New Occy with Issues

Hi guys

I have owned my new white occy for 3 weeks and I adore the car to bits, I have done 1789miles, I have a few issues with the motor.

Now the day that I collected the car I was so excited and upset at the same time that I didn't see these little faults :( some people have told me just to get on with it and stop being so dam picky with your OCD's!!!! but my reply to that is I haven't spent 22k on a new motor to have these little gripes........SOOOOO I sent Skoda the below with pictures and I got a one liner back, "bring it in so warenty can look at it" which is fair enough :) has anyone else got these little snags?

1) Armrest console felt on the passenger side has not been applied correctly and is not flush to the rest and it is creased.

2) Rear seats – the center where it is leather does not seem to have been pulled taught and does not sit flat, I do not put anything on seats only bums and I have only had 2 passengers since I have collected the car and they both sat in the front.

3) Center console passenger side board/felt is not attached to the console correctly and there is a gap along with showing glue.

4) Center console drivers side board/felt is not attached to the console correctly

5) When the boot is opened water rolls off the lid and falls into the boot, I am not sure if this is a design fault or if anything can be done but I have to dry the car before closing the boot and it still steams up!!

6) When the boot is opened there is a black tubes that hold the wires on both sides, however the one on the offside, the bung that is attached to the mainframe is rubbing onto the paintwork and leaving a mark/rubbing the paint off/staining

7) The handbook folder – I took the books out to read them and as I placed them back into the folder the sides ripped, is there a possibility I could have a new folder that does not fall apart?

The worst issue is the boot opening puiring the water in there isn't anything that can be done, only carry my valet blade to take off excess water before I open the boot lid.

I just wanted to know has anyone else got these issues :(

Let me know what you all think :)

Thanks George

hi george

i have read a number of threads on this forum about point 5.

it appears to be a design fault that octavia drivers have to live with.

some owners have cured the problem with silicone sealant

The water is a problem I think we all have. A PITA but nothing much you can do about it, it's a design flaw.

The rest I think I would be booking in with the dealer to get fixed. They might argue that the rear seat centre 'wrinkle' is a natural artefact of leather.

The rest I think should get fixed without argument. Snags are irritating but not a massive problem if the dealer is good.

I'm also 3 weeks into ownership and the car is great.. but i like you find point 5 very annoying.

Interestingly i even contacted skoda about it askign if it was a known problem and if there was wany solution.

Interestingly there response was:

Thank you for your email dated 01 November 2010, regarding the issue with your vehicle.

I can confirm that we do not have any records of an issue on the Octavia range of vehicles relating to your problem. I would

therefore suggest that you contact your nearest Skoda retailer to get them to check that there is no fault with the vehicle that

might be causing the rain to enter the interior.

Which is odd because i'm sure other peeps on here have said they have mentioned it to skoda too. Not yet had chance to take it to a dealer, but in all honesty i think its a design issue. Just hope it doesnt wreck my rear headrests.

The water from the hatch problem is much worse with my new Octavia than the old one. The reason I think is that I never waxed the old one so the water didn't sit in great globules like it does on the new one.

I guess it will improve with age ;) but until then I just sweep the water off the lid with my hand before I open the lid.

I can confirm that we do not have any records of an issue on the Octavia range of vehicles relating to your problem.

Skoda UK are well known for denying quality and reliability issues with their products, even if they are aware of them - as are most major manufacturers.

Admitting there is a problem opens them up to liability and therefore expensive and embarrassing recalls.

Your first call should be to your dealer, as they are likely to be much more helpful in fixing common niggles.

Thanks for your advice and comments guys really appreciate it, I have tried the opening slower and that works sort off, I carry cleaning cloths in the car at all times anyway but now I am changing these on a daily basis due to them being wet lol....and when I have opened the boot placed the stuff in I need to, I then wipe the interior down and close the boot :( bit gutted about it but sounds like there isn't anything that can be done.

I have attached the pictures I sent to Skoda I couldn't get a good one of the "rubbing paint" as the day I took the pictures it was sunny and the reflection just bounced, but I will try when it's dark and post up if it works :)

th_Centrearmrest1.jpg?t=1288943551

th_Middlerearseat1.jpg?t=1288943551

th_Middlerearseat2.jpg?t=1288943551

th_Passengerconsole1.jpg?t=1288943551

th_Passengerconsole2.jpg?t=1288943551

Edited by Miss George

You should get the interior niggles sorted without issue ( my fiat 500 had to have a complete drivers seat recover within weeks as it was split where the headrest slots into the seat- it was @ the factory as it was a clean straigh edge cut, & not a jagged tear)

do a search on the boot leak if it really bothers you that much, I will be doing this myself when mine arrives. :)

I don't think there is anything that can be done about the water pouring into the boot when opening the lid it's just something we will all have to live with :(

Booked in with Skoda next Wedneday with the service department so I will let you know when I have been and what they say :)

7) The handbook folder – I took the books out to read them and as I placed them back into the folder the sides ripped, is there a possibility I could have a new folder that does not fall apart?

If I was the after sales guy at your skoda garage, I'd struggle to keep a straight face on this one.

But I know what you mean, I have a credit card wallet that keeps splitting on me.

You actually read the books ?

The water on head from boot is not much fun, I agree.

My leathery bits look a bit saggy in places but I couldn't be arsed to complain.

Good luck.

dont be too hard on yourself for missing the small things we are all over excited when we pick up a new car, even more so when its been a long wait. Mine is in the dealers next week for a paint issue on the rear bumper as its flaking off.

for the paint issue you will probably be looking at 3-4 weeks (min) for skoda to come back on it to the dealer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys well went to see Skoda two weeks ago and 2 hours later I am leaving with a great big smile on my face :D

1) Armrest console felt on the passenger side has not been applied correctly and is not flush to the rest and it is creased.

They are replacing the felt on the console they said it should not be like that

2) Rear seats – the center where it is leather does not seem to have been pulled taught and does not sit flat, I do not put anything on seats only bums and I have only had 2 passengers since I have collected the car and they both sat in the front.

I have decided to leave this after advice from alot of people, and now people have sat in the back it's sorting it's self out

3) Center console passenger side board/felt is not attached to the console correctly and there is a gap along with showing glue.

This is not glued it is clipped, so they took the car from me and removed the boards and squeezed the clips and put it back and it's LOADS better :D all sorted in 2 hours

4) Center console drivers side board/felt is not attached to the console correctly

Same a point 3

5) When the boot is opened water rolls off the lid and falls into the boot, I am not sure if this is a design fault or if anything can be done but I have to dry the car before closing the boot and it still steams up!!

Aghh nightmare but I will get over it and have to live with it :D they said to me that it's better than the Mk1.....I said that's interesting as I have heard it's the other way round.....but the sales man was insistant that he was right....so I let him have it his way hehehe :D

6) When the boot is opened there is a black tubes that hold the wires on both sides, however the one on the offside, the bung that is attached to the mainframe is rubbing onto the paintwork and leaving a mark/rubbing the paint off/staining

Evelyn (the car) goes into Skoda today and I will have her back Friday wooohooo they haven't seen anything like it and were shocked and a bit disapointed, they said that I wouldn't get rust it's a galvanized shell.....to which I pointed out so was my passat but that didn't stop it getting rust spots!!!!

Spudhoolio I didn't ask pmsl ;) but I will when I collect her hahahaha :D and I will give you a update if he laughed at me, and have I read the book erms......yes for the tyre pressure monitor thing as didn't know how it worked as never had it and wanted to NEEDED to know how it worked other than that no :p

Ssoooo I am REALLY pleased with how they have dealt with the issues that I have and the car :D they were very open, honest, caring and very understanding. I sat chatting to the skoda guys about tracks and motors it was a very plesant experiance whilst having brews for 2 hours then they booked me in for the rest of the work and here I am two weeks later and she is being sorted. VERY VERY VERY pleased and happy lady I even feel I might give them a thank you card......well it is christmas ;)

Well my Mark 1 VRS was much worse with water in the boot than the Mk2 I replaced it with. So I would be inclined to agree with the dealer that the Mk1 was worse with water in the boot.

Edited by PSM

Sounds like another result with a dealer who understands customer service, all to rare these days. We had a couple of niggles on the Scout when new & like you we have a decent dealer, no fobbing off, just got it sorted

Right then guys and girls I am made up :D

All is good they have replaced the armrest console so all fitted OK and the paint work that has been done is amazing so pleased. Great body shop turns out that it's not the wire loom that is rubbing it's where the factory has missed which is better in a way :D

Spudhoolio – They weren’t impressed with the folder falling to bits and said I can have a new one…..but there is a down side pmsl……..there will be no green stitching which is on the vRS folder so I haven’t had one yet. I did get a smile but I didn’t get laughed at :D

B)