Cat Back? / Decat? / Sport Cat?

Pretty much what the title states, Just wanting to hear from you guys first hand. I was looking at a miltek catback or a miltek sport cat exhuast system. Plus I feel the twin pipes look quiet smart. But is there any notable difference between the sport cat and the cat back system bar the price.

The reason why am not so much intrested in the decat option is ive read reports on here about warning lights and MOT failures.

Which doesnt appeal to me, Plus if anyone has any videos just so I can gauge the diffrence in sound between standard and miltek.

Thank You :yes:

Guest westallc

diesel doesnt need a cat as they dont test emissions just smoke test so best thing to do is remove it and get a decat

Edited by westallc

Guest westallc

I may be wrong, but ive heard a decat can damage the turbo due to less back pressure?

whoever told you that hasnt a clue about turboe'd cars lol

Guest westallc

Thanks for the replys, but surely a cat is there to effect emissons? e.g reduce them.

what you have to remember is this car is not just sold in this country !!! other countries have alot tighter emmisions laws and controls in place

As said previously a cat isn't needed for the mot on a diesel, I have a decat and have had no problems with the mot because of it and nothing has been mentioned about it and that's an mot at the dealers too !

A decat will be cheaper than a sports cat too and have more gain :)

whoever told you that hasnt a clue about turboe'd cars lol

REALLY? I suggest you ask Kev at Jabba Sport about it. Unless the decat is done properly you can reduce the back pressure too much and damage the standard turbo. Certainly, decat on a hybrid is different, but the stock turbos are designed to work with the backpressure from the catalytic convertor.

what you have to remember is this car is not just sold in this country !!! other countries have alot tighter emissions laws and controls in place

And the very tightest of those emissions standards (same as German TÃœV) are coming here from 1/1/12. And they do test CO2 on a diesel. Be aware. If you have an EU III car you'll need the CAT and on EU IV cars you'll need the EGR valve working to specification too.

There's lots that have said that down to how the vnt works in the turbo apparently. IMO, a decat isn't needed, you can get big power with a totally standard exhaust. Just get a cat back and save your money.

From what I have been told there is a couple of BHP available from an upgraded exhaust on a vRS. The only reason to change it is if you don't like the noise and want to annoy your neighbours first thing in the morning or you've changed everything else and you MUST have an extra 2bhp.

A decat will be cheaper than a sports cat too and have more gain

How much more gain? There is only a miniscule amount of extra power to be had from a sports exhaust on a Fabia vRS.

Had a Milltek de-cat exhaust & downpipe fitted by Star Performance in October to my re-mapped 2003 car. It did not fail it's MOT. The turbo whistle is slightly louder now. The turbo spools up quicker. The exhaust note is a little deeper but not neighbour annoying or annoying at motorway speeds. Feels much more than 2bhp!!!

It really makes a difference to the car & is guaranteed for life as long as you own the car. Buy one.

Had a Milltek de-cat exhaust & downpipe fitted by Star Performance in October to my re-mapped 2003 car. It did not fail it's MOT. The turbo whistle is slightly louder now. The turbo spools up quicker. The exhaust note is a little deeper but not neighbour annoying or annoying at motorway speeds. Feels much more than 2bhp!!!

It really makes a difference to the car & is guaranteed for life as long as you own the car. Buy one.

It will probably fail an MOT from 1/1/12 onwards when they start checking the function of your catalytic convertor. And lifetime guarantees in my experience are generally not worth the paper they are written on. Certainly not the one Koni offer anyway.

It will probably fail an MOT from 1/1/12 onwards when they start checking the function of your catalytic convertor. And lifetime guarantees in my experience are generally not worth the paper they are written on. Certainly not the one Koni offer anyway.

Really? Or just Chinese whispers again?

matt

Really? Or just Chinese whispers again?

matt

No, really. Full EU III or EU IV emissions compliance from 1/1/12. Particulates test, CO2 test. Draft legislation (if enacted) will probably require remaps to be tested for compliance to the cars original emissions or they will have to sold with the 'For competition/offroad use only" rider that is applied to all sorts of stuff that's not legal at the moment. Obviously, you cannot apply that retrospectively, but you don't have to as any existing remaps will either pass the emissions tests or they won't so they are effectively self-enforcingly retrospective. Quite neat really.

When did that happen?! I read all that talk about MOT`s the other week, which was a bit over hyped, and massive amounts of it was near impossible to implement. My mates a MOT tester, he said nothing about it either :wonder:

Matt

The EU Regulation has been passed, and must be adopted by the UK on or before 1/1/12. All it's basically doing is unifying the MOT standard across Europe so that a UK MOT = German MOT = Polish MOT etc. As the German standard is the toughest, they have basically taken most of that.

The MOT testing stations already have 99% of the equipment required, they just have to start using it.

When did that happen?! I read all that talk about MOT`s the other week, which was a bit over hyped, and massive amounts of it was near impossible to implement. My mates a MOT tester, he said nothing about it either :wonder:

Matt

Which bit was impossible to enact? The regulation that was in the original post is EU law right now. The 1/1/12 start date is basically to give everyone time to decide how they are going to enact it and then draw up the relevant legislation. The whole thing about "Illegal" remaps is very simple to check. An illegal remap is one that causes the vehicle to fail an MOT by operating outwith it's certification.

The MOT test stations already have the kit to check all the emissions, they just don't use most of it on diesels. Start using it on diesels and you'll find the illegal remaps. Job done.

The same goes for catalyst and DPF deletes. No-one would think of stripping the catalytic convertor off a petrol car because it would fail it's emissions test. If they start doing emissions tests on diesel cars with the catalysts deleted then they will also fail their MOTs.

Wja seems to know the score. I have little knowledge on turbos but I DO have a good knowledge of n/a race cars (tin tops), relevence being the mods on paper are certainly not always the best. I would reccomend the decat if you want performance (not strictly power) a decat makes the turbo spool up alot better. This is comparing my standard vrs to a vrs with just a decat. No map or anything. It's like a lightened flywheel. I wouldn't have a car without one. They are amazing mods, add no power at all on paper but they make a massivly noticable difference on the way the car drives. Like unbelivable. I would listen to the big names who have fabias of there own (jabba!). They are very serious. And check what there clutch kit comes with. I was over the moon when I saw it, no where else seems to do them ;)

Edited by javi20xe

Which bit was impossible to enact? The regulation that was in the original post is EU law right now. The 1/1/12 start date is basically to give everyone time to decide how they are going to enact it and then draw up the relevant legislation. The whole thing about "Illegal" remaps is very simple to check. An illegal remap is one that causes the vehicle to fail an MOT by operating outwith it's certification.

The MOT test stations already have the kit to check all the emissions, they just don't use most of it on diesels. Start using it on diesels and you'll find the illegal remaps. Job done.

The same goes for catalyst and DPF deletes. No-one would think of stripping the catalytic convertor off a petrol car because it would fail it's emissions test. If they start doing emissions tests on diesel cars with the catalysts deleted then they will also fail their MOTs.

I just reread the document, the bits your talking about are only for cars "first used on or after july 2008". So thats not going to affect use fabia 1 owners.

Matt