V7 maps for Columbus

I'm on 2664 but the v7 maps won't load to the hard disk (they work fine from the dvd), would moving to 2764 help? Or is there some way of forcing the disk copy?

Moving to 2724 or 2764 should help. But you may have a faulty DVD drive (which i have come across before)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving to 2724 or 2764 should help. But you may have a faulty DVD drive (which i have come across before)

Oh dear! I thought that had been fixed as it did the upgrade to v6 maps and, I've just checked, the upgrade to 2724!?

Some people have had issues loading the maps on to the drive.

I know of one recently where he just left the disc in the drive and a couple of days later it popped out saying it was done.

If you have update the firmware and V6 maps then i would be inclined to say the DVD drive is fine and it's the disc the Maps are on.

You could try copying the disc to a different media. Verbatim DVD+R and TDK +R (which is what i use) usually seem to work ok.

I know of one recently where he just left the disc in the drive and a couple of days later it popped out saying it was done.

If you have update the firmware and V6 maps then i would be inclined to say the DVD drive is fine and it's the disc the Maps are on.

You could try copying the disc to a different media. Verbatim DVD+R and TDK +R (which is what i use) usually seem to work ok.

Thanks for the ideas but I'm using Verbatim DVD+R and V7 seems to work fine from the DVD (ie 7 character post code and camera pois) so the disk data is being read - it's just not giving me the option to copy to the hdd - anyway this can be forced?. If not, I guess I'll leave in and hope it pops out in due course!

Things to try.

Take the disc out and do a system reboot by pressing <, > & i for about 10 secs until the unit shuts off. It doesn't wipe any data it is the equiv of doing a reboot of a PC.

Once it starts back up put the disc back in and wait. The first time i loaded V7 maps for someone it took circa 10 mins for the save prompt to appear.

You can use a Map partition erase disc (available on VWNavi) but as with anything you do so at your own risk.

Things to try.

Take the disc out and do a system reboot by pressing <, > & i for about 10 secs until the unit shuts off. It doesn't wipe any data it is the equiv of doing a reboot of a PC.

Once it starts back up put the disc back in and wait. The first time i loaded V7 maps for someone it took circa 10 mins for the save prompt to appear.

You can use a Map partition erase disc (available on VWNavi) but as with anything you do so at your own risk.

Thanks again Carl. I've already tried the reboot - without any noticeable difference. I'll have a look for the Map partition erase disk and try that - when it's stopped snowing!

I also had issues with the disk, but I simply recopied it using nero at the slowest available burn speed. This recopied disk worked perfectly and the map loaded in less than 1hour. You must select the disk copy option in either nero or roxio, windows/mac os cannot copy the disk directly.

No they are 2 seperate discs. Most dealers won't touch the firmware upgrades. You can download the firmware from VWNavi.com

Just follow the instructions posted on there and as long as you haven't got a RNS that has had the EEPROM soldered (usually indicated by no code card and a code of 1234) then you "should" be fine to upgrade.

Just be aware though all firmware upgrades are at your own risk.

Carl

Carl, thank you very much for that - so good to have 'someone who knows' to ask!. Not sure what the RNS with soldered EEPROM means - I just bought the car with a Columbus in it - so trust I will be OK

Roger

If the car was supplied with the columbus you should be fine, the issue with the soldered eeproms apply mostly to some ebay sellers.

Thanks - it was supplied with the car which was almost new, ex-demo. but I am worried by the implication that I should have received a 'code card' with the vehicle, or some sort of pin? I have nothing of that sort I know about - do I need to go back to the dealer and ask for this? So sorry to be such a luddite - actually, I looked at the VWNavi site and have to say I couldn't find any place where downloads can be found, or make much head or tail of any of it! Duh!

Thanks, always, for all help!emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I also had issues with the disk, but I simply recopied it using nero at the slowest available burn speed. This recopied disk worked perfectly and the map loaded in less than 1hour. You must select the disk copy option in either nero or roxio, windows/mac os cannot copy the disk directly.

Thanks mannyo, I'll give it a try. Is copying any better than burning another disk (I used UltraISO at x4 speed - the slowest available)?

You dont get a code card with a factory fitted unit, since you will never need it unless you intend to sell the columbus on. The cars ECU has the code stored, so should the battery be disconnected the code is sent to the headunit by the ECU.

You dont get a code card with a factory fitted unit, since you will never need it unless you intend to sell the columbus on. The cars ECU has the code stored, so should the battery be disconnected the code is sent to the headunit by the ECU.

Ah - thanks again - wish I knew about these things...

Carl, thank you very much for that - so good to have 'someone who knows' to ask!. Not sure what the RNS with soldered EEPROM means - I just bought the car with a Columbus in it - so trust I will be OK

Roger

When an RNS is bought from a not so legitimate source what they do is open up the Unit and alter the EEPROM and re-solder it back on. This resets the devices security and usually you find the code is 1234 or something similar. Often it is written on a sticker on the top of the unit. Some of the units on Ebay have had this problem but if you stick to known sellers normally your fine.

As Manny says if yours came supplied with the car then you will be fine to attempt a firmware upgrade. You also wont get a code card as mentioned unless you go and ask for one. The code cards only come with ones that are supplied as retro-fit from main dealers/legitimate sources.

The firmware update is easy enough to do just make sure you do the following:

Burn the disc as slow as possible and ensure you verify it. You can use CD or DVD it doesn't matter. Some people say one or the other. I use both (depending on what i have to hand) and haven't had any problems.

Then to update:

1 - Get in the car DO NOT PUT KEYS IN THE IGNITION

2 - Turn on RNS and eject any discs in it. Insert firmware disc and wait whilst it cycles through.

3 - You get a screen telling you about the firmware and 2 options "OK" & "Cancel" Press "OK"

4 - After about 30secs or so you get another screen warning you about the firmware and asking if your sure you want to continue. Again press "OK"

5 - The unit will now update itself. This takes about 50mins or so. It restarts several times through it so don't panic. Once it is done it will spit the disc out.

Once it has restarted i then always do a forced restart by pressing <, > & i. I do this as some units i have done for people have needed it for all the coding etc to take effect. Others haven't so i just do it as a matter of course now.

HTH

Carl :)

Edited by vRSCarl

When an RNS is bought from a not so legitimate source what they do is open up the Unit and alter the EEPROM and re-solder it back on. This resets the devices security and usually you find the code is 1234 or something similar. Often it is written on a sticker on the top of the unit. Some of the units on Ebay have had this problem but if you stick to known sellers normally your fine.

et al

Carl emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Carl

What can I say? Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post all that - which will give me the confidence to try it, whereas before I would not have known where to start. I need to spend a bit of time on the site finding the downloads, don't worry, I'll certainly do that.

Thanks again and have a great Christmas!

Here you go to save you digging around. Firmware 2764.

276X Clicky

Merry Xmas to you and your family :)

Edit: dont worry it says 2760. All the firmwares are on the same disc it's just for VW Navs its 2760, Skoda is 2764 etc. The unit recognises which device it's on and loads the correct files from the firmware disc.

Edited by vRSCarl

Tremendous, sir, thanks yet again!

A word of caution

I would hope that your car, like mine is very new, would have the latest firmware installed. I have just installed the v7 maps and get the full uk 7 digit postcode data entry. Therefore I do not need to update the firmware. I also have voice control working which is brill.

So before you attempt to upgrade the firmware, check that you aren't already running the latest version necessary first.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

A word of caution

I would hope that your car, like mine is very new, would have the latest firmware installed. I have just installed the v7 maps and get the full uk 7 digit postcode data entry. Therefore I do not need to update the firmware. I also have voice control working which is brill.

So before you attempt to upgrade the firmware, check that you aren't already running the latest version necessary first.

Mike

Yes, thanks for that Mike. I am in dialogue with the dealer re V7, it having come with V6.6. I am hoping to twist his arm a bit...we'll see.

This is such a good thread, with great info generously given - there will come a time when all our kit is out of date and, to load map V15.2 we will need to upgrade firmware, so it is great to 'tuck away' regardless!

And another note of caution - I managed to brick mine but was lucky enough to be sent another by the seller.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but do be careful and follow someone who has done this successfully instructions (e.g. Carl above) to the letter.

How can I 'persuade' my Columbus to save my V7 maps to the hard drive?

The first time I put the V7 disk in, it asked me if I wanted to use the new map data - yes. A few minutes later, it asked me whether I wanted to copy the map info to hard disk - yes again. I waited half an hour or so, and nothing seemed to be happening, so I pressed 'eject'. I got a warning that the data was still being down-loaded, and showed me its progress with a thermometer scale. So I cancelled the eject. 30 mins later, repeated the eject, and saw that the progress was nearly complete, so cancelled the eject again. 30 mins later, pressed eject, and the thermometer showed about a quarter complete, so it seemed to have started again. Over the next hour or so, I checked a few times, and it seemed to be copying, re-starting, copying, restarting etc. So I left it overnight.

Now my nav works, but only if the DVD is in. I guess it has removed my original V6 maps, and is now operating from the DVD.

Tried re-setting Columbus (<, >, i), re-inserted the DVD, but it still didn't prompt me to download to HD. Suspecting that the original DVD might have been faulty, I burnt a new one, using the lowest possible write speed. No change.

Grateful for any expert advice on how to get the maps onto my HD.

Do the upgrade whilst the car is actually running, I had exactly the same thing, sat watching the progress scale in -8 for 20 mins with the car off and it went to 95% then restarted, gave up eventually, next morning the maps were not present and the unit was asking for the DVD, re-inserted it drove for 5 mins to drop my little girl at the childminders and half way there it suddenly announced it had done it and all has been working perfectly with full 7 digit PC search ever since! :thumbup:

Do the upgrade whilst the car is actually running, I had exactly the same thing, sat watching the progress scale in -8 for 20 mins with the car off and it went to 95% then restarted, gave up eventually, next morning the maps were not present and the unit was asking for the DVD, re-inserted it drove for 5 mins to drop my little girl at the childminders and half way there it suddenly announced it had done it and all has been working perfectly with full 7 digit PC search ever since! :thumbup:

Thanks very much. I'll give it a go, once the snow clears enough to get out and about!