Easy enough to do, but if you want the template the Skoda part number is KDA630010

Should have mentioned if fitting yourself then there is a template thats available. I never used it and just fitted from eye, and pre-placing on the car without the adhesive.

Easy enough to do, but if you want the template the Skoda part number is KDA630010

I too found them very easy to fit without the template. Don't waste your money!

I too found them very easy to fit without the template. Don't waste your money!

My sentiments entirely, it appeared to me that the template would hardly be necessary. A clean polish free surface is though, have some isopropyl alcohol wipes somewhere to achieve that.

Is there any danger of water lodging behind the sill protectors and eventually causing rust (as used to happen on cars years ago)? I'm particularly aware that, before fitting, you have to clean off any polish that was previously protecting the paint.

Another option would be to get some clear 3M film & apply that instead (the sort of stuff the elusive rear door protectors are made of). Mind you, I doubt it would look as professional.

Edited by speedsport

Is there any danger of water lodging behind the sill protectors and eventually causing rust (as used to happen on cars years ago)? I'm particularly aware that, before fitting, you have to clean off any polish that was previously protecting the paint.

Another option would be to get some clear 3M film & apply that instead (the sort of stuff the elusive rear door protectors are made of). Mind you, I doubt it would look as professional.

I can't see there being any water problem.

In the past we fitted bits with metal push bits into other metal bits; result rust. Nowadays we stick or bond things, with no holes required.

Agreed about the 3M's stuff....must look for some "helicopter tape"