VW Tiguan TDI DSG

helix

I was looking at the brochure for the VW Tiguan the other day (heresy I know) and I'm sure I recall that the 2.0 tdi was being offered with a 7 speed DSG. Until now i believed that engine was only available with 6 speed DSG, as in the Yeti, as the 7 speed was only suitable up to c 250 nm torque. Looks like there have been further developments (or a misprint!).

Edited by helix

I was looking at the brochure for the VW Tiguan the other day (heresy I know) and I'm sure I recall that the 2.0 tdi was being offered with a 7 speed DSG. Until now i believed that engine was only available with 6 speed DSG, as in the Yeti, as the 7 speed was only suitable up to c 250 nm torque. Looks like there have been further developments (or a misprint!).

Be interesting to hear what those in the know say - I thought the same as you. Also, the 7 speed box is, or was, a dry concentric clutch, versus the wet clutch on the 6 speed. Not sure what difference that makes, except I drove 60,000 miles on a wet one, and it didn't miss a beat (Golf), so I naturally feel it does at least work long-term..

The 7 speed DSG is a dry clutch system and can't handle torque like the wet clutch 6 speed can. If they are offering a 7 speed DSG TDi it will have to have less than 280Nm and therefore probably be the 1.6CR engine.

I agree with James on the torque capabilities of the 7 speed dsg box. However I have just been on the VW website and it is true, they list the car as available with the 7 speed dsg box mated to either the 2.0 TDI 140, 2.0 TSI 170 or 2.0 TSI 200 PS engines, so maybe VW or Borg Warner have developed a high torque version of the box which is only available on VW and Audi cars at the moment.

Ian

Edited by countryboy

I agree with dieseldogg about the wet or dry clutch being more important than gears with a view to improving fuel consumption. All I can think it is for is to rejig the ratios and to provide a taller top gear to improve consumption a bit.

Ian

Skoda are always several years behind VW/Audi when it comes to hardware.

So I would agree, without even knowing anything about the 'box, that it would be a new one. 'Everybody' seems to think that more ratios is better....(New BMW 520 auto has 8 and is more efficient than the manual version.)

Another example is the CR engine. How long did VW have that before Skoda were allowed to use it?

But, saying that, a VW dealer I visited, said the the VW version of the columbus was not liked, but the Skoda Columbus seemed to get rave reviews. And I thought they were the same. He didn't convince me to part with my cash and buy a Tiguan.

I tried to look at a Ford Kuga today. Tried being the operative word. They had nothing to show me. Looking at the list prices they are more than the Yeti. But then you can get a massive discount off a ford normally.....

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

Skoda are always several years behind VW/Audi when it comes to hardware.

So I would agree, without even knowing anything about the 'box, that it would be a new one. 'Everybody' seems to think that more ratios is better....(New BMW 520 auto has 8 and is more efficient than the manual version.)

Another example is the CR engine. How long did VW have that before Skoda were allowed to use it?

But, saying that, a VW dealer I visited, said the the VW version of the columbus was not liked, but the Skoda Columbus seemed to get rave reviews. And I thought they were the same. He didn't convince me to part with my cash and buy a Tiguan.

I tried to look at a Ford Kuga today. Tried being the operative word. They had nothing to show me. Looking at the list prices they are more than the Yeti. But then you can get a massive discount off a ford normally.....

Mike

This means the 7 speed will replace the 6 speed DSG box in the VAG range. No doubt Skoda will be the last to receive the 7 speeder - 2012 or 2013 at best I suspect.

Not that much in it tbh, IIRC the Tiguan was the first in the VW range, but the Octavia vRS had the CR before the Golf, VW waited for the MK6 before the CR went in so quite a way before.