THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

Where did you order them from mate?

My old boss now owns Sinton Tyres Ltd, so did me a special price especially as when I ordered last year, only 2 of the 4 came from the manufacturer (hence fitment of Wrangler AT/R early). Have a look at their website www.sintontyres.co.uk and www.tyrespec.co.uk; but its worth speaking to Ian Bowell, as they are only ordering winter tyres to customer order (i.e. not for stock). 225/45 17 was fractionally more expensive as an Avon than a Cooper, but is newer so may be better. These are too small for my allroad, hence ordering the 55 profile too (which just fit the Scout too); and 94 load index cuts it very fine too but is fine on the Scout or A4.

You should find a good saving against the Contis.

Sinton Tyres Ltd.

Unit 10, IO Centre

Fingle Drive

Stonebridge

Milton Keynes

MK13 0AT

Tel: 01908 665591

Fax: 01908 326140

Web: www.sintontyres.co.uk

Email: [email protected]

if anyone is looking for a set of winter tyres please may i suggest a look in the 'car parts for sale ' forum.

Thanks for letting us know but alas 15" wheels do not fit the Yeti... Hope you get them sold soon!

Does anyone have experience of using chains with the 6.5J 16" wheel? I know the manual states that you need 6J, so this is perhaps a stupid question but Niall's original post did mention using more expensive slim line chains with 6.5Js.

Do 9mm links count as slim-line chains or standard chains?

Thanks

Started looking around for some winter rubbers - Buy them now and stick them in the garage until November.

Whats the charge to swap rubber over? I'm planning to get the same size as I have now and just swap the tyres. My summer tyres will be down to 2mm by November anyway.

Started looking around for some winter rubbers - Buy them now and stick them in the garage until November.

Whats the charge to swap rubber over? I'm planning to get the same size as I have now and just swap the tyres. My summer tyres will be down to 2mm by November anyway.

Tyre dealers typically charge £5 to 'change a cover' plus £2 disposal of the old one and £8 for balancing; £15 per wheel/tyre. Helpful?

I've been able to get myself another set of winter wheels and tyres with 215/60 tyres. So my 205/55 set is now for sale on eBay. Just do a search there if anyone is interested. :thumbup: Or PM me.

I've been able to get myself another set of winter wheels and tyres with 215/60 tyres. So my 205/55 set is now for sale on eBay. Just do a search there if anyone is interested. :thumbup: Or PM me.

Thats a nice tyre depth gauge - Better than my pound coin!

Thats a nice tyre depth gauge - Better than my pound coin!

It won best in test in the AutoExpress magazine test recently for tyre pressure gauges. Got it for £6,99 from the Internet. It also has a tyre pressure gauge and charges up with a solar panel. Amazing value.

It won best in test in the AutoExpress magazine test recently for tyre pressure gauges. Got it for £6,99 from the Internet. It also has a tyre pressure gauge and charges up with a solar panel. Amazing value.

I got the same one in Boots a couple of years back. They were selling them off half price after Christmas so got it for a fiver.

It is a quality gauge. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered my winter rubbers today from mytyres.

Avon Ice Touring STs as a good price and very positive reviews on other UK car forums.

205 55 R16 91H £68 each including delivery - From the tracking info they are coming from Germany.

Other sites had them at £85 and £98 excluding delivery after a recent price increase.

Anybody managed to work out what the correct selections are to get a set of wheels and winter tyres on mytyres.co.uk for a 2004> Octavia Estate vRS Diesel.

This site seems to indicate you can fit 15inch rims to this car but the post above seem to be saying you need 16inch rims for a VRS.

Annoyingly I've ordered some 15inchers already, so could cancel if they're the wrong size, but now I'm not sure either way!!!!!!!!

Hi being based in Germany i had to buy winnter tyers ended up buying 16" passat steel wheels the ET makes it sit perfect as if spacers where fitted, 152 are no good for the vrs due to the caliper, if any 1 else needs any more info let me know you defo notice the difference in winter.

Ordered my winter rubbers today from mytyres.

Avon Ice Touring STs as a good price and very positive reviews on other UK car forums.

205 55 R16 91H £68 each including delivery - From the tracking info they are coming from Germany.

Other sites had them at £85 and £98 excluding delivery after a recent price increase.

dont octavias require the xl tyres(extra load)or is that just the vrs.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran my Octavia Scout on Continental Winter Contact TS 830 P (225 50 17) last winter - October through to Easter. They were superb, excellent all round winter tyre for a Scottish winter. What surprised me was the mpg - much better than when running on the SP1's.

I know everyone will have their own preferences but I would recommend these tyres.

Edited by octsco

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a couple of pairs of these www.easy-grip.eu from Costco for £50 + VAT per set. They're Michelin branded so should be OK. Planning to use them with some 225/45 R 17 CWTs which will also fit my A4 S-line where clearance is tight. Anyone else have any experience of them?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking to get a set of steel rims and winter tyres but can't find the same size in any of the sites (mytyre, reifen, eirtyres - I'm looking in the 'tyre on rim' sections) as are on my 1.4 Octy 2 : 205/60/R15 91v. The "closest" I can find seems to be 195 65 15s - will these do the job or do I need to search harder/further?

Cheers

K

• 2 weeks later...
can't find the same size in any of the sites (mytyre, reifen, eirtyres - I'm looking in the 'tyre on rim' sections) as are on my 1.4 Octy 2 : 205/60/R15 91v. The "closest" I can find seems to be 195 65 15s - will these do the job or do I need to search harder/further?

They should be fine.

On my Octy I, the standard size is 205/55R16 and the two sizes you mention are both listed as alternatives on the inside of the fuel filler cap.

I would recommend the narrower tyre for use on snow and ice as the contact patch with be slightly narrower and slightly elongated (although still the same area) when compared to that of the wider tyre, making it better for accelerating and braking.

Looking at the mytyres site - I have two speed choices T (190kmph) and H (210kmph) - the summer tyres are H - do the winter tyres have to be the same rating? Also can the alloy wheel studs be used on steel wheels?

It's for a Octavia Greenline II. (Summer Tyres - 195/65 R91 91H)

Looking at the mytyres site - I have two speed choices T (190kmph) and H (210kmph) - the summer tyres are H - do the winter tyres have to be the same rating? Also can the alloy wheel studs be used on steel wheels?

It's for a Octavia Greenline II. (Summer Tyres - 195/65 R91 91H)

The speed rating does not have to be the same - that is why you have a Winter Tyre speed option in the maxidot to warn you should ever approach 190km/h! :giggle:

The standard alloy wheel nuts are used on the steel wheels just without the little plastic covers they come with.

Hi there,

I absolutely swear by winter/snow tyres living up in the north west scottish highlands!

Always change over to winter tyres at the start of November and then swap back in April, or when the last of the white stuff has gone!

I can't recommend them highly enough, especially having totalled a car without them :'(

Cheers,

Torridom

****PRICE RISE WARNING***

Hi all, just watching the prices on winter tyres over the last few days and they have started to go up significantly so if you are in the market get in sooner rather than later. Just purchased a set of winters for my wife’s VW T5 from Poland and they were £64 a corner on Tuesday, they are now £196 a corner! An extreme example I know, but I have also noted MyTyres prices going up by £20- £50 over the last week. Seems that some long term weather forecaster has predicated a harsh winter again.